number in thai

wilkis333

1) 3.5% = sum zuuk haa %

2) 2008 = ๒๐๐๘

Can you explain how you get 'z' in a Thai word.

I've never seen a year AD expressed in Thai numerals. On the other hand, expressing a year BE in Western Arabic numerals is commonplace. I'm sticking to 2008 = ๒๕๕๑.

พ.ศ. [por sor] is BE.

Interesting. I don't think I've ever heard [M]phaw [R]saw. I'm just used to hearing it in full - [H]phut[M]tha[L]sak[M]ka[F]raat. It's one of those long words that just trips off the tongue, like [H]rat[M]tha[M]mon[M]trii = 'government minister'.

1) 3.5% = sum zuuk haa %

2) 2008 = ๒๐๐๘

/z/ isn't that far from /tɕ/, so it's not unreasonable in a personal, informal system. (If the writer is, say, a German speaker, then "j" wouldn't make sense.) I'd be more concerned about the vowel in sum, the terminal consonant in zuuk and the inconsistent vowel lengths. But apart from that (and not indicating tone) it's fine.

1) 3.5% = sum zuuk haa %

2) 2008 = ๒๐๐๘

I've never seen a year AD expressed in Thai numerals. On the other hand, expressing a year BE in Western Arabic numerals is commonplace. I'm sticking to 2008 = ๒๕๕๑.

Will this help ? ( . ) = จุด = jut

1) 3.5% = sum zuuk haa %

2) 2008 = ๒๐๐๘

Will this help ? ( . ) = จุด = jut

Just listen smile.png

http://www.thai-language.com/mp3/E131194.mp3

1) 3.5% = sum zuuk haa %

/z/ isn't that far from /tɕ/, so it's not unreasonable in a personal, informal system. (If the writer is, say, a German speaker, then "j" wouldn't make sense.) I'd be more concerned about the vowel in sum, the terminal consonant in zuuk and the inconsistent vowel lengths. But apart from that (and not indicating tone) it's fine.

Perhaps it's some weird Burmese accent, transcribed in English slapdash. We then get loss of vowel length, collapse of final stop distinctions, and the replacement /tɕ/ > unaspirated followed by voicing. Two aspects counter that idea:

• Burmese now has a new /tɕ/, sometimes transliterated <ky>.
  • Original Burmese /s/ became /θ/, original /tɕ/ then became /s/, and original /ky/ (American notation) became /tɕ/.