British-Thai actress 'Anna Reese' settles with family of dead policeman

webfact

I found the crash scene video immensely disturbing, great care was taken and long time was spent slowly displaying the driver's identification to the camera, and other signs of busyness and protocol were on full display, yet the most important test was missing. If Anna was not on drink or drugs, then this is simply a terrible unfortunate accident, but if she was drunk or high then this is a very serious crime. The difference between those two scenarios is huge, and can be determined by on-site drink/drug testing. Why this was not done, while great care was taken for all the other tiny details like filming close-ups of the driver IDs etc. is a mystery.

This gigantic error of not testing the surviving driver at an unusual and lethal crash scene, is shocking. Her opinions or social status are unimportant, she should be subject to standard mandatory testing process. Her actions after the crash are irrelevant, the only issue is the categorization of causing death by driving under the influence, or common tragic unfortunate accident, and we will never know which of those two opposites applies to this crash. In the case of DUI, she is a criminal, in the case of an unfortunate accident, she is a victim as much as the poor gentleman who died. It shocks me that basic tests were not taken to determine which of those two categories she belonged in.

You seem to be saying that it all hinges on whether she was DUI or not: prove that she was and she was stupidly reckless and is culpable, prove that she wasn't and she is an unfortunate victim.

Quite possible for her to have not been DUI but still acted in a stupidly reckless fashion that makes her anything but an unfortunate victim.

Shocks me too though that such a basic test wasn't taken. When i've been tested at police road checks the whole process takes a matter of seconds. When she said that she was too traumatized to go to the police station for a blood test, why not simply test her breath there and then? If they didn't have a breathalyzer with them (surely being called out to the scene of an accident this would be something they would have, you'd think wouldn't you?!), then how long would it have taken to have one brought over to the scene of the crash? Bangkok you are usually never further then ten minutes or so away from a police station.

Makes the mind boggle. Sure she is a bit of a celebrity and has more money than a lot of Thais, but we aren't talking about someone with real connections, power and influence, and nor are we talking about a Forbes top 100 high flyer. Just a small time TV star. She killed a policeman too.

Goodness knows what sort of cover ups are employed when someone further up the food chain has a "mishap".

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

photo speaks for itself

The photo is probably 1/50th sec, facial expressions could have been completely reversed in the next 1/50th - the very reason why fashion photographers shoot 100's of pictures during any one session looking for "that" photo' - probably very similar technique used for this news article.

So - what does the photo say?

What Artisi means is the next photo frame could tell a completely different story depending on the timing. Perhaps even the opposite with the victim's wife smilng and the perp looking sad. Perhaps unlikely but we don't know. The Press know how to select their pics for optimum effect. If their intention was to whip up a sensationalist storm then they certainly did bring out the 'hang 'em high ' brigade here.

Forum members should be wary of being manipulated too because nothing sells mags and newspapers and dare I day brings traffic to forum sites than photos we all can so easily be enraged at.

While I'm also disgusted by the smiles of the driver,, I'm also more disgusted at the fact it seems that,, ONLY, Thai lives matter,,,, Think back at recent TV news regarding this type of situation,,, 17 yr old, THAI girl, NO driver's license, texting,,, etc... causing an accident killing 9,, NINE tourist's,,, as far as Ive seen reported,,, NO $$$ compinsasion from her family to ANY of the NINE deceased TOURIST'S,,, NONE..(at least none was EVER reported).. No... 2 yrs probation, 6 months community service, No driving till 21 yrs old,, (all of which they seemed to feel was too "harsh", as they appealed it all), Thai bus driver, OVERTAKING a foreigner on a bicycle, on a DOWNHILL CURVE,,, ran him the HELL over,,, NOTHING in compinasion... NOTHING!!!!,,,, American CEO of Catipillar,, hacked to death with a Samuri sword by a, THAI taxi driver, over an argument of $14 baht,, If I remember correctly ,, $300 baht fine, and back in his cab the following week,,, (SHOCKING he didn't ask for $$ from the guys family to compinsate his losses of a week of no work)... And goes on and on, and on, if you're bored, and wanna do the searches on TVF,... I've NEVER seen a case, where a Thai person, was directly the cause of a Foreigner's death. where they were asked/forced, to offer, ANY type of $$$ compinsation to their victims families,,, NONE that I can recall anyway,,,, There are some I'm sure,,, but I'd bet they were ALSO to the, $$$ benefit of the RTP officer in charge of., "investigating" the incident... In the USA right now,, there's the big, "Black lives matter" thing going on,,,,, It'd be VERY easy to do the same here as in,,, "ONLY Thai lives matter!" and would be about 97% accurate,,, if not more,,,,

What exactly do you mean by "as far as I've seen reported"? Do you ever open a newspaper? I'm not going to indulge your laziness other than to say that your facts in the first two incidents, as well as what has happened in the aftermath are way off. Do some research before spouting nonsense.

Edited by Lorn

photo speaks for itself

The photo is probably 1/50th sec, facial expressions could have been completely reversed in the next 1/50th - the very reason why fashion photographers shoot 100's of pictures during any one session looking for "that" photo' - probably very similar technique used for this news article.

If you want to get statistical about it, the fact that she is smiling in the photo STATISTICALLY means she was more likely than not to be smiling at that or any other moment at that time/in that location.

So you can certainly cast doubt on it being more than a micro expression but by merely referring to the odds you're betting against them. So I call your attempt a fail.

So, Lorn, what are the facts? Was compensation paid to the tourists on the bus?

Rich people paying off the poor to cover up their crimes is nothing new anywhere in the world. The scale of payment needed here is more manageable is all.

Like most cases of justice or injustice in Thailand this is crass and disgusting

Its true lots of foreigners die here every year; this year 364 Brits alone have died. Nobody cares.

What Artisi means is the next photo frame could tell a completely different story depending on the timing. Perhaps even the opposite with the victim's wife smilng and the perp looking sad. Perhaps unlikely but we don't know. The Press know how to select their pics for optimum effect. If their intention was to whip up a sensationalist storm then they certainly did bring out the 'hang 'em high ' brigade here.

Forum members should be wary of being manipulated too because nothing sells mags and newspapers and dare I day brings traffic to forum sites than photos we all can so easily be enraged at.

If the smile / sad expression had been reversed, all the "hang 'em high's" would be off somewhere else venting their frustrations, and all the "oh! I'm so happy for such a great outcome" would be here.

For me it's a non-even other than she crashed her car into the policeman's car and he was killed, a very sad fact of life, the police didn't as usual follow-up with what would be standard testing protocol in any modern country, another sad fact of life. If she is at fault she should pay the price as should anyone else - which unfortunately doesn't happen in too many cases.

The whole thing is a beat-up by the press because she is "known" and half Thai and it sells papers, no more no less.

During the same time slot there were probably many others killed on the roads from drunk drivers, drugs and guns - did it make headlines -- NOPE, of no interest to the news media. So why is everyone so up-tight and righteous about this particular case.

So why is everyone so up-tight and righteous about this particular case.

Because this particular case is getting exposure. If other similar cases were getting the same exposure, they would be getting the same sort of reaction.

People can't react to news events that aren't being reported. Doesn't mean they wouldn't be outraged if they were.

You seem to be saying that it all hinges on whether she was DUI or not: prove that she was and she was stupidly reckless and is culpable, prove that she wasn't and she is an unfortunate victim.

Quite possible for her to have not been DUI but still acted in a stupidly reckless fashion that makes her anything but an unfortunate victim.

Shocks me too though that such a basic test wasn't taken. When i've been tested at police road checks the whole process takes a matter of seconds. When she said that she was too traumatized to go to the police station for a blood test, why not simply test her breath there and then? If they didn't have a breathalyzer with them (surely being called out to the scene of an accident this would be something they would have, you'd think wouldn't you?!), then how long would it have taken to have one brought over to the scene of the crash? Bangkok you are usually never further then ten minutes or so away from a police station.

Makes the mind boggle. Sure she is a bit of a celebrity and has more money than a lot of Thais, but we aren't talking about someone with real connections, power and influence, and nor are we talking about a Forbes top 100 high flyer. Just a small time TV star. She killed a policeman too.

Goodness knows what sort of cover ups are employed when someone further up the food chain has a "mishap".

I understand and agree with your point that a person can be driving recklessly while sober.

My point was a legal one. Without cameras following her driving upto the crash, no multiple witness statements (one sketchy witness is not really enough) it would be very difficult to prove she was driving recklessly while sober. Proving she was DUI / high on drugs is far easier, and in legal terms it is a slam-dunk. Whatever some people might say on the internet about how they can drive drunk and high without problems, the actual science points to alcohol and drugs seriously affecting response-times and spatial judgment, and triggering existing malfunctioning cerebral issues which the person may not even be aware they have. Obviously being high on drugs while driving is illegal because drugs are illegal, before you even get into the intoxication dangers for a driver.

So my point was really about her legal status, with a positive DUI/drugs test, she is a reckless criminal who got behind the wheel while intoxicated, causing the death of a much-loved family breadwinner. And with a negative DUI/drugs test, without any adequate cameras / reliable multiple witnesses to describe her driving recklessly, she is legally an innocent victim of a tragic accident.

My point was just that the two possible options are so far apart, and yet so easily resolved with crash-scene driver-testing, it is just astonishing that this was not checked. And they took such great care to hold the drivers' ID up to the camera, and tinker around with loads of things for a long time, while not doing the only genuinely important investigative work they're supposed to do.

I understand and agree with your point that a person can be driving recklessly while sober.

My point was a legal one. Without cameras following her driving upto the crash, no multiple witness statements (one sketchy witness is not really enough) it would be very difficult to prove she was driving recklessly while sober. Proving she was DUI / high on drugs is far easier, and in legal terms it is a slam-dunk. Whatever some people might say on the internet about how they can drive drunk and high without problems, the actual science points to alcohol and drugs seriously affecting response-times and spatial judgment, and triggering existing malfunctioning cerebral issues which the person may not even be aware they have. Obviously being high on drugs while driving is illegal because drugs are illegal, before you even get into the intoxication dangers for a driver.

So my point was really about her legal status, with a positive DUI/drugs test, she is a reckless criminal who got behind the wheel while intoxicated, causing the death of a much-loved family breadwinner. And with a negative DUI/drugs test, without any adequate cameras / reliable multiple witnesses to describe her driving recklessly, she is legally an innocent victim of a tragic accident.

My point was just that the two possible options are so far apart, and yet so easily resolved with crash-scene driver-testing, it is just astonishing that this was not checked. And they took such great care to hold the drivers' ID up to the camera, and tinker around with loads of things for a long time, while not doing the only genuinely important investigative work they're supposed to do.

Totally agree on the matter of alcohol testing. Madness that it wasn't undertaken. Read something about an internal police investigation into why it wasn't carried out, which will no doubt come to absolutely nothing.

On the point of it being difficult to prove recklessness without the DUI charge, i understand what you are saying although one thing that should be fairly easy to prove, considering that one of the cars was stationary, would be the speed of impact. My guess is , looking at the state of the Merc, way over the speed limit. If that pretty simple fact was proven, that would surely be a slam dunk in terms of dismissing the notion of her being "an innocent victim of a tragic accident".

So, Lorn, what are the facts? Was compensation paid to the tourists on the bus?

Rich people paying off the poor to cover up their crimes is nothing new anywhere in the world. The scale of payment needed here is more manageable is all.

Like most cases of justice or injustice in Thailand this is crass and disgusting

Its true lots of foreigners die here every year; this year 364 Brits alone have died. Nobody cares.

It was nine Thai university students which is why it has no relevance to you speaking about foreigners getting no justice. And there is a civil case pending for damages after the criminal case finished in May.

In the second case yes the man that killed the cyclist (who was stationary on the side of the road) offered compensation.

How old were these Brits who died this year? Brits die in Britain too. Does no one care about them? Why do you keep mentioning foreigners? Yes the lack of justice is terrible but you make it sound like it's somehow more unacceptable when it happens to non-Thais.

photo speaks for itself

The photo says what her mind is thinking, she could not give a TOSS.....

She has paid money, done her bit at the Temple and life is back to normal..... NEXT....

If the smile / sad expression had been reversed, all the "hang 'em high's" would be off somewhere else venting their frustrations, and all the "oh! I'm so happy for such a great outcome" would be here.

For me it's a non-even other than she crashed her car into the policeman's car and he was killed, a very sad fact of life, the police didn't as usual follow-up with what would be standard testing protocol in any modern country, another sad fact of life. If she is at fault she should pay the price as should anyone else - which unfortunately doesn't happen in too many cases.

The whole thing is a beat-up by the press because she is "known" and half Thai and it sells papers, no more no less.

During the same time slot there were probably many others killed on the roads from drunk drivers, drugs and guns - did it make headlines -- NOPE, of no interest to the news media. So why is everyone so up-tight and righteous about this particular case.

The media frenzy was caused by the whole thing being 'dramatized' into into a soap opera from the very moment it happened. If you ask me, the first clip from the scene dictated how this whole thing was going to go, with a nomination for the lead role. The paparazzi didn't need to chase her down or beat her up, she made herself available at every opportunity to give them a feast. All they had to do was show up, she took care of making it 'news' with her actions. Where to start................??!?

photo speaks for itself

She has paid money, done her bit at the Temple and life is back to normal..... NEXT....

Insensitive post, I think she'll never forget that tragic night. A horrific car crash resulting in the death of someone will remain in her nightmares forever.

She shouldn't have paid. The policeman was sleeping in his car on a busy road without his hazard lights on. It was an accidental death. Anna was mad to feel guilty by the press.

Oh, it's now blame the victim is it? What is it with people like you? Life is worth nothing, is that right?

Of course she should have paid, and a whole lot more, if it ever gets to court. The Police officer committed no offence or are you suggesting sleeping in a car on the sde of the roadway is an offence. There is no requirement for hazard lights to be operating either.

For whatever reason, she was unable to control her vehicle, this alone is a negligence act and seeing that someone has died as a result of the impact, then that death was caused by her act of negligence. Which by the way is what she was charged with, together with leaving the scene of a crash. Accidental my foot and, as for the press making her feel guilty. another load of rot. She has not one ounce of compassion in her body, the last picture clearly highlights this, as does her actions throughout the entire incident.

Edited by Si Thea01

photo speaks for itself

Insensitive post, I think she'll never forget that tragic night. A horrific car crash resulting in the death of someone will remain in her nightmares forever.

Insensitive to who, the offender or you? Do you really think she would take time to read anything on TVF. She really needs to never forget that through her negligence she took the life of another human but given her actions throughout the whole incident I doubt that this will ever happen. Just a great pretender, doesn't have a ounce of compassion in her body.

What is your relationship, it must be close given you are so strident in your defense of her, given this post and the following one where you want to blame to the victim. You call this a horrific car crash yet in your next post, it is accidental.

You can't have it both ways, an accident suggests that no one is at fault, yet you blame the victim, whilst in this post you refer to it as a crash, which is what it is because she has been deemed to be at fault, with police charging her with leaving the scene of a crash and also causing death through a negligent act. Or have you forgotten that.

Also, for someone to speak the truth and present facts is hardly insensitive. Can you give me one example of her showing sensitivity to the victim's family. A big gawking smile I would say is more insensitive than anything written on here.

photo speaks for itself

Judging by the photo I think it's fading fast in her memory....