Police Extortion - What to do!

ruds

Pattaya Police are trying to extort money from our business, they know where we are so I'm anxious about reporting it in case we get further problems from them in the future. Are there any real options or do we have to just give in to their extortionate demands?

Edited by ruds

If completely legal and not in one of those dubious sectors, I wouldn't worry too much and tell them to shove it.

Isn't there a national phone number set up by the NCPO or so to report this kind of issues?

Edited by Anthony5

Pattaya Policemen are horrible human beings, why would I make friends with any of them. I try my best to have as little contact with them as possible

I think its best not to generalize, its tough living on 10-15k baht a month in a city like Pattaya. If the RTP paid them adequately non of this BS would happen. It's still a good idea to make friends with them, especially the commissioned ones, people are people after all, just ask them what their favorite football team is and the mood will relax.

Edited by Lukecan

Easy to write if you have never owned or run a business here. Kinda like back seat driving. Often is the case that there is nothing you can do. Except waste time and increase stress levels.

If completely legal and not in one of those dubious sectors, I wouldn't worry too much and tell them to shove it.

Isn't there a national phone number set up by the NCPO or so to report this kind of issues?

Yes.

People who feel uncomfortable filing complaints about corruption or other troublesome issues with local authorities are urged to call a national hotline by dialing 1111.

The NCPO ordered the hotline to be established as a way of stopping local power mongers from preventing complaints being filed, explained Sompas Nilpan, public service director for the permanent secretary at the Prime Minister’s Office.

“The NCPO wanted to open channels of communication for people to report issues, concerns or any hardships, through four alternatives means,” he explained (story here).

The 1111 hotline is open 24 hours a day and staffed to receive 100 callers at any one time.

Other ways to file complaints directly to the NCPO are via the “hotline website” (click here); by postage-free envelope mailed to 1111 Government House, Bangkok, 10302; or in person at 1111 Service Center at Gate 4, Government House, Bangkok.

“This would allow the public to share their ideas with the NCPO; all complaints will be noted and people can follow up on the progress of action,” Mr Sompas said. - See more at: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Coup-leaders-invite-corruption-complaints-Phuket/31090#ad-image-0

People who feel uncomfortable filing complaints about corruption or other troublesome issues with local authorities are urged to call a national hotline by dialing 1111.

The NCPO ordered the hotline to be established as a way of stopping local power mongers from preventing complaints being filed, explained Sompas Nilpan, public service director for the permanent secretary at the Prime Minister’s Office.

“The NCPO wanted to open channels of communication for people to report issues, concerns or any hardships, through four alternatives means,” he explained (story here).

The 1111 hotline is open 24 hours a day and staffed to receive 100 callers at any one time.

Other ways to file complaints directly to the NCPO are via the “hotline website” (click here); by postage-free envelope mailed to 1111 Government House, Bangkok, 10302; or in person at 1111 Service Center at Gate 4, Government House, Bangkok.

“This would allow the public to share their ideas with the NCPO; all complaints will be noted and people can follow up on the progress of action,” Mr Sompas said. - See more at: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Coup-leaders-invite-corruption-complaints-Phuket/31090#ad-image-0

The link leads to an article which apppears to address similar issues in Phuket, but also contains information about the national anti-corruption hotline at 1111. There is a further link to a website, but it is only in Thai.

Edited by WaywardWind

Pattaya Policemen are horrible human beings, why would I make friends with any of them. I try my best to have as little contact with them as possible

I think its best not to generalize, its tough living on 10-15k baht a month in a city like Pattaya. If the RTP paid them adequately non of this BS would happen. It's still a good idea to make friends with them, especially the commissioned ones, people are people after all, just ask them what their favorite football team is and the mood will relax.

My staff live on 10-15k a month and are not even a little bit horrible

NickJ post # 18

Easy to write if you have never owned or run a business here. Kinda like back seat driving. Often is the case that there is nothing you can do. Except waste time and increase stress levels.

Been here for many years and have and still are running a number of business operations

We, I have never experienced any problems with the police regarding those.enterprises.

Customs boys were a trifle creative at times but we dealt with it in a time honoured fashion and created a ripple or two on the millpond and then it was plain sailing.

Take courage and act, if you don't you become a financial drip feed and as time passes the drip feed can and often does become a financial torrent.

There do not seem to be enough specifics here to give any proper answer.

If they are Bangkok police, for example, they need to first log into a local station here and be authorised to operate locally.

If they are Municipal police then it may be for local ordinances.

If they are Traffic or Highway police then they have no business with your business.

So many alternatives and so little info from the OP.

God Damn I remember the problems I used to have in Canada with that attitude, except mine might have been a little more justified from having been one and left for a job with the Government after wondering who the bigger criminals are too much. Personally, I find the police here much easier to deal with than the average hero OPP.

This reads like your "fine" might be justified under provisions of an international Ways and Means Act.

It sounds like a little more understanding and respect for some people doing a dirty job that somebody has to do like it or not might go a long way. Bear in mind what the average police wage in other parts of the world is, but of course nobody sees as much corruption.

What's the point here? That people with lots of money are never criminals and only poor people would commit extortion? You're joking right?

Thieves are thieves at all levels, even the rich, and an honest man won't rob you no matter how poor he is.

Cheers.

What could they do if you don't give them any money?

For example, if you run a bar (I know you've already mentioned you don't, this is just an example), if you were fully legal the BiB could still prove to be too much of a headache by coming in and checking the ID and drugs testing all your customers repeatedly to such a degree people stop coming to your bar.

People have already asked what business you are in. This is an important question because people can then ascertain what the Police could do to impact you.

It would also be good to know what rank the Policeman is, is he acting alone or is it a group of them acting on instructions from their station commander.

As already mentioned, in order to provide useful advice, more information is needed... OP: Help us to help you...

Edited by richard_smith237

What's the point here? That people with lots of money are never criminals and only poor people would commit extortion? You're joking right?

Thieves are thieves at all levels, even the rich, and an honest man won't rob you no matter how poor he is.

Cheers.

Then why is corruption more prevalent in countries with low income? If the living wage in that city is 20k, and the guy earns 10k, he's gonna resort to other means to make that extra 10k. This is why the RTP itself turns a blind eye to corruption and its dealt with a slap on the wrist when caught.

I'm not justifying the actions of the officers, just saying making friends with some of them would go a long way.

And by the way, everyone in Thailand who is doing business here is assuming the extra risk, you're gonna deal with corrupt officials, its a third world country and you knew it before setting up shop here.

What could they do if you don't give them any money?

For example, if you run a bar (I know you've already mentioned you don't, this is just an example), if you were fully legal the BiB could still prove to be too much of a headache by coming in and checking the ID and drugs testing all your customers repeatedly to such a degree people stop coming to your bar.

People have already asked what business you are in. This is an important question because people can then ascertain what the Police could do to impact you.

It would also be good to know what rank the Policeman is, is he acting alone or is it a group of them acting on instructions from their station commander.

As already mentioned, in order to provide useful advice, more information is needed... OP: Help us to help you...

Its traffic Police and a group of 7 of them. They have something valuable to a customer of ours and wont give it back unless we give them some red box money