Mobile Phone For Internet

Carl Spackler

Arriving back in Thailand in 2 weeks. I was wondering if anyone here can explain to me what I would need to connect a mobile phone to my laptop to be able to get wireless access to the internet in Thailand. I would use the Nokia phone I bought for my Thai gf, I think it has a data port.

Thanks,

Bill

I use AIS GPRS service with my Sony Ericsson T68i, connecting to my laptop via bluetooth. It works well, and I've tested it from most parts of Thailand. You need to check if your phone and SIM card support GPRS, and that your phone and laptop can communicate. IR between phone and computer is ok, though slower and they must be very close. I bought a little USB bluetooth dongle in BKK for 1200B which works great. I also have my Palm T3 on the internet the same way...

Using your girlfriends phone for internet access will probably not be so easy... Most likely she'll be under one of the pre-paid plans, which won't support data services, or if they do (Dtac) it will be at a rediculous high price (100 Baht/Mb).

The only reasonable priced access plans are the promotions from AIS and Dtac at 1200B/month and 999 B/month respectively(for unlimited access). This means your girlfriend has to take at least a one year contract under on of those plans to be able to get internet access... Foreigners cannot get a Thai post paid sim card, except if you have a workpermit!

If you want to go for it, to connect the phone to your laptop, you'll need either a cable or use the infrared link. Cables are easy obtainable in most shops. For a nokia phone you need to have the PCsuite software installed on your PC. Free download from the nolia website, or supplied with the more expensive models...

Thanks guys. My girlfriend is in Nong Khai with family now. I plan on staying there for a while and then we will travel around Thailand for a few months while we wait for fiancee visa for US. I don't care if she is a former bargirl she is great and I am not worried. Anyway I need to access internet everyday and this seems to be the best way while travelling. What type of speed and reliability of connection do you guys get?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showuser=8836

Thanks again

I only use it when I'm away from home (waiting for ADSL!) but a few months ago I was travelling within Thailand for two weeks and the GPRS always worked. Speed is about the same as dialup. Good connection for me in Krabi, Koh Lanta, Ao Nang, Kanchanaburi, Sangkhlaburi, and Chiang Rai.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got around to test this: Nokia GPRS phone, AIS 1-2-call, computer connecting via bluetooth. The setup worked ok, about the same or maybe a little slower than my 56k landline modem .. but the cost ... I checked my balance before and after and ca. 4-5 minutes light use (just a couple of webpages) cost a cool 100baht! Ouch!

I was going to use it as a backup to the landline for those times when the line is dead, probably about an hour per month, but @ 1200 baht/hour I think I'll keep using the internet cafe's for backup.

Prepaid GPRS is indeed very expensive!

I'm on the internet sim promotion from AIS where you pay 1200 Baht/month for 500 minutes calling time + the first 6 months unlimited internet, the second 6 months you'll only get 150 Mb, when you go over you pay extra at the same rate as those prepaid cards. If it wasn't for the promotion, I would have had a :o 10300 Baht :D bill in my first month...

Hi Madsere,

The current promo is a bit different from the one I got a couple of months back, same 1200 Baht, but instead of 500 minutes calling time you'll get 100 SMS messages :D

Still first 6 months unlimited internet, the second 6 months you get 200 Mb (i get only 150Mb). And still the same ridiculous 100 Baht/Mb if you go over the 200Mb !! (yes, that's a cool 10,000 Baht for 100Mb extra :o:D )

Check out

http://www.gsmadvance.com/e/shop/promotion..._isim_pack.aspx

I had to go down to the main AIS office in Sri Racha, none of the shops in Pattaya can give you this account (including the Telewiz zhops). Print out the promo page, since I had a hard time convincing them they had a promo going on !!!

Monty

madsere,

You're probably right... 100 sms... not much of use unless you've got a GF living somewhere upcountry...Combined with the 500' calling time it was a good deal considering the savings on one2call cards...

Still if you really nead the internet... 10000 Baht/100Mb on prepaid cards stays ridiculous...

If U use 300 Mb/ month on one2call cards This would equate to 360000 Baht/year!!!! No Joke...

On the promo package It would be 74400Baht/year... (12X1200 + 6X10000)

That's 6200 Baht/month... I guess many people would be willing to pay this just for the privilege off mobility! 300Mb/month is realistic webaccess at modemspeed...

Valentinoxxx,

To obtain a post paid account you have a couple of options:

* If you want it in your own name you'll need a work permit.

* In your girlfriends/wife's name is no problem...

* In your Co.Ltd.'s name... (my case) is no problem...

Anything else, sorry Farang...can not...

If you're lucky enough to be in the coverage area of Hutchinson (dataservice) you can get a much better deal...Initial investment is higher (aircard) but usage is much more realistic!

Not sure but I thought the latest prices where something like 1480 Baht/month including 300Mb and 10 Baht/Mb extra OR 1980 Baht/month including 500Mb and 5 Baht/Mb extra...

On top of this you'll get at least double the speed as AIS/Dtac GPRS and probably triple!!!

Only don't understand why they won't market a handset capable of hooking up to a laptop/PC... You're still stuck with a Pcmcia card, only usefull on a computer...

Check out

http://www.hutch.co.th/Hutch_promotion_PCMCIA.htm

Monty

Thing is, I use Ji-Net Shark Byte @ 350 baht/month unlimited access on my landline, I only need the GPRS connection for the avg one hour monthly where the landine dies.

Anyway, they'll probably have another promotion sometimes, there are always promotions going on and they change all the time, just a matter of keeping the eyes peeled :o

If you're lucky enough to be in the coverage area of Hutchinson (dataservice) you can get a much better deal...Initial investment is higher (aircard) but usage is much more realistic!

Monty:

do you know where I can find out about coverage area?

Wonder if this works out of Bangkok - up-country?

How far does Hutch's network go?

Info gratefully received......

Monty:

many thanks for the URL to Hutch coverage.

I live in Ratchaburi - so it looks like late Summer for my area to be fully set up.

This is apppealing to me - I use laptop, and like so many in rural arweas, CANNOT perceive of ever getting a landline!

Looking at IPStar as alternative, but Hutch prices and amount of data make it attractive - after the B17K outlay on a card.

Are your experiences with their service positive?

What's their customer services like?

regards and thanks again!

Don't know about cust service etc...

Only have seen it used every so often with good results (much faster then GPRS)

There is a local guy in Pattaya (Farang) who sells these cards and the service, so people over here don't have to deal with the Hutch cust service!