Cobra catching.

KenDidd

Thanks Charlie but id like to catch this one myself, ive only killed small ones before and the thought of killing a 2m whopper then riding around the village on my honda wave waving it around my head and yelping like a rabid dog is quite enchanting.

Go buy some sulphur put around your compound to keep snake away . A kindly reminder to you dun kill the snake or their whole family ( nest ) you get will very bad Karma in Return . Trust me , Amitaba .

Be warned: they spit poison too!

(not joking, from my own experience)

There is no snake that spits poison.

Cobra do spits , if your eye get it you will be blind , poison will go into your blood if it splits onto your skin .

So if the markings on the back is an 'o' they bite, but a 'u' they spit...

When I see one I'll ask it to turn around...

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

This one did spit...

attachicon.gif395356_268481879883012_1523383909_n.jpg

And it's got a 'u'... so maybe correct.

I started wearing specs with autochromatic lenses just in case...

Cobra do spits , if your eye get it you will be blind , poison will go into your blood if it splits onto your skin .

The venom goes into your blood if it gets in your eyes.

If it gets your skin it's no problem. It's not like acid blood from the alien movies!

But if your skin is broken then it can get into your bloodstream. I read a few stories about people opening their mouth in shock and get it in their mouth... if you have gum disease or mouth sores it's a problem. If you swallow some venom it's only a problem if you have ulcers or something.

Get it in your eyes and you have a high chance of stumbling forwards and getting bit too...

On a more serious note. I have considerable experience at catching live snakes more venomous and some more aggressive than Cobras, in Queensland which has the 10 most venomous snakes in the world.

My method, which has never failed me!

1 piece of 20mm electrical conduit about 2 meters long, or less if you are careful.

1 long length of 10mm cord.

Thread the cord up the conduit and double it back leaving a loop about size of a saucer.

Knot the two ends of the cord.

Place the loop over the snakes head and yank the cord tight very quickly

Bingo ! you have caught a live snake. Drop it into a hessian bag, first making sure there are no holes, tie the bag and take the snake as far away as possible to release.

It is illegal to just kill snakes in Australia.

I can list those venomous snakes in order if anyone wishes. Most snakes try to get away from you, but some such as the Taipan and Eastern Brown will definately attack if aroused. then one just has to stand perfectly still and you will be treated just like any other tree trunk, i have had them just slip over my boots and keep going.

The Cobra rears up and warns well before it strikes usually bluffing you to go away.

Another thing to note . With the Cobra in the pic on the ground.

You will be safer placing yourself in front of it ( head end) as standing at the tail end will put you well within range of its strike distance, standing in front of its head, it probably would not be able to reach you.

Anyhow good luck with the catching part, let us know how you got on. It is simple really just use caution but not fear !

Ah....let him have his fun. Cobras are great to play around with. Get yourself a flute and a large woven basket. Half the time they dance a bit and hop right into the basket.....

WRONG !!

Actually, there is a smart ass in our midst, he is splitting linguistic hairs - poison and venom.
The funny thing is the difference between poison and venom is that poison is absorbed by touch, ingested, or inhaled

Whereas venom is poison that is injected, so technically it isn't venom if it's sprayed or spat

Ok the locals had a good look around and a good clear up of where i thought the nest was, no snake or eggs found by the way.

Tomorrow the owners of the land behind our house have agreed to clear up that patch as well so maybe the snake will move on

and find a new home. I only wanted to kill it after it reared up and threatened me maybe if i was a little closer it would have struck.

So after taking a while today watching the hunt, reading your replys and looking at a bit of info on king cobras im gonna leave the

snake be, maybe i just got tooooooooo close. Thanks again, the diddy man.

Ok the locals had a good look around and a good clear up of where i thought the nest was, no snake or eggs found by the way.

Tomorrow the owners of the land behind our house have agreed to clear up that patch as well so maybe the snake will move on

and find a new home. I only wanted to kill it after it reared up and threatened me maybe if i was a little closer it would have struck.

So after taking a while today watching the hunt, reading your replys and looking at a bit of info on king cobras im gonna leave the

snake be, maybe i just got tooooooooo close. Thanks again, the diddy man.

Good man...finally some enlightenment...