Referral Needed

tourist43

A friend here (Bangkok) is in an alarming state. Predictions are impossible, but it appears that in order to prevent a tragedy, intervention will be required. It's not so much a question of suicide, although that is part of the picture -- it's a matter of how much total damage might be done if things continue to deteriorate.

Does anyone know where effective help can be found?

Thanks in advance to all who have suggestions, but especially to those who have experience with a case like this.

You realy need to give a few more details to understand the kind of help your friend may or may not require.

What sort of situation are they in, what do you think your friends state of mind is and what kind of damage are they likely to inflict on themselves, others or both?

Edit... If it's a mental health issue then Thailand has not got a great system set in place unfortunatly.

Is your friend a Thai or foreign?

Edited by Lacoste

Sorry, though I do appreciate your reply, I have to disagree. "Alarming," "tragedy," "suicide" and "total damage" are descriptive enough. Those words are meant literally. The details can wait for the professional who attempts an intervention.

The individual is a foreigner.

Edited by tourist43

Sorry i would love to help you but if you cannot describe a pattern of behaviour, symptoms, possible reasons for these and if they have a past history of mental health problems then i dont realy know what to suggest as i have nothing to base a suggestion on.

I realy do wish you and your friend the best of luck though. I have had to deal with the suicide of one of my closest friends in the past and it is not something that i would like to see anyone have to go through.

I truely hope this all works out and you can help your friend find the help that they need. This is probably going to be in their home country though.

Take care, good luck and all the best.

Regards,

Lacoste

There is an English speaking samaritans service available who may be able to advise you. I'm afraid I don't have their number, but will try to check later for you.

The only other thing I can suggest is I know there are some very good English speaking pschiatrists at Bumrungrad who could definitely help, but I don't know if you could get your friend there. Maybe you could try calling the hospital and see what they say - they could also give you an indication of cost.

Good luck

There is an English speaking samaritans service....

That sounds as if it might be a possibility. I hope to hear from you soon! Thanks.

The English contact number is: 02 713 6790.

And here's the link where I found it.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/09/06...al_30012897.php

Please advise if there's anything more I can do. Depending on his problems I 'd even be prepared to talk to him if it might offer some solutions.

There are too many farang suicides here in Thailand, and I am convinced that an expanded English samaritan service could prevent some of these.

What a relief to have something to try! Thank you so much for this number. I'm cutting this short to call right away, so I won't go on and on about how good it is of you to do this -- but please accept my profound gratitude, whether this contact proves useful or not.

Edit: a call to 02 713 6790 got me some information, especially that the English-language number these days is 02 713 6791. An English speaker is not always available at 90.

The lady I talked to seems eager to help. Now I have to trot out my best salesmanship to try to get some cooperation from a fellow who has been badly overstressed and may reject all reasonable suggestions....

I continue to request information and advice from everyone else. Please pass along anything that might contribute to a solution, and thanks in advance for that effort.

Edited by tourist43

Update: No luck getting my friend to talk to anyone. I hope you don't read about him in the paper.

If anyone has more ideas......TIA.

And thanks to all who responded.

Can you get a family member to call him and ask him to seek help for their sake ?

Just a thought...

Good luck.

Update: No luck getting my friend to talk to anyone. I hope you don't read about him in the paper.

If anyone has more ideas......TIA.

And thanks to all who responded.

There is a service that is not publicised (because so many people try and take advantage of it) - but if its a genuine case and their is no other way to resolve it, there are a bunch of guys (thai & farang) who will bail out your friend out - and by that I mean we will pay for any medical or pyschological help he needs immediatly if its life threatening - and we have also paid one way tickets home for guys who have nothing but the shirt on their back - in certain cases - if that is the solution to the problem.

Now read carefully what I am saying (i.e. what is it that is so bad that he cannot get the help or support he needs a) in this enviroment and :o back home from where he comes - does he have no friends or family?

You'd better PM me ultra fast and fillme in on the situation

Tim

if the reason for his state is mental/emotional stress - try massage therapy, possible with an english speaking therapist so your friend can talk if he wants during the treatment.

I honestly don't think if a person thinks that they have no other option apart from suicide that a massage will give them a change of heart.

he doesn't want to talk to anybody - so psychiatrist/psychologist is not much use. It's a medication prescribed by the doctor, a mental institution (if patient is suicidal and aggressive) or a good, non-verbal therapy, like massage therapy. It won't harm and in this case might be the only thing which can deal with his stress.

Sorry to be so slow, but problems connecting to internet lately.

Thanks to everyone who responded. I hope to see my friend on a plane for home in about three weeks. He bought his ticket, and he knows it's time to get out of here. Until then, I'm just hoping nothing sets him off.

Actually a good stiff massage has helped him, in a way; it's a good idea, and thanks for reminding me. I'll encourage him to go do it again. He relaxes a bit, which is a good thing... as far as talking goes, I had hoped that since he would talk to me, he might extend that to someone who is trained and experienced in helping folks who are deeply depressed and angry. Unfortunately there was nothing but a flat rejection of my suggestion. Trust is a huge issue for him.

So I think we just go along, walking on eggs, for the next three weeks. An occasional masage, maybe he'll talk a bit more to me, and so on. Need to keep him calm. I say getting him home will solve nothing internally, but if he has to be taken into custody, it will be in a nation that has a very different penal system and much better facilities for people who have lost it. He can get treatment of some sort from the government in his home nation, as he is entitled to some benefits there.

Again, sincere thanks, everybody!!

buy him massage therapy gift certificates, and not necessarily traditional thai massage which is pretty a massage routine and a painful one - that way you can get a better price as well (the more you pay in advance the better price you can get).

find an english speaking, experienced therapist - so your friend can open up during the treatment if he wants to.