Buying a tractor - 2015

LukKrueng

Hi all,

most posts about tractors I saw here are from at least a year ago and all about mid-big tractors...

I came to a conclusion I'll be better off buying a small machine and seek some advice.

I have about 10 rai of a farm. about 3.5 is a flat field (ti na) and the rest is 3 levels of moderate slope (3 levels) - suan. So far I hired a local guy to do some jobs for me, and the price was reasonable. The problem is that he's not always available when I want him, sometimes he is working with the wrong implement and won't change it for just 1 job, and besides, if I had my own tractor I'd find some more uses for it for small jobs that he'd probably wont come for.

As most tractor I see in my area are Kubotas, and I know from the dealer and some owners that their service in the area is good (Chiang Mai province), i naturally opt for a Kubota. As it is a small piece of land, and most of the "suan" is going to be tree plantation, I am thinking about the 2140 (goes for 230,000 THB) or 2440 (312,000). A friend in Australia claims this size will be more than enough. however, an owner of a 2440 told me today his is not powerful enough, gets bogged in the muddy rice paddy.

The implements I am thinking about are a rotary, fertilizer spreader (to use for cow manure) and grass cutter (lawn mower?). I can't see any frequent use for a front dozer which seems to be attached to each and every tractor I saw in Thailand.

The idea is to grow rice in the rainy season at the ti-na, and other field crops off season. in the "suan" part to grow small patches of different vegetables in te space between the trees as long as practically possible.

Would love to get some comments / ideas / thoughts.

Thanks.

Hi LUK

Sounds like a nice spread up there in Chiang Mai ,Im from the other side of town Khon Kean way,you are right kubotas are everywhere and in my view a great tractor, i have 1-2240, 2-4740 and 1-M7040 in your situation you don't have a great deal of land to till or rotary hoe, I generaly let the locals destroy there tractors first I pay them 500 Baht per ria plow & rotary all up, I crop 340 rai cow and 60 ria to mess around with, I brought the 2240 for the missus she loves it,fart arse'en around. But I agree with people it's a bit small for hobby farm. And don't for <deleted>> sake by a second one.Please.

In your situation have good look at the L3208 wide series not to big and not to small, it will take all the attachments,try to avoid real wet paddy fields,Thay just don't like water ,pay someone else, but if you have to, put duel wheels all round,i did on my 2240 it looks cool and mate it will go any were,Mr Kubota will say you cant do that, bullshit I did.

Have fun with your new toy.

OZZY HARRY

Im not sure how much the 3208 are, but when I brought my M7040 I put down 50% cash and financed the balance 12 months interest free and pay what ever amount I feel like paying as long as it's payed off in 12 month period .

Hi LUK

Sounds like a nice spread up there in Chiang Mai ,Im from the other side of town Khon Kean way,you are right kubotas are everywhere and in my view a great tractor, i have 1-2240, 2-4740 and 1-M7040 in your situation you don't have a great deal of land to till or rotary hoe, I generaly let the locals destroy there tractors first I pay them 500 Baht per ria plow & rotary all up, I crop 340 rai cow and 60 ria to mess around with, I brought the 2240 for the missus she loves it,fart arse'en around. But I agree with people it's a bit small for hobby farm. And don't for <deleted>> sake by a second one.Please.

In your situation have good look at the L3208 wide series not to big and not to small, it will take all the attachments,try to avoid real wet paddy fields,Thay just don't like water ,pay someone else, but if you have to, put duel wheels all round,i did on my 2240 it looks cool and mate it will go any were,Mr Kubota will say you cant do that, bullshit I did.

OZZY HARRY

Im not sure how much the 3208 are, but when I brought my M7040 I put down 50% cash and financed the balance 12 months interest free and pay what ever amount I feel like paying as long as it's payed off in 12 month period .

Any chance of a picture of the duels all round.

Are you talking steel wheels front and back or regular rims and tires?

@LUK,cant remember price off hand but know they were more expensive than i antisipated at the time.(4-5000 baht?)

Whatever you end up with,make sure its four wheel drive if its a small tractor.

Hi LUK

OZZY HARRY

the 24 horse power with grass cutter and rotary is 384,000 THB

the 32 horse power with same implements is 555,000 THB.

The interest is 5 - 5.5% per year depending on the down payment

getting too expensive to justify for the small farm.

Considering the fact that wet rice paddy will be done once a year only, and rest of the year on dry land, I am opt to go for FarmJo's solution.

Hi LUK

OZZY HARRY

the 24 horse power with grass cutter and rotary is 384,000 THB

the 32 horse power with same implements is 555,000 THB.

The interest is 5 - 5.5% per year depending on the down payment

getting too expensive to justify for the small farm.

Considering the fact that wet rice paddy will be done once a year only, and rest of the year on dry land, I am opt to go for FarmJo's solution.

PM member BSJ,he has a 24hp,he maybe can give better insight before buying.

I'm not into growing much rice but what i've read is you flood paddy so you have standing water for 2 weeks then rototill.

I think the getting bogged comes from ploughing first to deep then flooding then rototilling,also depends how old the field is,a new field will take time to settle and leave areas prone to getting bogged.

I do know rototillers make your tractor work extremely hard on hard dirt and thats why contractors like to plough first.

Even look secondhand,an old one like mine above you could get for under 200,000.

Just a quick update to those interested...

I found a used equipment dealer through the local mechanic. Bought a used (can't say 2nd hand as I think I might be something like 4th...) Kubota 3408 with a rotary and grass cutter for 145,000 THB. Took it to the local mechanic to change the oil and fix some small things - had to go into the city to get the oil and spare parts myself, paid about 6800 THB for those. Hopefully the tractor will be ready tomorrow - the rotary might take few more days as there is an oil leak and i asked the mechanic to open it up and check everything before I start working with it.

Archived