Pattaya to spend 60 million baht on 200 more CCTV cameras

Rimmer

Pattaya to spend 60 million baht on 200 more CCTV cameras

PATTAYA:--Despite lacking funds to repair the nearly 1,600 closed-circuit security cameras it already has, Pattaya will spend another 60 million baht to install 200 more cameras on passenger ferries and at boat terminals on the mainland and Koh Larn.

The plan to install cameras on 50 boats was discussed at an Aug. 19 meeting led by Deputy Mayor Ronakit Ekasingh, who said the project was aimed at gaining the trust of boat passengers following a string of sinkings and accidents in recent years.

Asia Traffic Technology and Service Co. outlined the initiative’s details, installation plan and efficiency of CCTVs to control and observe vessel traffic to prevent accidents and provide safety for passengers.

Four thermal cameras will be installed on the Pattaya side at the lighthouse on a 15-meter pole. Each one will face the sea to cover the entire bay, and each is able to zoom four kilometers with a 24-hour recording time.

The idea is to use the cameras to spot bodies in the water in case of an accident.

Six similar cameras will be mounted on the Koh Larn side, at Samae Beach, the pier, Koh Larn Temple and at the Koh Larn Shooting Range. These cameras can detect heat signatures up to eight kilometers away.

Each of 50 boats will be given two cameras and a radio set. The cameras will monitor both operators and passengers to check, for example, if they are using life jackets, or for capturing the cause of an accident. Information is recorded and sent to a traffic-control center.

Project manager Borphit Taveerath said installation can begin in September and would be finished by the start of next year.

- See more at: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/pattaya-to-spend-60-million-baht-on-200-more-cctv-cameras-50608#sthash.pXdJ7s8U.dpuf

pattayamaillogo.png
-- Pattaya Mail 2015-08-28 footer_n.gif

All of which, when you need them they either stopped working coz no gave a toss about them, or producing

low quality grainy still shots that can tell if the subject is a man or a women, but most of all, those cameras

probably rally only half of the amount and the rest gone you know where...

With only 159 of the almost 1,600 existing cameras functioning why bother installing new ones.

They clearly have no ability to maintain equipment so why throw good money after bad. The new

cameras will be NFG (not functioning good) tongue.png in short order, so just put the entire budget

in someone's pocket and move on. Just 159 of 1,700 cameras will be functioning. whistling.gif

US$8,500+ per camera to include fitting etc, couple new houses under the table here. No way, they should put it out internationally for tender and for it to go through central government scrutiny. Each tender to be made public. I bet it come with no warranty.

"The check on the 1,591 closed-circuit television cameras, however, has become a top priority as both police and Pattaya City Council members previously indicated that as many as 90 percent of the devices are broken.

Project manager Borphit Taveerath said installation can begin in September and would be finished by the start of next year."

Are these people crazy ? With possibly 1000 camera's not working why not fix them first before buying more that will probably become inoperable very soon ? I also note the 60,000,000 baht could be spent as soon as next week ? Something looks very suspicious about this purchase ?

Baht 300,000 a camera!!!!! Ok this is a joke right? I have as part of my job bought thousnads of cameras over the years and none have cost this much each. The closest ones that came to this were the ones in Intrinsically Safe housings and they didnt quite hit this figure. Someone is taking them for a ride, this is a ridiculous price and should be looked into

Edited by gandalf12

Oy vey.... Is it impossible to consider having existing police force walk a beat? Perhaps a little training while they are at it? Are they expecting some sort of Normandy style action in future?

What does "Oy Vey" mean?

I have seen it before but I don't recognize it in the languages I know.

is it HD at least? blink.png

Be hard to buy a camera that isnt H264 or better now

H264 isnt hd.... I could give you a 1px square video in h264!

As for everyone calculating cost per camera, thats like saying 1 million baht for 4 wheels is crazy and forgetting the rest of the car that comes with it.

50 boats means at least 50 recording systems too, plus possibly water tight containers for said system, plus maybe mobile networking to relay streams to a central location on land...maybe not but should if they expect video to be useful in an emergency.

And those lighthouse cams with heat tracking and 2km zoom...not looked for those before but 300k sounds on the cheap side!

Fixing existing cams could be considered a priority and maybe rightly so, but would have 0% impact on todays public priority in "being world leaders in maritime safety, arent we so great...wait what were we doing..."

But fully agree this budget is a little crazy and could certainly be better spent in different ways with lower kickbacks...but the pessimists here dont have time for objective analysis.

As for everyone calculating cost per camera, thats like saying 1 million baht for 4 wheels is crazy and forgetting the rest of the car that comes with it.

50 boats means at least 50 recording systems too, plus possibly water tight containers for said system, plus maybe mobile networking to relay streams to a central location on land...maybe not but should if they expect video to be useful in an emergency.

And those lighthouse cams with heat tracking and 2km zoom...not looked for those before but 300k sounds on the cheap side!

Fixing existing cams could be considered a priority and maybe rightly so, but would have 0% impact on todays public priority in "being world leaders in maritime safety, arent we so great...wait what were we doing..."

But fully agree this budget is a little crazy and could certainly be better spent in different ways with lower kickbacks...but the pessimists here dont have time for objective analysis.

H264 is Blutooth standard. More than adequat for a CCTV camera. If they do buy cameras they need to buy dual Colour / B&W cameras with auto changeover.

So, one year and 60 million Baht later we will have nearly 1,800 broken closed-circuit cameras in Pattaya.

Tax money well spent.

Why is it, that in such cases (and with such proposals), there is never one single face to lose?

Damn, I confess, I'm obviously still not yet assimilated enough to ask such an unqualified question.

Edited by Andreas2

Baht 300,000 a camera!!!!! Ok this is a joke right? I have as part of my job bought thousnads of cameras over the years and none have cost this much each. The closest ones that came to this were the ones in Intrinsically Safe housings and they didnt quite hit this figure. Someone is taking them for a ride, this is a ridiculous price and should be looked into

Nobody is taking them for a ride, they themselves are arranging for the ride of their lives.

H264 is Blutooth standard. More than adequat for a CCTV camera. If they do buy cameras they need to buy dual Colour / B&W cameras with auto changeover.

H.264 is Bluetooth standard???

Are you sure you bought THOUSANDS of cameras for your job?

H.264 is one of many video compression formats that is irrelevant to either resolution or bluetooth...similar lines to mp4 or divx both of which can be transmitted via bluetooth and support any resolution.

H.264 can send a single pixel via microwave, uhd via bluetooth or hd via ip-over-carrier-pigeon (plus more)

I'm ever amazed at the massive incompetence of Thai police and government officials. Had the CCTV cameras been working properly at the recent bombing site, the culprit may well have been identified by now ... and maybe even arrested.

What does "Oy Vey" mean?

I have seen it before but I don't recognize it in the languages I know.

Google is your friend. I looked it up because I was wondering myself. "Ayah" is my equivalent exclamation.

post-21260-14407967619463_thumb.jpg