Turkish embassy denies suspect is citizen of Turkey

Lite Beer

BANGKOK BLAST
Turkish embassy denies suspect is citizen of Turkey

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Turkish embassy in Bangkok denied that the bomb suspect arrested by Thai police and troops on Saturday is a citizen of Turkey, Police spokesman Pol Lt Gen Prawut Thawornsiri said Sunday.

Prawut said it could not yet be confirmed which nationality the suspect belongs to.

Prawut said several embassies have offered help to Thai authorities to check the background and nationality of the suspect.

The spokesman said he suspect still denied any involvement in the Erawan Shrine and Sathorn pier bombings.

He said the suspect who was arrested at an apartment building in Nong Chok district was now being held under the martial law that allows the authorities to hold a suspect without charges for seven days.

The bombing at the Erawan Shrine killed 20 victims, mostly foreign tourists.

The bomber was seen on CCTVs to look like an Arab. In one theory, it is believed the bombing was made to avenge the deportation of 109 Uighur migrants back to China.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Turkish-embassy-denies-suspect-it-citizen-30267752.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-08-30

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BANGKOK BLAST
Thai army chief says Bangkok bomb suspect uncooperative

BANGKOK:-- Thailand's army chief on Sunday told AFP the man arrested in connection with last week's deadly Bangkok bomb blast was not cooperating, as police announced he was part of a people-smuggling gang.

The unidentified foreigner, who is being held in military custody at an undisclosed location, was seized during a Saturday morning raid on a flat on the eastern outskirts of Bangkok.

Investigators say he was found with bomb-making equipment and multiple passports.

"The interrogation is not making progress because the suspect is not really giving useful information," army chief General Udomdej Sitabutr told AFP.

"We have to conduct further interrogations and make him better understand so he will be more cooperative -- while we have to be careful not to violate the suspect’s rights," he added.

The blast that hit the Erawan shrine in a busy Bangkok shopping district on August 17 was Thailand’s worst single mass-casualty attack, killing 20 people -- most of them ethnic Chinese tourists from across Asia.

Police and the junta have been keen to play down any suggestion the attack was launched by international terrorists or specifically targeted Chinese tourists.

National police spokesman Prawut Thavornsiri said officers believed the suspect was part of a people-smuggling gang who helped illegal migrants obtain counterfeit documents -- and that the bomb attack was retaliation for a recent crackdown by Thai authorities.

"They (the gang) are unsatisfied with police arresting illegal entrants," he told Channel 3 in a telephone interview without elaborating how investigators knew this.

Bangkok has long had a reputation for crime groups that produce counterfeit documents, while Thailand has been a major regional hub for both people-smuggling and people-trafficking.

Pictures released by police on Saturday showed stacks of Turkish passports which were allegedly found at the suspect’s flat. Police said they believe the passports are fake.

Authorities have yet to say what nationality the man is.

Prawut told reporters outside police headquarters that investigators were working "with several embassies" to ascertain his identity as well as using multiple translators.

Asked which languages, he confirmed English but would not be drawn on the others.

Defence Minister Prawit Wongsuwan also told AFP the suspect is known to speak some English.

Other members of the gang are now being sought while DNA samples are being taken from the suspect, police spokesman Prawut added.

- Manhunt -

===========

For days Thai police have been searching for a network believed to be behind the Erawan shrine attack and another blast the following day beside a busy commuter river pier that caused no injuries.

The investigation has focused on a prime suspect, described as a foreign man, who was captured on security footage wearing a yellow T-shirt and leaving a bag at the shrine moments before the blast.

But authorities have not yet said whether they believe the suspect now detained is the same as the man in the video footage.

Udomdej told AFP he believed the arrested man was "absolutely involved with the bombs", adding that he "looked like" the suspect seen in CCTV footage.

"But I will not determine whether he is the bomber or not," he added.

Mystery has surrounded the unprecedented bomb blast, for which no group has claimed responsibility.

Potential perpetrators named by the police and experts have included international jihadists, members of Thailand’s southern Malay-Muslim insurgency, militants on both sides of the country’s festering political divide or someone with a personal grudge.

In recent days speculation has grown over involvement by China’s ethnic Uighur Muslim minority -- or their co-religious sympathisers -- following Thailand’s forced repatriation of more than 100 Uighur refugees last month to an uncertain fate in China.

The sudden repatriation of the Turkic-speaking group, among dozens detained in the kingdom for illegal entry last year after presenting themselves to police as Turkish, triggered fury in Istanbul with Bangkok’s consulate there stormed by protesters.

That speculation was further inflamed by the discovery of the apparent Turkish passports at the suspect’s flat.

But Defence Minister Prawit hit out at that speculation and called on both the media and Thais to be patient.

"Don’t talk about Turkish or not Turkish," he told AFP. "We have to investigate."

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Thai-army-chief-says-Bangkok-bomb-suspect-uncooper-30267753.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-08-30

it is sure he is muslum and this is relate to a terrorist attack.

Great work associating a bomb with an act of terror! And how do you know he is Muslim?

Why also is this article still throwing around words like Arab? didn't we get told to stop reading International news on account of misinformation?

He doesn't look at all like an Arab.

"We have to conduct further interrogations and make him better understand so he will be more cooperative -- while we have to be careful not to violate the suspect’s rights," he added.

Yes, careful now, easy to misquote that statement..........

and that the bomb attack was retaliation for a recent crackdown by Thai authorities.

"They (the gang) are unsatisfied with police arresting illegal entrants," he told Channel 3 in a telephone interview without elaborating how investigators knew this.

If that translation is correct to English, that is the most convoluted theory I have ever heard for the motive for a mass terror killing.

Please note down many Turkish people doing such things in many country .. Even my country looking for two Turkish man who came to country after no one know where they gone . My country high alert to nation wide find two Turkish man .. Please be careful with Turkish nationality people

Please note down many Turkish people doing such things in many country .. Even my country looking for two Turkish man who came to country after no one know where they gone . My country high alert to nation wide find two Turkish man .. Please be careful with Turkish nationality people

Relax mate, we just run kebab shops and thats it. Turks don't do any harm.

isn't this almost close to nationality/racial profiling?

because of the recent uighur problems, so the perpertrator must be turkish?

well done RTP, you never fail to make us laugh at the idiocy of the leaders there.

By comparing the photo description, if it was even true, the guy who was caught doesn't really look like the sketch; even the eyebrows, nose and eyes are different!

or are sex tourist

Turks don't do any harm eh ?.... bet there are a few Armenian's kicking about who might disagree with your statement

or are sex tourist

Turks don't do any harm eh ?.... bet there are a few Armenian's kicking about who might disagree with your statement

I'm not gonna comment on this as it will spur a political debate and will lead to this topic being derailed. If you wanna debate about the Armenian matter in another platform I'm all ears.

or are sex tourist

I'm not gonna comment on this as it will spur a political debate and will lead to this topic being derailed. If you wanna debate about the Armenian matter in another platform I'm all ears.

I have no wish to debate that topic either, just a response to your definitive statement that's all...

it is sure he is muslum and this is relate to a terrorist attack.

Great work associating a bomb with an act of terror! And how do you know he is Muslim?

Why also is this article still throwing around words like Arab? didn't we get told to stop reading International news on account of misinformation?

He doesn't look at all like an Arab.

He doesn't have to be an Arab to be helping the Arabs, he doesn't have to be "Muslim" to be helping the Muslims...

In fact he/they don't have to belong to any ethnic minority to help another minority!!

He/they might not even be domestic or international terrorists!!

He/they could be "pissed-off Thai people smugglers" who are out of pocket ??

At this stage of the investigation you count everything "in" and count "nothing" out !!

Hung drawn and hanged,you all know he is guilty already,just the the two who are up for murder which they never done,i love it on here cant wait to down a man,alright he had several passports same as a lot here.lets just see what happens he probally come through Calaise on the way here.

"police announced he was part of a people-smuggling gang."

There is a lot not being revealed by the police and it may not from being clever.

If this person is involved in human trafficking, that might explain all the fake passports.

It would not explain why he would want to risk calling attention to himself by bombing the Shrine and killing people. Particularly in an area somewhat close to his own operations. He is allegedly conducting a business that requires secrecy, local and international access. A bombing suspect would be expected to either immediately leave the area or go "dark." Both actions would destroy a human trafficking operation.

I suspect a paid informant told the police of this person having heard the police declare that the bomber was probably Turkish. Someone who knew this person was involved in human trafficking using fake Turkish passports. I further suspect that the informant might be part of the smuggling gang looking not only for a reward but also to take over the gang (with blessing of the police).

So unless the accused makes a voluntary confession that seems to be the focus of every RTP interrogation, the police are going to have find the evidence linking this person to the bombing. Hopefully Prayut will withhold his rewards to the police until the case is solid.

PS: Human trafficking operators have been known to booby-trap their camps.

What if someone who knew the guy planted those ball bearings in his house and called the police to grab the 3 million baht reward? I'm not usually a believer of conspirancy theories but this one makes sense. He probably was a human smuggler and not a bomber. Heck maybe he planted the ball bearing himself and got his accomplice to report him in order to collect the prize money :D He'll probably tell the truth after his accomplice gets the money.

Isn't it possible that authorities have arrested somebody with a vague resemblance and are now trying to confuse matters a little in order to buy themselves some more time?

Not when they have physical evidence that the guy was up to no good, dodgy passports, bomb making materials etc. if the pictures are to be believed... lets face it, even without the actual explosives, having pieces of threaded pipe/caps, ball bearings and fuses made out of what looks like "det core" all in the same place, the only thing they could be used for is making some form of explosive device, "circumstantial" I know, but we can certainly conclude he is not a Polish pipe fitter or plumber...

I reckon this is due to the massive crackdown on crime a few days ago....during such raids cops lean heavily on gangs and such....and someone obviously found this a convenient way to remove an enemy.

Pure speculation i know, but truth takes a long time to emerge and is usually boring.