Non Immigrant multiple entry 1 year 'O' visa.

Hi all, Being a regular reader of all your posts I am hoping you can give me some clarification on the Multiple Entry visa but brief background first. I have been a regular visitor to Thailand for over 15 years, firstly on a 30 day on arrival visa and then 60 day visa as work in the UK permitted. Earlier this year I came out on a 90 day Non immigrant 'O' visa, having now reached retirement, leaving Thailand after 89 days so no problems and never prior had an overstay. I am now looking to come back out on a 1 year multiple entry Non Immigrant 'O' visa from the embassy in London which, in itself, shouldn't be a problem. However, as I have some business interests in Spain and occasionally get asked to do some contract work back in the UK for a few weeks I need the flexibility to travel back and forth and don't want the hassle (& expense) of getting a new visa every time especially as I can't plan ahead on dates.

My question is this: With this Visa when I first arrive presumably I will get an 'Admitted until' date stamp in my passport for 12 months hence. If I then leave after, say, 4 months and then return after 2 months away do the 2 months absence get added on to the final departure date? In other words,for example, I arrive November 1st 2015 and admitted until October 31st 2016. I then leave Thailand on February 1st 2016 returning April 1st 2016 (2 months later) will I then be admitted until December 31st 2016 (adding the 2 months absence on) or will it still be October 31st 2016.

Any advice and clarification will be much appreciated - Thanks in advance.

Singhaman.

There are two types of visa you can get based on retirement. 'O' and 'O-A'. Both can be multi entry.

The 'O' gives 90 day stays. The 'O-A' gives 1 year stays.

When you apply for either they will be valid for 12 months from the date of issue so don't apply too early. The visa will have an 'enter before' date. You can come and go as often as you want before that date. You can stay out of the country as long as you want but the visa expires on the 'enter before date. No time is ever added to the expiry date of the visa.

If you enter on the last day before the expiry date you will be given 90 ('O') or 1 year ('O-A')stays.

If you can get an 'O-A' thats the best option. If utilised fully it can give you about 2 years. The 'O' will give you about 15 months and you are forced to exit every 90 days.

Hi Guys, thanks for the responses. Firstly yes I am in receipt of UK state pension and 65+ so yes I qualify for the 12 month O visa. I got the 3 month Single entry O the same way in Jan. Now my confusion. My 'O' visa was issued on 5th Jan 2015 and 'enter before 4 April 2015'. I entered on 18 Jan and Admitted until 17 April 2015 - 90 Days from the date of entry, not date of issue and the visa was then stamped USED. (I departed 16 April.)

Based on this I expected that the 12 month O visa would be the same, ie date of issue (academic) and an 'enter before' date. Then once I entered Thailand I would be 'Admitted until' 12 months from date of entry stamped in my passport. Based on this does this mean I can travel in and out of Thailand at will during this 12 month period by just showing my passport?

I hope this makes sense and welcome your comments.

Thanks.

If you arrive with a 12 month multiple entry non "O" visa you will receive a "permission to stay " of 90 days.

Every 90 days you must leave Thailand, enter another country and then return to be given another 90 day stay.

This is repeated at will whilst the visa is valid and there is no requirement for you to stay for the whole 90 days,

Leaving and returning just before the visa expires gives a further 90 days making almost 15 months stay possible from the visa.

Hi Guys, thanks for the responses. Firstly yes I am in receipt of UK state pension and 65+ so yes I qualify for the 12 month O visa. I got the 3 month Single entry O the same way in Jan. Now my confusion. My 'O' visa was issued on 5th Jan 2015 and 'enter before 4 April 2015'. I entered on 18 Jan and Admitted until 17 April 2015 - 90 Days from the date of entry, not date of issue and the visa was then stamped USED. (I departed 16 April.)

Based on this I expected that the 12 month O visa would be the same, ie date of issue (academic) and an 'enter before' date. Then once I entered Thailand I would be 'Admitted until' 12 months from date of entry stamped in my passport. Based on this does this mean I can travel in and out of Thailand at will during this 12 month period by just showing my passport?

Thanks.

Short answer is yes but if you want the 12 month visa its an 'O-A'.

Long answer. An 'O-A' is valid for 12 months from the date of issue so the date of issue is important as it determines the 'enter before' date. With this visa you can travel in and out as often as you want before the 'enter before' date. Every time you enter you'll be given 12 months. Even if you enter the day before the 'enter before' date you'll be given 12 months. So its possible to stay nearly two years.

If you enter just before the 'enter before' date and are admitted for 12 months your visa will expire so the multi entries cease. However, you can buy a multi re-entry permit for 3,800 baht which will allow you to continue traveling in and out until the 'admitted until' date. A re-entry permit is important because if you exit during this time without a re-entry permit any remaining stay of the 12 months will be lost. Single re-entry permits are also available for 1,000 baht per re-entry.

Example.

Visa issued 4/10/15

Enter before 3/10/16

Enter on 20/10/15

Admitted until 19/10/16

Exit and enter as often as you want until 2/10/16.

Exit and re-enter on 2/10/16 latest.

Admitted until 1/10/17

Visa expires 3/10/16

Buy a multi entry re-entry permit valid until 1/10/17

Exit and enter as often as you want until 1/10/17 at which point you need to exit and get a new visa or apply for an extension of stay.

Edited by elviajero

Thanks.

Short answer is yes but if you want the 12 month visa its an 'O-A'.

Long answer. An 'O-A' is valid for 12 months from the date of issue so the date of issue is important as it determines the 'enter before' date. With this visa you can travel in and out as often as you want before the 'enter before' date. Every time you enter you'll be given 12 months. Even if you enter the day before the 'enter before' date you'll be given 12 months. So its possible to stay nearly two years.

If you enter just before the 'enter before' date and are admitted for 12 months your visa will expire so the multi entries cease. However, you can buy a multi re-entry permit for 3,800 baht which will allow you to continue traveling in and out until the 'admitted until' date. A re-entry permit is important because if you exit during this time without a re-entry permit any remaining stay of the 12 months will be lost. Single re-entry permits are also available for 1,000 baht per re-entry.

Example.

Visa issued 4/10/15

Enter before 3/10/16

Enter on 20/10/15

Admitted until 19/10/16

Exit and enter as often as you want until 2/10/16.

Exit and re-enter on 2/10/16 latest.

Admitted until 1/10/17

Visa expires 3/10/16

Buy a multi entry re-entry permit valid until 1/10/17

Exit and enter as often as you want until 1/10/17 at which point you need to exit and get a new visa or apply for an extension of stay.

A 12 month, multiple entry, "O" visa can be obtained by UK citizens who are in receipt of an old age pension.

Thanks.

A 12 month, multiple entry, "O" visa can be obtained by UK citizens who are in receipt of an old age pension.

Yes but I assumed the OP was talking about the O-A because he said "I would be 'Admitted until' 12 months from date of entry stamped in my passport.

OP if I misunderstood and you were referring to a 12 month 'O' then please ignore my post. nowretired has given you the right information for that.

• Like 1

For maximum flexibility I would suggest the Thai Elite Visa. Pretty much come and go as you please as many times as you please with no advance planning needed. If working, perhaps some sort of consideration can be made by your company for partial reimbursement of the Visa expense. And if your company doesn't do that, or kick in something, then I would think as a business expense you could deduct part of the cost of the visa, although I am not familiar with UK taxes.

Many thanks all & I do appreciate your help and advice! Now I understand it and yes I am applying for a Multi entry 'O' visa under the UK state pension rules. One last question (I promise!) can I leave and reenter on the same day or must every exit and reenter involve, at minimum, an overnight stay away? I ask this as sometimes we (Thai g/f and her family) have day trips to Mae Sai and Mae Sot. Thank you.

Many thanks all & I do appreciate your help and advice! Now I understand it and yes I am applying for a Multi entry 'O' visa under the UK state pension rules. One last question (I promise!) can I leave and reenter on the same day or must every exit and reenter involve, at minimum, an overnight stay away? I ask this as sometimes we (Thai g/f and her family) have day trips to Mae Sai and Mae Sot. Thank you.

Out and back on the same day if you wish or spend a few days "abroad"............ entirely your choice.