TAT governor-to-be aims to increase number of tourists by ten million for last 4 months of 2015

Lite Beer

TAT governor-to-be aims to increase number of tourists by ten million for last 4 months of 2015

BANGKOK, 29 August 2015 (NNT) - The newly appointed governor of Tourism Authority of Thailand, Yuthasak Supasorn, has said he will increase the number of tourists by ten million during the last four months of this year, beginning on September 1, the first day he takes office.

According to him, Thailand has welcomed around twenty million tourists since the beginning of this year. He also said his tourism promotion policy would restore international confidence in the Thai tourism sector.

He plans to expand community-based tourism to stimulate the grassroots economy, in line with the government’s economic policies announced earlier.

The plan to revive the tourism sector is divided into two parts. To attract overseas tourists, the TAT will focus on recovering global confidence in Thailand through marketing strategies to be implemented in Sep - Oct. Expos and international events, especially sports competition, will also draw more tourists to Thailand.

For domestic tourism, he plans to carry on with the existing strategy, with a goal to rake in THB 800 billion baht for the sector. He said the Deputy Prime Minister Somkid Jatusripitak's newly launched policy would generate more income for low-income people, resulting in more travel.

Thai tourists normally spend around THB 1,200 per day while traveling, said the The Governor, adding that the TAT should organize promotion activities to entice them to travel more often.

He was also optimistic that the government’s policy to subsidize farmers and extend loans to SMEs at specially low interest rate would be powerful forces to drive capital flow at community level.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-08-29 footer_n.gif

Well good luck with that and I hope it works. Coincides with a story in today's Telegraph saying that arrivals in August are down 17% year on year....and that seems to match what people in the industry are saying. Lots of hotels planning partial renovations in high season...unheard of in previous times

Well good luck with that and I hope it works. Coincides with a story in today's Telegraph saying that arrivals in August are down 17% year on year....and that seems to match what people in the industry are saying. Lots of hotels planning partial renovations in high season...unheard of in previous times

I like your posts,but I tend to go outside TV to get another or proper perspective regarding anything that happens in Thailand.Ignore all the Yahoo news which is a repeat of Thai news.There is so much more out there.

This sort of remarkable promise and policy design usually comes from months of research and analysis. But he hasn't even taken up the post, yet.

Bluster.

Besides, he has forgotten that marketing strategies don't work over night. Tourists get hooked on an idea to travel, and then plan months ahead. So if he's starting his marketing strategy in September (tomorrow....wow, a lot of planning in those strategies!), then he's not going to see the fruits of them until maybe the end of the year.

Bluster.

Wait...so Popkorn is no longer in charge?

She never was.

Kobkarn Wattanavrankul is with the

Ministry of Tourism and Sports - MOTS -

http://www.mots.go.th/ewtadmin/ewt/mots_eng/main.php?filename=index01

as opposed to:

Tourism Authority of Thailand - TAT - http://www.tourismthailand.org/

Department of Tourism - DOT - http://www.tourism.go.th/home/content

What we have here are three very different troughs.

So he thinks that in the next four months he will double the number of tourists that arrived here in the previous 8 months. Wishful thinking at best. I guess their plans to only have "quality" tourists is not panning out as they planned.

??????

Wait...so Popkorn is no longer in charge?

She never was.

Kobkarn Wattanavrankul is with the

Ministry of Tourism and Sports - MOTS -

http://www.mots.go.th/ewtadmin/ewt/mots_eng/main.php?filename=index01

as opposed to:

Tourism Authority of Thailand - TAT - http://www.tourismthailand.org/

Department of Tourism - DOT - http://www.tourism.go.th/home/content

What we have here are three very different troughs.

You're right.

My bad.

I like Popkorn.

The newly appointed governor of Tourism Authority of Thailand, Yuthasak Supasorn, has said he will increase the number of tourists by ten million during the last four months of this year, beginning on September 1, the first day he takes office.

How will he personally do that? Accelerated pregnancies by TAT governor's super-sperm?

Edited by klauskunkel

20 million in first 8 months.

10 million predicted for remaining 4 months.

This guy will fit right in.

Wow get the bear gun out this guy is loaded for bear. Maybe he will turn ordinary Thai's into honorary tourists. This guy sounds way to intelligent for the job. Make him minister of finance. He could pump the numbers there.

I love the post reads: According to him... You gotta believe the Newspaper knows this guy is full of shit, but can't say anything. The TOT's figures are always nonsense. Always.

I admire the new guy's restraint. He could have said 50 million. 10 million, 50 million, what's the difference? I can see this guy has a lot of integrity...oh sorry, I meant imagination. Freudian slip writing integrity, haha.

TOT remains the most entertaining Thai branch of government. Or whatever designation of bullshit it is. Governor of TOT. Now, there's a title. cheesy.gif

Having a laugh. TOT, thank you Buddha.

Thai tourism is different, like Thai electricity. How the heck does he imagine that spending taxpayer money to promote domestic tourism will "rake in" all that baht, unless of course he and his cronies have private sector hotels and attractions, which is a conflict of interest anywhere else in the world? All it does is recirculate money already in the country. It is in private sector destination interests, not national interests because no incremental revenues come into the country from domestic tourism. So it looks corrupt for a national tourism ministry to be involved in promoting local private sector stakeholders' revenues. Promoting domestic tourism is like advertising to your kids to shop in your family store.

I love the post reads: According to him... You gotta believe the Newspaper knows this guy is full of shit, but can't say anything. The TOT's figures are always nonsense. Always.

I admire the new guy's restraint. He could have said 50 million. 10 million, 50 million, what's the difference? I can see this guy has a lot of integrity...oh sorry, I meant imagination. Freudian slip writing integrity, haha.

TOT remains the most entertaining Thai branch of government. Or whatever designation of bullshit it is. Governor of TOT. Now, there's a title. cheesy.gif

Having a laugh. TOT, thank you Buddha.

TIT for TAT not TOT.

Slow down there mate.

TOT is the Telecommunications Organization of Thailand, It used to be the Telephone Organization of Thailand until everyone went mobile. It is a state owned telecoms company.

TAT, which is what this article is about is the Tourist Authority of Thailand, not a government department, that is the MOTS - Ministry of Tourism & Sports, not to be confused with the DOT - Department Of Tourism, which is another government department. All slaving away to make sure we have healthy, wealthy and wise tourists.

So then, are we crystal clear now? Never mind TIT.thumbsup.gif