Xbox 360 Question, Or Two.

Richb2004v2

I am considering getting the Xbox 360. I already have the original xbox and am wondering which, if any, of the old games will play on the 360? Also, is it worth buying the 360? What are the good games? I really only see Oblivion as the stand out game. Dead Rising looks great, but didn't get fantastic reviews. Also, what should I pay? I saw a shop doing them for 12,000 baht chipped and ready to go, which seems very good.

One more thing. What can I do with my old xbox if I get the new one? Back home I would put it on ebay, but no facility here.

2 great games were released just recently for the 360:

Saints Row plays better than any GTA game I've ever played

Dead Rising is fantastic - the reviews I've read were all great. It's simply great fun

Plus this winter the new Splinter Cell, Rainbow 6 and the biggie... Gears Of War

You might want to check if the chipped 360's are Japanese or US because I do not think the region coding has been cracked yet, so you might be stuck with the japanese games

My 360 is not chipped as I like Xbox Live

I am considering getting the Xbox 360. I already have the original xbox and am wondering which, if any, of the old games will play on the 360? Also, is it worth buying the 360? What are the good games? I really only see Oblivion as the stand out game. Dead Rising looks great, but didn't get fantastic reviews. Also, what should I pay? I saw a shop doing them for 12,000 baht chipped and ready to go, which seems very good.

One more thing. What can I do with my old xbox if I get the new one? Back home I would put it on ebay, but no facility here.

To answer your first question, go here: Original Xbox Games Playable on Xbox 360. You must understand though that you have to download that program and install the necessary files onto your Xbox 360 hdd (meaning you need to buy the more expensive model). I personally thought it was worth getting the 360, for the multimedia functions and the better intergration into my LAN. I chipped my old Xbox and installed Linux, so that was no great loss. I'm currently playing GRAW (Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter) and Battlefield 2. I've also got Ridge Racer, but that was because it was the only game that caught my fancy last November when I first bought the system. As previously mentioned, the chips are one way of possibly being blocked by Xbox Live!(but doubtful since they sit in between the system and drive and only activate if the game is not an original), so I don't really consider it an option. AFAIK, they only allow you to play "backups" of the games, nothing as elaborate as they have been able to do to the original Xbox. Also, 12 000 bhat for a 360 is suspicously cheap. In the US, even a Core system is that price, and I've never seen proper electronic game gear in Thailand be cheaper than the West. Beware of what you buy.

Like I previously indicated, Linux on your old system is quite a project. Xbox-Linux is a really good page. Alternatively, you could try and use it as a trade in on your new purchase (whishful thinking?) or try and pawn it.

2 great games were released just recently for the 360:

Saints Row plays better than any GTA game I've ever played

Dead Rising is fantastic - the reviews I've read were all great. It's simply great fun

Plus this winter the new Splinter Cell, Rainbow 6 and the biggie... Gears Of War

You might want to check if the chipped 360's are Japanese or US because I do not think the region coding has been cracked yet, so you might be stuck with the japanese games

My 360 is not chipped as I like Xbox Live

Hi do you know how to get a 360 chipped? I understand its some kind of firmware upgrade?? I have a US 360 box and its difficult to get games here in Thailand, I use Xbox live but not much. What are the drawbacks and is it reversable?

Thanks in advance.

Got Xbox chipped and it works just fine with Xbox Live. Got Battel Field 2 and its challenging on line.

Any one else playing BF 2 online ? IM me.

Can you chip it at home? I dont live in BKK. How?

Yes, i got the X-Bit 1.5 installed in my xbox. There are 9 solder points if you desire to solder (or in my case, de-thread the screw hole).

It can be a no-solder chip if you dont make the same mistake.

And for the sake of the thread, can we drop the talk about playing copies. I use my xbox exclusivly installed with XMBC as a stand in home entertainment centre.

I have a Japanese Xbxo360 and it plays all games just fine, I think there may be a few regional encoded games - but I have yet to have a problem.

Also all the Japanese games have English Text, Weird thing is I have had the Japanese 360 for 6+ months and have never seen one piece of Japanese text.