Have the Russians left Pattaya?

Walter Travolta

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was nothing to do with property?? It was about the ruble now being worth 50% as it was before.

pmugghc you are miles off! Go to an exchange booth and see if you get 2 rubles for 1 baht cheesy.gif it even tells you in the window what you get. Seriously bored now due to philistines coffee1.gif topic unfollowed

We're talking rounded numbers. Why don't you go to an exhange booth and try to get 1 baht by giving 0.5 ruble like your example!

Or how about this: I'll give you a better deal: instead of 0.5, how about I give you 600,000 ruble and you give me 1,000,000 baht? Then you'll make a nice profit of 100,000 rubles! Deal?

It was nothing to do with property?? It was about the ruble now being worth 50% as it was before.

pmugghc you are miles off! Go to an exchange booth and see if you get 2 rubles for 1 baht cheesy.gif it even tells you in the window what you get. Seriously bored now due to philistines coffee1.gif topic unfollowed

Why can't you be a man and admit you had it backwards?

No, you will get 1.820Roubles.

So the Rouble is worth less in Thailand than it was. If a Russian has property assets in Thailand, then he can sell and covert to Roubles and make a profit..Logically many Russians would better off selling. Given there is an unlikely scenario where current sanctions will be lifted any time soon.

Hence there should be many second hand condos on the market driving the price down...but this is Thailand.

So the Rouble is worth less in Thailand than it was. If a Russian has property assets in Thailand, then he can sell and covert to Roubles and make a profit..Logically many Russians would better off selling.

1 Rouble in 2014, and 1 Rouble in 2015 - is too much different.
For 1 rouble in 2014 you could bought more commodities in Russia, than for 1 rouble in 2015. Because prices in Russia is grow. And purchase power of Russian rouble is down. So, in your scenario, yes, seller may get profit, but this is only "paper profit", not real profit.
In practice, many Russian people don't keep they money in Russian roubles. They may have roubles for everyday life, but for serious sum Russians keep they money in $US or Euro.
Edited by Cat On Moon

The rough mannerisms (not being aware to make room on a songtaew for other passengers; drinking too much Vodka, lack of smiling faces; talking loud; and being frugal...) has to do with the upbringing during the communist days. The younger generation is not like this and have class. Sad to not see the nice families not being able to visit Thailand because of the fall of the ruble. (Better than a loud sweaty drunk sex-tourist Westerner thinking Pattaya is only for picking up women that normally back home a woman would not touch him with a ten foot pole.)

Its surprising how many people dont understand exchange rates.

Ok if before 1 baht= 1 Ruble , and now 1 baht =2 Ruble ( or 0.5 baht= 1 Ruble......Which is the same thing) . Then if you are a Russian buying Baht now you are much worse off than previously. However if you are selling Baht now for Ruble you are better off.

So as explained with the buying the condo for 1M Baht ( at the time 1M Ruble) , and selling it now, the seller will indeed get twice the Ruble he originally paid when he exchanges his 1M Baht back to Ruble, in this case he gets 2M Ruble.

This assumes the Thai Baht buying & selling price of the condo are the same.

Now whether hes gained by this depends on what he plans to do with the money.If he takes the 2M Ruble back to Russia and the price of whatever he plans on buying ( grocerys/fuel/car/property/holiday in Russia) hasn't doubled in the last 2 years ....then he will have for sure made a tidy some.

BUT if he wants to spend the money again in another country, the result could/would be very different.

....On the original topic I have condo in Pratumnak......Far less Russians now than before , for me a good thing. Cosy beach almost bare in the daytime. I know its low season but it hope it remains this way . As someone said maybe the Russians will consider selling now and take the profit back home.

Edited by Rolanddrums

To Walter and Stoli..

The problem with being mathematically challenged is that you'll never be able to figure out why you are wrong... facepalm.gif

Bobbin - I am trying to point out that the ruble has weakened which means the Russians will be spending twice as much money in Thailand than they were when the baht to the ruble was 1 to 1

Before, they could exchange 1 ruble and receive 1 baht

Now, they have to exchange 2 rubles to receive 1 baht

I also think that is what Stoli was saying although he needs to confirm that himself

Please dont make out I am thick when I know exactly what I am saying

If you dont understand what I have stated above, then that is your problem

Agreed, however when they send their 3m Baht back to Russia, they will receive twice as much when they convert it to roubles.

The rouble is now only worth half what it was against the Baht, they get two roubles for every Baht. They wouldn't convert it in Thailand. So in theory 100% profit.

On paper. But if the ruble has been devalued by half, then the "twice as many rubles" will only have the approximate purchasing power of the original amount (of pre-devaluation) rubles...

I don't know how taxes work in Russia, but if it were in the U.S., you'd get the additional kick in the pants of paying tax on that paper "profit", thus actually leaving you with less real purchasing power than you had to begin with.

Sergey buys his condo in 2014 when it costs him 2 million baht. The ruble is 1:1 with the baht at this time. Therefore it cost him 2 million rubles.

Fast forward to 2015 and Sergey SELLS his condo for 1.5 million baht, and sends the baht home to Russia. He now gets 1.86 rubles for every baht in his pocket. Sergey needs bigger pockets because now after the sale of his condo for 2 million baht he now has 3,720,852 rubles in his pocket.

Just had to make it simple for a couple of readers here.

post-65266-0-69065400-1441172217_thumb.j

Another one, goes offline/unfollowed thread because he won't admit he is wrong. When you go to an exchange booth you are changing your home currency be it GBP, RUB, USD etc. The signs show what you will get for your home currency, not the other way around.

The photo attached shows you will get .46 BAHT for every RUB. If this fellow now wants to change baht with his money from his condo sale (yes this was specifically stated earlier in the thread) To Rouble he will get 2 Roubles for every baht (roughly). In essence he has doubled his money and it could be very handy for him back home with all the economic turmoil going on in his country.

post-29657-0-02917300-1441174578_thumb.j

No, they haven't. I count as 17 russians and I'm going to Pattaya sooooon. Pattaya, I have returneeeeedddd! Or rather will returnclap2.gif

Or, maybe Phuket? We'll see.

No, don't go to Phuket! Come to Pattaya, we need you here! But please, one request, please wear a shirt when in town. And another thing - Speedos are not really street wear, despite what some people think, so maybe a pair of shorts (not boxer shorts, those are considered underwear)

Russians have not left Pattaya, but we are getting low.

Why the need? Borscht?

Purely selfish reasons, I speak Russians, and used to have good friends here, but they worked as travel agents, and they are all gone now. Most were doing really bad in last high season, October and November were terrible, they waited for Christmas and News Years to get better, but nothing happened, and last guys I knew left in January.

It is not just Thailand, Turkey is very popular with Russian tourists, beach resorts Alanya, Antalya in Turkey all empty now

Sergey buys his condo in 2014 when it costs him 2 million baht. The ruble is 1:1 with the baht at this time. Therefore it cost him 2 million rubles.

Fast forward to 2015 and Sergey SELLS his condo for 1.5 million baht, and sends the baht home to Russia. He now gets 1.86 rubles for every baht in his pocket. Sergey needs bigger pockets because now after the sale of his condo for 2 million baht he now has 3,720,852 rubles in his pocket.

But the 3,720,852 rubles now no longer have the purchasing power that the original 2 million rubles did... Yes, undeniably more rubles at the end, but less real money. (Well, assuming it's not all down to some aberration in the baht-rubles exchange rate...) There's a REASON why a ruble USED to buy him a full baht, but now only 54 satang...

No, they haven't. I count as 17 russians and I'm going to Pattaya sooooon. Pattaya, I have returneeeeedddd! Or rather will returnclap2.gif

Or, maybe Phuket? We'll see.

No, don't go to Phuket! Come to Pattaya, we need you here! But please, one request, please wear a shirt when in town. And another thing - Speedos are not really street wear, despite what some people think, so maybe a pair of shorts (not boxer shorts, those are considered underwear)

You're on, buddy! But if I'm not going to wear Speedos, how are you going to recognize me? Speedos are in this year, by the way (and last year and next year as well :)).

I'll tell all my friends about Speedos and they'll also tell their friends, and they'll tell their friends.... Join us right now, buy Speedos, be a hip guy. Don't be too late!

But the 3,720,852 rubles now no longer have the purchasing power that the original 2 million rubles did... Yes, undeniably more rubles at the end, but less real money. (Well, assuming it's not all down to some aberration in the baht-rubles exchange rate...) There's a REASON why a ruble USED to buy him a full baht, but now only 54 satang...

The calculations are wrong. He stated that Sergey sold his house for 1.5 million baht, so he only gets 2.79 million rubles. The inflation rate in Russia for the last 2 years has been running at over 15% per annum, so if he only bought his house 2 years ago, his rubles have lost about 31% in purchasing power, in Russia, so he ends up with the equivalent of only 1.92 million rubles, and after expenses he's lost quite bit.

Im not a bigot, I am friendly to anyone who is nice enough to be friendly back. The reason I started the topic was because I was interested in buying a condo and the only thing that put me off was the fact that if I got a place near some Russians or some Russians moved in near me and started partying all night, then I wouldnt be happy. The reason I mentioned Russians is because partying all night seems to be one of their traits, along with being drunk in the streets and being ignorant enough to not step aside in the street EVER. I move for people and hold doors open for people no matter their gender, age or nationality.

I could add that a Chinese trait is that they wander around the road like it is a footpath and wander why cars and bikes sound their horns at them!

I could add that Indians walk down the soi 4 or 5 abreast taking up the whole of the soi? I could also add that they frequent gogo bars in same size groups and only buy 1 coke and get as close to the girls as they can.

These are not racist slurs like one member tried to accuse me of but was moderated, these are traits of certain nationalities that are being pointed out.

Im from England, feel free to point out some traits about English people. Some people are too easily offended by things that aren't even meant to be offensive.

Most people do not write things to be offensive, but it seems many people like to read things so they can say they are offended for the sake of stirring up trouble

I saw a WW2 documentary about the Brits supplying the Ruskies via convoy thru the North Sea.

1941-ish mind you.

One of the old Brits had to go hang out w/ the Russians at their port.

He said "They were bloody savages". clap2.gif

Im not a bigot, I am friendly to anyone who is nice enough to be friendly back. The reason I started the topic was because I was interested in buying a condo and the only thing that put me off was the fact that if I got a place near some Russians or some Russians moved in near me and started partying all night, then I wouldnt be happy. The reason I mentioned Russians is because partying all night seems to be one of their traits, along with being drunk in the streets and being ignorant enough to not step aside in the street EVER. I move for people and hold doors open for people no matter their gender, age or nationality.

I could add that a Chinese trait is that they wander around the road like it is a footpath and wander why cars and bikes sound their horns at them!

I could add that Indians walk down the soi 4 or 5 abreast taking up the whole of the soi? I could also add that they frequent gogo bars in same size groups and only buy 1 coke and get as close to the girls as they can.

These are not racist slurs like one member tried to accuse me of but was moderated, these are traits of certain nationalities that are being pointed out.

Im from England, feel free to point out some traits about English people. Some people are too easily offended by things that aren't even meant to be offensive.

Most people do not write things to be offensive, but it seems many people like to read things so they can say they are offended for the sake of stirring up trouble

I saw a WW2 documentary about the Brits supplying the Ruskies via convoy thru the North Sea.

1941-ish mind you.

The Germans and Japanese weren't gentlemen back in 1941 either, but they are rather civilized these days. Times change and we need to forget this and move on.

1941-ish mind you.

The Germans and Japanese weren't gentlemen back in 1941 either, but they are rather civilized these days. Times change and we need to forget this and move on.

Agreed.

I HAVE met some nice Russians. They're not all bad.

I also had a German lady toss my computer on the floor at the Frankfurt Airport. She was digging for her bag & just tossed mine aside at the carry-on X-Ray machine.

Most Germans are nice though.

I met some Siberian guys (Russians) once. They told me that even they hated Muskovites.

Many posts on TV display Eurocentrism, subtle racism, and thinly veiled bigotry. It is actually getting tiresome.

It is hard to take seriously "Not a bigot" then to carry on with a post which is the epitome of prejudice and stereotyping. Everything wrong with Russians, Chinese, and Indians, but it is OK because you are just pointing out "traits of people". I could point out traits of posh prats, Chavs who pick fight for sport, and football hooligans who get pissed, smash heads randomly, then board trains and threaten people out of their first class carriages. But don't bother because it I would be prejudicing a whole nation based on negatives only. There must be something good about Chinese, Indians, and Russians? It would be more intellectually honest to at least admit your sense of entitlement and superiority and say you do not not care to live in a Condo with Russians. Pattaya attracts various people for various reasons, carrying on is one of them. Recently Russian tourist have increased on Guam by the way. Compared to Asian tourists they stay longer and spend much more and are highly sought after by the tourist industry here. Almost all of them are families with kids or pushing prams. I never see them lining up for the dodgy massages or lady bars, and are completely well behaved. No they don't smile or make small talk with strangers, it is not part of their culture apparently and I am fine with that.

Sent from my clamshell

Edited by arunsakda