Chromecast plus and minus

cheeryble

Hi

I have another thread deciding about which TV to buy.

Basically I can't confirm either of their features so I've just decided to buy the Sony.

The one thing I insist on is screen mirroring as I don't subscribe to anything more than WETV so like to play my own downloads and stuff say like Youtube.

I don't really want an HDMI cable across the floor it's a bit neanderthal.

I personally run APPle iPad and macbook and could get Apple TV, but sometimes I have guests from home and want to let them use my place and they may have android or windows or whatever.

I just learned about Chromecast which I read supports the lot.

Can i verify my understanding please a few simple questions:

1. Chromecast is nothing to do with the Chrome browser it will mirror anything I have in my local video files plus say Youtube direct from the youtube app in iPad?

2. It works well?

3. Anything else it's useful for here in Thailand?

4. Is see advertised something just called Chromecast and something called Chromecast HDMI streaming media (which latter happens to be out of stock).

Is the first one OK for what I need?

Thanks v much!

The Chromecast is a dongle.

You connect it to your Wifi.

1. Chromecast is nothing to do with the Chrome browser it will mirror anything I have in my local video files plus say Youtube direct from the youtube app in iPad?

You can stream from any Chromecast enabled app.

Chrome yes, Youtube yes.

There are lots of apps available to stream media from your disk/network. I use a Chromecast Addon called Videostream.

2. It works well?

Yes, it works fine, although it's limited to 720p, but unless you are playing 1080p media that isn't a a problem.

3. Anything else it's useful for here in Thailand?

Nothing to do with Thailand per se, it works anywhere.

4. Is see advertised something just called Chromecast and something called Chromecast HDMI streaming media (which latter happens to be out of stock).

Is the first one OK for what I need?

I think they're the same thing.

The Chromecast is a dongle.

You connect it to your Wifi.

You can stream from any Chromecast enabled app.

Chrome yes, Youtube yes.

There are lots of apps available to stream media from your disk/network. I use a Chromecast Addon called Videostream.

THANKS LOOKS LIKE IT CAN BE RUN FROM IOS TOO

Yes, it works fine, although it's limited to 720p, but unless you are playing 1080p media that isn't a a problem.

SEEMS TO RUN ON 1080 ACCORDING TO SOME DESCRIPTIONS?....THOUGH THAT MAY NEED A CHROMECAST/ANDROID TV?

1080 WOULD BE NICE

Nothing to do with Thailand per se, it works anywhere.

CHROMECAST V CHROMECAST HDMI

I think they're the same thing.

HMM ONE A BIT MORE EXPENSIVE >>>>>>PRESUME I WOULD JUST GET TEH BASIC ONE

SORRY ALL A BIT BASIC I GIT STOPPPED FOR TOO MANY BLOCKS OF TEXT

I've got a chromecast and I love it, don't need to use with chrome browser but it is the only thing I use chrome for. In about 40mins I'll be casting the moto gp, can't wait, c'mon Vale!.

great to hear it, I already bought the TV and look forward to trying out a chromecast.

One thing I don't quite understand u say u don't need to use with the Chrome browser but it's the only thing u use .chrome for.

Don't quite get it......

I've got a chromecast and I love it, don't need to use with chrome browser but it is the only thing I use chrome for. In about 40mins I'll be casting the moto gp, can't wait, c'mon Vale!.

great to hear it, I already bought the TV and look forward to trying out a chromecast.

One thing I don't quite understand u say u don't need to use with the Chrome browser but it's the only thing u use .chrome for.

Don't quite get it......

Sorry, just mean I have firefox on my laptop which I use most of the time but chromecast is just so easy to use with chrome I use chrome to chromecast.

My phone is android and chromecast works well with that but don't know if it works with apple stuff.

If you like sports there's an app called olwebtv for android which works great with chromecast, once again no idea if it works with apple.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought an EZCast dongle, app is available for windows, apple, android, never tried any apple devices on it but works fine on windows or android, mirrors just fine although i almost never use that option.

http://www.ezcast-wifidisplay.com/

Have you tried using a VPN on your phone to mirror blocked content to it? Apparently this doesn't work with Chromecast.

• 4 months later...

Seriously, that's how it works for Netflix, YouTube etc - your phone just passes the info about what you want to watch to the app on the Chromecast, which then streams the data directly from the servers itself. Basically your phone is just a remote control for the Chromecast.

Still paying electric for 2 devices instead of 1

Much of the time with a Chromecast, your phone isn't doing anything anyway - it just tells the Chromecast what to stream and then lets it take over.

Absolutely correct. Just try this.

Cast your phone or tab - eg youtube

Switch off your device.

The casting goes on without an issue.

(In fact I stopped the casting via the Tab, although I initially started with the phone)

Soibiker is correct.

Chromecast has 2 "modes" of operation:

1. Supported apps

In this case, your controlling device (phone/tablet/PC) is just a remote control, and hands over to the Chromecast to do the streaming from the internet. After you've started playing content this way, you can even kill the app on your device and it will continue playing on the Chromecast.

2. Screen Mirroring

In this case, your controlling device does all the streaming from the internet, and actively beams AV to the Chromecast. Playback can be choppy and low res, and if using a phone, your battery will go down fast.

When possible, you definitely want to use method #1.

Here's a page with supported apps:

https://www.google.com/intl/th_th/chromecast/apps/

Edited by IMHO