Is Buddhism a religion?

Om85

Wrong !!

That is only if you want to be a permanent monk.

There is no permanence in this world, according to Buddhist teachings. Didn't you know that! wink.png

As I understand, becoming a monk with the goal of reaching a state of Nirvana, is the most noble and worthy activity one could pursue, within the Buddhist context.

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've not been discussing Buddhism for quite some time, so months late on noticing this thread, but I'll add an observation others may have already made (no way I'm reading all 18 pages of posts).

The initial question and first few pages of discussion generally assume Buddhism is just one thing, that the Buddha taught one central message based on one context. Even if he did, which seems unlikely based on the core texts, modern people take it in a range of ways, so Buddhism is no longer just one thing (and again, it may not have been during his own life).

That seems wrong, right? Surely it either is or isn't set up to explain an afterlife, or lack of it, or it really is about a particular type of perspective and self-development process (not the best way to put that, but I am working within English here). So it seems it should be a conventional religion, or instead a form of philosophy, or something else, even if people really take it in a range of ways now.

I suppose I'd have my own take but I'm not sure what that's worth, or if it really matters what it's based on, a tiny bit of random exposure or a lot of diverse exposure, university study, or years of training under a master, or some mix. Awhile back I'd have thought it made a difference if I was closer to right; awhile before that I'd have had a more limited, specific take.

Now I'm not so sure that an inward-oriented approach based on one of 10 different schools of Buddhism is all that different than a well-intentioned study of astrology. The teachings are probably a lot more useful and valid but applied wrong it may be better to take a more random approach and do what you can with that. All the same I still write a little about Buddhism, when I feel like it, so I'll post the latest about that separately.

Related to my own background, which really isn't relevant, it included reading diversely, university study of philosophy and religion, meditation practice, and ordaining as a Thai monk. But really who cares about a Buddhism resume. Arguments from authority related to Buddhism are ridiculous, with the obvious exception of giving reported direct teachings of the Buddha himself more attention, and weighing out whatever else comes up for what it's worth based on content and comparison to personal experience.

Buddhism, whether you call it a religion, philosophy or simply a way of life, needs some honesty and common sense for anyone to accept. It's not the type of religion where one think he will achieve blessings or heaven afterlife simply by believing or blindfaith without any logic.

This simple reason made some other religions feeling that Buddhism is a threat to them.

One can call Buddhism a religion, a philosophy, a way of life, or even science. It fits in all 4 as none of the 4 could find any fault or anything incompatible with Buddhism but for those who call it a religion, make sure they understand what is Buddhism's difference with other religions. If not, they will end up praying to the Buddha for miracles, and before the end of their life, they will suffer like those followers of other religions.

i dont pray for miracles but suffer all the same
Yes, expected. I know that will happen to you. Even the Dalai Lama said scientists said that bad emotions like anger, hatred etc is bad to the body; and I believe that too. Go think about it.

In case you dont catch it, it's due to attitude. Be less aversive to Buddhism or others, your sufferings will cease when you accept the 4 Noble Truth and practise Noble 8 Fold Path.

I hope you are not suggesting that you or anyone youve ever met no longer experiences dukkha
Why do you think so ? It could not even be possible.

Your question is not sensible.

Archived