• Topics

• Latest posts...

1. 87

Why is Russia such a cesspool?

2. 95

Form 7162 Anybody Received Theirs Yet for 2024?

3. 0

Has my sex tourist friend found a loop hole?

4. 2,667

ICE vs EV, the debate thread

5. 68

Thai Hostages Still Missing a Year After Hamas Attack

6. 563

White Culture

7. 0

Florida Law Enforcement trying to protect the innocent,ain’t easy!

8. 87

Why is Russia such a cesspool?

9. 34

Tm47 online submission "rejected"

10. 19

Will White Women Shift Away from Republicans to Support Kamala Harris in 2024?

11. 17

Maximum Baht I can take out of Tland as cash

12. 17

Maximum Baht I can take out of Tland as cash

13. 125

Trump chickens out again.

14. 68

15. 68

Thai tourism: Major players want ministry to be devoted

webfact

TOURISM
Major players want ministry to be devoted

SUCHAT SRITAMA
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Big players involved in tourism agree there must be a separation of the Tourism and Sports Ministry's two portfolios to strengthen the travel business and increase the country's competitiveness amid the current political and economic instability.

Major tourism players wa"I agree with the separation of tourism and sport. The tourism job should not be included with sport. The ministry should be overseeing only tourism," said Suthikiati Chirathivat, chairman of the board of Centara Hotels and Resorts, one of the country's largest hotel chains.

He said the tourism sector needed a good long-term plan and good infrastructure with focus on "quality" tourists.

Asked to comment on the government's new economic team, he only said it was not too bad.

"I believe that if the new team continues and follows existing plans, things should get better," he said.

Bombing a setback

He said that if the bombing at the Erawan Shrine had not happened, the country could have easily surpassed this year's projected 28 million arrivals and generated Bt2.2 trillion in tourism revenue.

Yutthachai Soonthronrattanavate, president of the Association of Domestic Travel (ADT), said it was time to prop up the Tourism and Sports Ministry as the key agency to drive the economy in the current situation. Tourism is the only optimistic sector that could help drive the entire economy forward this year.

The association called on the junta to play a greater role in promoting tourism by drafting a long-term development plan. He cited the example of Singapore, which kicked off big plans for tourism in 2010.

YuthachaiYutthachai added that the ADT had proposed that the government increase competency at the three major tourism bodies - the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT), the Department of Tourism, and the Tourist Police.

"Each of these bodies needs to improve its efficiency in order to raise the country's competitiveness and strength," he said.

According to the ADT, the TAT should focus on marketing while the Tourism Department should contribute tourism knowledge, while the police should provide tourists safety and confidence.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Major-players-want-ministry-to-be-devoted-30267410.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-08-26

I agree with the strategy as the two areas are quite different. But unless those in charge of each area are competent, we will still get the same laughable results. And I don't mean just the ministers here. They should start by clearing out the public service deadwood at the top of each organization and promoting or getting in people who know what they are doing. And also hold them to KPI's based on real achievement, not false statistics and inane press statements.

I agree with the strategy as the two areas are quite different. But unless those in charge of each area are competent, we will still get the same laughable results. And I don't mean just the ministers here. They should start by clearing out the public service deadwood at the top of each organization and promoting or getting in people who know what they are doing. And also hold them to KPI's based on real achievement, not false statistics and inane press statements.

you mean kick out all the Thai's

"He said that if the bombing at the Erawan Shrine had not happened, the country could have easily surpassed this year's projected 28 million arrivals and generated Bt2.2 trillion in tourism revenue."

Didn't he hear that tourism shrunk in the first half of 2015?