Is Buddhism a religion?

Om85

Enlightened One,

Please guide me - I am blinded by the light (Manfred Mann)

In case if You Are asking me.......

My pleasure, first tell me where you wish to go or any problem.

That is the problem.

I do not know where I wish to go nor do I recognize any problem.

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Enlightened One,

Please guide me - I am blinded by the light (Manfred Mann)

In case if You Are asking me.......

My pleasure, first tell me where you wish to go or any problem.

That is the problem.

I do not know where I wish to go nor do I recognize any problem.

Not to worry, there is no problem that Buddhism cannot help.

But I need to inform you first...That you need to be honest, otherwise your problem will get worse.

Will you willing to go for it ?

People who are intellectually committed to living a philosophical Way of Life, do not bow (while passing a moulded image, 20-times a day) or recite "pre-scripted" prayers, to the image of a phophet who died 2,558 years ago. Yes, Buddhism is a religion.

Only for the guy I am with. I love to give too much.

Are you saying you are a homosexual, or is your avatar the real you? I have no prejudice about such matters, but I understand that sexual gratification of any nature, has to be relinquished on the Buddhist path.

The Buddha never taught that. You are being misleading or misled.

What are you talking about?

As I understand, here's what the Buddha taught, as follows.

"If one, longing for sexual pleasure, achieves it, yes, he's enraptured at heart. The mortal gets what he wants. But if for that person — longing, desiring — the pleasures diminish, he's shattered, as if shot with an arrow.
— Kama Sutta, Sutta Nipata
Buddha then goes on to say:
So one, always mindful, should avoid sexual desires. Letting them go, he will cross over the flood like one who, having bailed out the boat, has reached the far shore."
Do you have a problem with the above quote? How is that misleading? The craving for sensual pleasures is one of the main causes of suffering. Didn't you know that, Only1?

People who are intellectually committed to living a philosophical Way of Life, do not bow (while passing a moulded image, 20-times a day) or recite "pre-scripted" prayers, to the image of a phophet who died 2,558 years ago. Yes, Buddhism is a religion.

No difference if it is philosophy, cult, ancient science or religion. Most importantly it helps people without victimising or misleading with lies or cheating their money with promises of heaven after death. Just an example.

Only for the guy I am with. I love to give too much.

Are you saying you are a homosexual, or is your avatar the real you? I have no prejudice about such matters, but I understand that sexual gratification of any nature, has to be relinquished on the Buddhist path.

The Buddha never taught that. You are being misleading or misled.

What are you talking about?

As I understand, here's what the Buddha taught, as follows.

"If one, longing for sexual pleasure, achieves it, yes, he's enraptured at heart. The mortal gets what he wants. But if for that person longing, desiring the pleasures diminish, he's shattered, as if shot with an arrow.

 Kama Sutta, Sutta Nipata

Buddha then goes on to say:

So one, always mindful, should avoid sexual desires. Letting them go, he will cross over the flood like one who, having bailed out the boat, has reached the far shore."

Do you have a problem with the above quote? How is that misleading? The craving for sensual pleasures is one of the main causes of suffering. Didn't you know that, Only1?

The key words are longing for sexual pleasure or sexual desires.

In your earlier statement, you implied that all sexual activities, even those out of love. No ? I understand them clearly but differently from you ?

The key words are longing for sexual pleasure or sexual desires.

In your earlier statement, you implied that all sexual activities, even those out of love. No ? I understand them clearly but differently from you ?

"Buddha then goes on to say:
Did you miss that part of the quote, Only1?
I find the concept of engaging in sexual activity purely out of love, or compassion, with no sexual longing and no sexual desire or sensual pleasure, a rather odd concept. Can you elaborate? How does one do that? wink.png
Perhaps the confusion lies in what I meant by the 'Buddhist Path'. when I wrote, "I understand that sexual gratification of any nature, has to be relinquished on the Buddhist path."
I do of course mean, the Buddhist path toward enlightenment, which involves the cessation of all desire.
If you are not on the path toward enlightenment, as you appear not to be, then there are a number of rules relating to sexual conduct, which are similar in all the major religions, such as avoidance of rape, adultery, homosexuality, and so on.
It is of course understood that celibacy might not be a practical option for the Buddhist layperson who is leading a 'so-called' normal life with family and job. But you can't have it both ways, sex with love, which is the best sex of all, and enlightenment too. wink.png

to Only : My last sentence was just to let you know how much I care about being reborn as a pig, I will never be counted among any religious group with one exception: Judaism cuz I was born a Jew but I don't belief in gods cuz as I told you all religions are nothing more than superstitions and are equally stupid( including Buddhism). You talk about ignorance, then illuminate us with your wisdom so we all can see the truth too. wink.png

This subject is very big and I should not hijack other's threads.

To answer you, you need to understand the fundamentals and the basic. Since you are born a Jews, first understand how your religion started by copying Hinduism and start a new religion to cheat and later how Christianity and Islam betrayed Judaism. This is a good example of karma too but you will not understand at this point.

I started 2 threads and If you ask me there, I will share more.

You are not hijacking any thread since this is my own thread, but with that piece of knowledge that you just provided us, I finally understood that there is not point in continuing this discussion. wink.png
Then how are you going to learn wisdom if you are not willing to let go or acknowledge ignorance ?

Why do you think Judaism or Christianity taught or mention wisdom ? To keep followers stupid !!

Go read some basics on Hinduism and you will agree with me thAt Judaism copied the Big flood and the Creator God concept from them.

Well the creator god and big flood concept comes from the Sumerian "The Epic of Gilgamesh" that are much more older than any Hindu civilization but anyways who copy who is pointless, those people that claim that there is/are god/gods must to prove their claims, if you have no proof then..... wink.png

Then they will tell you you have to proof to say gods don't exist.

I don't use proof on religions, it's not science.

I use logic and common sense will do.

For e.g....If almighty God, how come Christianity and Islam need to fight for so long ? If prayers can be made, what if 2 people of the same faith prayed for the opposites to happen ? Anyway evolution already debunked Adam and Eve claims

Take note Buddhism has nothing debunked by science or logic although science could not prove rebirth or karma yet..

I don't need to proof that god doesn't exist because I'm not making that claim wink.png you claim that god exist then prove it. apply science to everything bcuz it is the best way in which we can get knowledge, if you can't apply science then no need to waste time thinking about it. We have no need to debunk Buddhism bcuz it debunks itself, for example where do the souls of all the people living now come from? wink.png and could give you plenty of arguments of why Buddhism is illogical.

I never claim there is God.

I said Christianity and Islam debunked themselves by both science and logic.

Buddhism is not debunked by science and logic as they never claim prayers can can met and they never claim of an almighty God. So you better understand that first.

As for the souls that you called, it's energy in scientific terms. They are started from the Big bang. Energy cannot be destroyed, so when a person dies, it gets,transferred to another form or body.

Yes, they do claim that prayers can be answer and that there are engels etc. It seems to me that you need to do your homework about Buddhism, but in any case for believing in rebirth, samsara , etc you are implying that there is a creator god. ;)

to Only : My last sentence was just to let you know how much I care about being reborn as a pig, I will never be counted among any religious group with one exception: Judaism cuz I was born a Jew but I don't belief in gods cuz as I told you all religions are nothing more than superstitions and are equally stupid( including Buddhism). You talk about ignorance, then illuminate us with your wisdom so we all can see the truth too. wink.png

This subject is very big and I should not hijack other's threads.

To answer you, you need to understand the fundamentals and the basic. Since you are born a Jews, first understand how your religion started by copying Hinduism and start a new religion to cheat and later how Christianity and Islam betrayed Judaism. This is a good example of karma too but you will not understand at this point.

I started 2 threads and If you ask me there, I will share more.

You are not hijacking any thread since this is my own thread, but with that piece of knowledge that you just provided us, I finally understood that there is not point in continuing this discussion. wink.png
Then how are you going to learn wisdom if you are not willing to let go or acknowledge ignorance ?

Why do you think Judaism or Christianity taught or mention wisdom ? To keep followers stupid !!

Go read some basics on Hinduism and you will agree with me thAt Judaism copied the Big flood and the Creator God concept from them.

Well the creator god and big flood concept comes from the Sumerian "The Epic of Gilgamesh" that are much more older than any Hindu civilization but anyways who copy who is pointless, those people that claim that there is/are god/gods must to prove their claims, if you have no proof then..... wink.png

Then they will tell you you have to proof to say gods don't exist.

I don't use proof on religions, it's not science.

I use logic and common sense will do.

For e.g....If almighty God, how come Christianity and Islam need to fight for so long ? If prayers can be made, what if 2 people of the same faith prayed for the opposites to happen ? Anyway evolution already debunked Adam and Eve claims

Take note Buddhism has nothing debunked by science or logic although science could not prove rebirth or karma yet..

I don't need to proof that god doesn't exist because I'm not making that claim wink.png you claim that god exist then prove it. apply science to everything bcuz it is the best way in which we can get knowledge, if you can't apply science then no need to waste time thinking about it. We have no need to debunk Buddhism bcuz it debunks itself, for example where do the souls of all the people living now come from? wink.png and could give you plenty of arguments of why Buddhism is illogical.

Buddhism is not debunked by science and logic as they never claim prayers can can met and they never claim of an almighty God. So you better understand that first.

As for the souls that you called, it's energy in scientific terms. They are started from the Big bang. Energy cannot be destroyed, so when a person dies, it gets,transferred to another form or body.

Yes, they do claim that prayers can be answer and that there are engels etc. It seems to me that you need to do your homework about Buddhism, but in any case for believing in rebirth, samsara , etc you are implying that there is a creator god. wink.png

implying a creator?

how so?

Yes, they do claim that prayers can be answer and that there are engels etc. It seems to me that you need to do your homework about Buddhism, but in any case for believing in rebirth, samsara , etc you are implying that there is a creator god. wink.png

implying a creator?

how so?

Very simple, from where do buddhist got the notion of rebirth, samsara and karma? If you belief in those three concepts you are believing in Hindu doctrine, so you are accepting that there is a creator God that created everything including the laws of karma, samsara and rebirth. Don't forget that sidharta was a sadhu for many years.

implying a creator?

how so?

Very simple, from where do buddhist got the notion of rebirth, samsara and karma? If you belief in those three concepts you are believing in Hindu doctrine, so you are accepting that there is a creator God that created everything including the laws of karma, samsara and rebirth. Don't forget that sidharta was a sadhu for many years.

and he realized he was getting nowhere and left it behind. just because you accept concepts that hindus do doesnt mean you accept that they were created. false logic.

implying a creator?

how so?

and he realized he was getting nowhere and left it behind. just because you accept concepts that hindus do doesnt mean you accept that they were created. false logic.

Not false logic at all, without a creator god there is no soul, no rebirth, no karma and now samsara. Buddhism only makes sense if you belief in rebirth and believing in rebirth is a belief not a fact.

implying a creator?

how so?

I don't understand your point. I guess you are either ignorant or spinning.

Hinduism believed in a Creator God as well as karma and rebirth. Buddhism never said there are no gods although they dont pray to any gods. As for karma and rebirth, they must have believed or knew it since the beginning of the religion, it makes sense.

Christianity don't makes sense because they claimed a creator God that is almighty but how come Judaism came later than Hinduism and how come an almighty God cannot get rid of bad things or prevent bad happenings ? Prayers also don't make sense, 2 people in the same place, one praying for rain, another not, who gets it ? So it's a fraud to cheat people, you see the point?

implying a creator?

how so?

I don't understand your point. I guess you are either ignorant or spinning.

Hinduism believed in a Creator God as well as karma and rebirth. Buddhism never said there are no gods although they dont pray to any gods. As for karma and rebirth, they must have believed or knew it since the beginning of the religion, it makes sense.

Christianity don't makes sense because they claimed a creator God that is almighty but how come Judaism came later than Hinduism and how come an almighty God cannot get rid of bad things or prevent bad happenings ? Prayers also don't make sense, 2 people in the same place, one praying for rain, another not, who gets it ? So it's a fraud to cheat people, you see the point?

I havent mentioned Christianity and Islam, for me they are just fairy tales same as Buddhism. first of all you shouldn't say: "Buddhism doesn't...." because there are many Buddhisms, thereavada and mahayana buddhist both belief in angels, gods etc. Second my point is if you have a belief you should back up that belief with proof saying that " As for karma and rebirth, they must have believed or knew it since the beginning of the religion, it makes sense."

Doesn't make any difference, you are accepting a belief just because ignorant people believed that thousands of years ago, and it doesn't make any sense.

I havent mentioned Christianity and Islam, for me they are just fairy tales same as Buddhism. first of all you shouldn't say: "Buddhism doesn't...." because there are many Buddhisms, thereavada and mahayana buddhist both belief in angels, gods etc. Second my point is if you have a belief you should back up that belief with proof saying that " As for karma and rebirth, they must have believed or knew it since the beginning of the religion, it makes sense."

Doesn't make any difference, you are accepting a belief just because ignorant people believed that thousands of years ago, and it doesn't make any sense.

as many teachers have pointed out, a person can concentrate on understanding dukkha, anicca and anatta , walking the eightfold path, practising meditation without concerning themselves about karma and rebirth.

Not false logic at all, without a creator god there is no soul, no rebirth, no karma and now samsara. Buddhism only makes sense if you belief in rebirth and believing in rebirth is a belief not a fact.

you need a little more study, buddhism rejects the idea of a soul and makes sense to many practitioners without any consideration of rebirth

as many teachers have pointed out, a person can concentrate on understanding dukkha, anicca and anatta , walking the eightfold path, practising meditation without concerning themselves about karma and rebirth.

teachers have different oppinions, but without karma and rebirth non of those practices have any logic, since what Siddhartha taught that you must to follow the eight noble truths in order to escape from the wheel of samsara, so without the belief in samsara it simple doesn't make much sense because what the buddha taught was a way to scape suffering. wink.png

you need a little more study, buddhism rejects the idea of a soul and makes sense to many practitioners without any consideration of rebirth

Buddhism doesn't rejects the idea of a soul, without a soul there is not rebirth, simple as that. ;)

Buddhism doesn't rejects the idea of a soul, without a soul there is not rebirth, simple as that. wink.png

if you bothered to read any tract on therevadan buddhism you would understand that you are 100% wrong. they totally reject the concept of a permanent soul. reincarnation requires a soul, rebirth does not. simple as that!

I have been reading a lot about Buddhism, and it seems to me that the teachings of the Buddha were more a philosophy than a religion, he gave a way to eliminate suffering but I have never found anything regarding to the worshiping of a god or even miracles among his teaching, I personally don't see any use in going to temple and preying and worshiping status that can't help you, I as the Buddha, think that we are the only ones that can find a solution for the different problems that we face in our life, but I would like to know what my fellow members of Thaivisa think. Do you go to temples to worship and praying? do you believe in the Phees stories etc? if so please could you give us your reasons?

PS: I am not judging anyone, just want to try to understand.

Let me get back to your first post to prove that you spinning.

Your post already show that you understand Buddhism, but misunderstood on Gods or other religions. There is no such things as praying to any God for miracles. Not a single evidence of it. That's why I used the logic-defying claims of Christianity several times to explain.

The Buddha mentioned there is no need for his statue to be put up. In the beginning, people put up a wheel to symbolize Buddhism. It's only later, people put up a human image for him. Prayers to him are a sign of respect and reminder for his teachings. Not ignorance prayers like some did facing a cross hoping for miracles.

Buddhism doesn't rejects the idea of a soul, without a soul there is not rebirth, simple as that. wink.png

if you bothered to read any tract on therevadan buddhism you would understand that you are 100% wrong. they totally reject the concept of a permanent soul. reincarnation requires a soul, rebirth does not. simple as that!

Believe me, I have talked to profesors of Buddhism in Ramkhamhaeng Uni. they do believe in the existence of the soul ;) besides that if you have no soul then explain to me what is what is going to rebirth? Energy like Mr. Only1 belief? C'mom, I believe that you are smarter than that. ;)

if you bothered to read any tract on therevadan buddhism you would understand that you are 100% wrong. they totally reject the concept of a permanent soul. reincarnation requires a soul, rebirth does not. simple as that

What others call soul is either something they have been misled by antiBuddhism people to believe In order to debunk Buddhism belief; or the life energy that did the rebirth.

Usually, I use Einstein's energy transformation theory to explain them. If they keep insisting on soul as like Christianity believed, I will ask them to prove to me any actually went to heaven before continuing.

I have been reading a lot about Buddhism, and it seems to me that the teachings of the Buddha were more a philosophy than a religion, he gave a way to eliminate suffering but I have never found anything regarding to the worshiping of a god or even miracles among his teaching, I personally don't see any use in going to temple and preying and worshiping status that can't help you, I as the Buddha, think that we are the only ones that can find a solution for the different problems that we face in our life, but I would like to know what my fellow members of Thaivisa think. Do you go to temples to worship and praying? do you believe in the Phees stories etc? if so please could you give us your reasons?

PS: I am not judging anyone, just want to try to understand.

Let me get back to your first post to prove that you spinning.

Your post already show that you understand Buddhism, but misunderstood on Gods or other religions. There is no such things as praying to any God for miracles. Not a single evidence of it. That's why I used the logic-defying claims of Christianity several times to explain.

The Buddha mentioned there is no need for his statue to be put up. In the beginning, people put up a wheel to symbolize Buddhism. It's only later, people put up a human image for him. Prayers to him are a sign of respect and reminder for his teachings. Not ignorance prayers like some did facing a cross hoping for miracles.

I don't see why you think that I misunderstood on gods and other religions, besides that I agree 100% with what you just wrote.

if you bothered to read any tract on therevadan buddhism you would understand that you are 100% wrong. they totally reject the concept of a permanent soul. reincarnation requires a soul, rebirth does not. simple as that

What others call soul is either something they have been misled by antiBuddhism people to believe In order to debunk Buddhism belief; or the life energy that did the rebirth.

Usually, I use Einstein's energy transformation theory to explain them. If they keep insisting on soul as like Christianity believed, I will ask them to prove to me any actually went to heaven before continuing.

What I am trying to said is that without a soul, rebirth doesn't mean anything, bcuz if what is rebirth has no memories of it previous life then is a completely different entity who's personality is to be molded by his experiences in life. What Siddhartha feared was to be rebirth continuously and therefore continue suffering, but if you are not rebirth then you will not suffer.

Believe me, I have talked to profesors of Buddhism in Ramkhamhaeng Uni. they do believe in the existence of the soul ;) besides that if you have no soul then explain to me what is what is going to rebirth? Energy like Mr. Only1 belief? C'mom, I believe that you are smarter than that. ;)

Next time no need to ask others, just ask us here openly and transparently will. Or else, people will just think you lied.

Rebirth and Einstein's energy theory is similar. Energy cannot be destroyed or created but it can transferred from one form to another. That's why people claimed Buddhism and science are coherent.

The soul theory that other religions claimed that go heaven as long as you believed in a particular God is a fraud. It's not coherent with science. In case you don't full grasp my explanation, bring in the theory of karma in a scientific way and you will see the whole picture.

Usually, I do not want to explain them if Christians are around because that will mean their placebo effects will be gone and that means hell to them, unless they are smart enough to convert.

What I am trying to said is that without a soul, rebirth doesn't mean anything, bcuz if what is rebirth has no memories of it previous life then is a completely different entity who's personality is to be molded by his experiences in life. What Siddhartha feared was to be rebirth continuously and therefore continue suffering, but if you are not rebirth then you will not suffer.

You are so full of self conflicting comments. Who tell you soul is responsible for rebirth ? Next, another person will call them spirits. These names, whether one calls them soul, spirit, or energy is not important.

You are so full of self conflicting comments. Who tell you soul is responsible for rebirth ? Next, another person will call them spirits. These names, whether one calls them soul, spirit, or energy is not important.

First I never said that souls are responsible for rebirth ;) second those names are very important, bcuz a soul or a spirit both are supposed to be -in the west and in the east- conscious entities energy ain't not ;)

Archived