Moving

duckmandon

I currently live in Chiang Mai & I am contemplating selling & moving to Phuket. We would buy a condo & start a bussiness there. Can any of you long term residents advise on this move. I would be interested to hear about safety, living standards & lifestyle. I love the water thats one good reason for the move as I can go fishing & boating. Please only constructive comments whether bad or good.

Rent a place after you find an area you might like. It's much easier to move if you end up with an <deleted> neighbor or the situation changes than if you buy. Business? None of mine, but throw away whatever you have to lose as it's surely a gamble!

Safety (excepting m/bike driving), living standards, lifestyle all good.

But I hope you have a good business plan to support that lifestyle.

My wife is a beautician/hairdresser & we have a shop in Chiang Mai so thats the idea for Phuket. She speaks good english so we hope to attract foreign tourists. She does nails, tattoo eyebrows & normal salon stuff. I ride a big bike so would still ride there but take more care than normal. BTW it's still risky riding anywhere in Chiang Mai & the world if I may say so. Cars, trucks, buses, vans etc. all potential hazards.

If you are planning on buying a business, then you are really going to be spoilt for choice.

Can you elaborate? Are there many for sale? We have a beauty salon now & would either start up a new one or buy an existing. Might be looking for extra income as well.

If you are planning on buying a business, then you are really going to be spoilt for choice.

Can you elaborate? Are there many for sale? We have a beauty salon now & would either start up a new one or buy an existing. Might be looking for extra income as well.

Yes. Lots and lots of businesses for sale including many beauty shops.

Safety (excepting m/bike driving), living standards, lifestyle all good.

But I hope you have a good business plan to support that lifestyle.

My wife is a beautician/hairdresser & we have a shop in Chiang Mai so thats the idea for Phuket. She speaks good english so we hope to attract foreign tourists. She does nails, tattoo eyebrows & normal salon stuff. I ride a big bike so would still ride there but take more care than normal. BTW it's still risky riding anywhere in Chiang Mai & the world if I may say so. Cars, trucks, buses, vans etc. all potential hazards.

not sure about CM but there are hundreds of those shops here

and to be anywhere near where a farang would find you, the rent would kill you.

Plenty of big bikes down here and more than a few clubs

Beauty salon ... so so many already here in Phuket. Tough business, need to build a good reputation or have a lot of friends. I've known at least 3 farang friends with wife/lady friend buying a beauty salon. None of them lasted a year. Best of luck.

PS it's not just beauty shops having a tough time, it's all small businesses. I know cos I have a small business these past 17 years here in Phuket.