Tuberculosis -

STUDMEYER

Hey All,

It's been brought to my attention that some little ones have been getting a TB (Tuberculosis) vaccination in these parts. Based on what I have read I am not so sure that this is a real concern. Our advice coming from a western country to Thailand did not include getting vaccinated for TB. Our advice from the family doctor here in CM did not include any warnings or suggestions to get vaccinated for TB when we discussed our vaccination schedule for our son.

I found this on the forum:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/839108-thailand-ranks-the-worlds-no-18-for-high-incidence-of-tb-infection/?hl=tuberculosis

^^^ someone in Chiang Mai has had their quality of life severely reduced do to this disease. There are 114,000 cases of TB in Thailand each year, as well as a high percentage that is drug resistant.

Further, I understand there are risks to getting the vaccination and permanent scarring, with risks of secondary infections and to top it all off the vaccine is does not always protect you.

Can those with knowledge on this subject share their information and experience on this disease here in Chiang Mai/Thailand in general, whether it's truly an issue, whether your children have been vaccinated etc

Thanks

SM

Edited by STUDMEYER

My kids have been vacinated and I thoroughly recommend it.

A nurse friend of ours was diagnosed with TB last week. Caught from a patient. She now has to take 9 pills a day for treatment.

Edited by Farma

My kids have been vacinated and I thoroughly recommend it.

A nurse friend of ours was diagnosed with TB last week. Caught from a patient. She now has to take 9 pills a day for treatment.

Farma,

Did your children get the BCG vaccine? How old were they when they got it? Were there any side effects?

Have you gotten the vaccine or the skin test done on yourself?

Thanks

SM

I was vaccinated as a kid with no side effects apart from a small scar on my upper left arm. Both my kids had the vaccinations 15 or 20 years ago and no side effects for them too. One suffers from allergies and it didnt have an adverse effect on them.

Both my kids get keloid scars with bad cuts but nothing much appeared after the vaccinations. The vaccinations were BCG.

Tuberculosis seems to be on the rise everywhere. Get the BCG - I had no problems at all with it as a kid and the whole school was done. I don't recall any problems with any of my friends. BCG is not recommended for adults however.

Edited by Mousehound