Is it ok for your girlfriend to call you farang to her friends?

It is quite normal for "The Farang" to be referred to in the third party context by family and friends.

I disagree, I have never been present where I have been referred to as "the Farang"

Is your wife Thai or Farang? Is your husband Thai or Farang? You have a problem with either of those statements?

and to add to that , Sp refers to his wife as the Mrs. How rude does she not have a name. Whilst here , my wife refers to me as the ferlung if we are in the company of new folk who do not know my name ,after that I get called Few which is close enough.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My girlfriend and I had a little agruement and her friend phoned her and she mentioned me as farang not her boyfriend? Do u think I'm over reacting by going over the top about this?

I am the same as you I not like it at all tell her you not like it and if she not stop it piss her off and get a new one not as if she is the only lady in thailand not sure how long you have been coming here but Thais are like a mangos on a mango three if you not want that one you have go to a Mago three and get a new cheers

When I first came to Thailand, about 8 years ago, I didn't feel comfortable when they called me farang....Now I 'm proud if they do...

As I recall I was "affectionately" called farang Trans, when they got used to the Trans name they then all called me Trans...or hansum Trans.....giggle.gif

Your full of it today mate....cheesy.gif

My girlfriend and I had a little agruement and her friend phoned her and she mentioned me as farang not her boyfriend? Do u think I'm over reacting by going over the top about this?

I am the same as you I not like it at all tell her you not like it and if she not stop it piss her off and get a new one not as if she is the only lady in thailand not sure how long you have been coming here but Thais are like a mangos on a mango three if you not want that one you have go to a Mago three and get a new cheers

You talk about how Thai women are interchangeable and replaceable, and yet get upset when they generalise you by race?

My wife refers To me as leung X . Same as the other viĺlager that i am close. But her father Who kind of like me use farang in front of me To talk about me. As well as many Kids of the village.

And when m'y wife upset you can be sûre à one moment or other se Will blatter farang farang

Just thai style nothing To worry about for me i am farang and kind of proud

She calls you Leung?? That's downright creepy.

You talk about how Thai women are interchangeable and replaceable, and yet get upset when they generalise you by race?

Could be worse, he could have been a "Chocolate Man"

My wife has never used Farang to refer to me, except jokingly in private.

"...never ... except..." Do you lose sleep wondering if she ever uses it when are not around to hear?

She has also made it clear to relatives that I have a name that is to be used when addressing/referring to me.

I guess she wants to save the embarrassment of her farang going postal on the rels. That's YOUR embarrassment BTW.

We were once stopped at a checkpoint on the way to Ubon and her nephew told the policeman that he was taking the Farang to the airport. He will never make that mistake again.

Priceless! What did you do? Have the nephew struck off the Will? Capped and dropped in the roadside ditch?

What if the cop had asked, "Who's the farang?"

Absolutely right ! If my wife was driving me to C/Rai airport and the local DEA plod stopped us I would expect my wife to say she was " Taking ferlung to the airport " There is no ambiguity . If she said taking my husband khun Phil or any other mash of words ....... " how long you been married to ferlung " etc. BTW I have never heard a Thai utter Farang . Read my lips f e r l u n g !

Absolutely right ! If my wife was driving me to C/Rai airport and the local DEA plod stopped us I would expect my wife to say she was " Taking ferlung to the airport " There is no ambiguity . If she said taking my husband khun Phil or any other mash of words ....... " how long you been married to ferlung " etc. BTW I have never heard a Thai utter Farang . Read my lips f e r l u n g !

And now we enter another classic long-running Thaivisa conversation - which transliterated approximation of a Thai word do you prefer?

why not, if you are not Thai then you are a "farang" = foreigner, but as mentioned above it depends on tone and context. I could call you a name but uness you heard the tone and know the context you wouldnt know if it was in fun, an endearment or an insult.

NO! "farang" does not = foreigner, it means Caucasian.

The Japanese are not farang, the Lao are not farang, and the oriental "asians" like Connie Chung that are 100% American are not farang either.

Farang = Caucasian and yes it's racist but racism is accepted here in Thailand by the Thais, just don't do it to them.

I tell you one thing, if my GF refer to me as farang with her friends I will kick her ass out the door as your then only good as a ATM.

My GF understand the negative logic around it and will never dare to do this. This is why every single person on earth have a birth name.....and farang is just not one of them.

So you force your Western logic on a Thai bird in Thailand..Hmmmmmm.

It you are English and I refer to you as British is that wrong. ?

I have never and will never force anything on anyone but there is something called mutual respect and calling a Expat in Thailand farang is not one of these... All Expats in Thailand knows exactly what Thais think of a foreigner they call Farang....or maybe you have been here too long and lost your true identity.

And no, I'm not British.....but would it be a problem if I was ? At lease most of them are still proud of their heritage and know where they come from and who they are.

You are taking a tour to a place that only lets in Thai people. The person on the phone asks your wife/GF is your husband Thai or Farang.

Yes that happens, maybe that is the pricing structure....... I always booked flights under my wife's name, found it to be much cheaper..... cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

why not, if you are not Thai then you are a "farang" = foreigner, but as mentioned above it depends on tone and context. I could call you a name but uness you heard the tone and know the context you wouldnt know if it was in fun, an endearment or an insult.

The Japanese are not farang, the Lao are not farang, and the oriental "asians" like Connie Chung that are 100% American are not farang either.

Farang = Caucasian and yes it's racist but racism is accepted here in Thailand by the Thais, just don't do it to them.

Merely using a word to refer to someone's race does not constitute racism.

I agree with SoiBiker. If that is how you feel about/treat Thai women, it wouldn't be surprising if they referred to you in some derogatory manner. You should treat others how you would like to be treated yourself. With this misogynistic attitude displayed by so many posters, it is no wonder why we are all painted with the same brush by some.

I pity all the thinned skin over sensitive foreigners living in Thailand and take exception to being called Farang, it is a every day Thai word that all Thai people use, I have never known a Thai that does not use the word Farang, Thai people living in Australia call Australians Farang, I know because I owned two Thai restaurants at different times in Australia with all Thai staff, my mate in Australia gets call a bloody old baldy Farang by his Thai wife, I introduced them to each other, I wont tell you want he calls her can not be printed here, but they are very happy together, I would advise all the thin skinned Farangs that are not Aussie living here to never go to northern Queensland, they would really get upset twisted bent out of shape there if they don't like what they get called.

No its rude and ignorant and racist.

My wife is both Thai, well educated and loves Thai history.

Her explanation of the Farang word (pronounced Fulung) first was used in reference to the French simply because Thais could not pronounce Foreigner. She says it is similar to the way in which Foreigners have never been able to pronounce Bangkok correctly.

She says of course in can be used out of context not unlike most words.

Fortunately Foreigners who choose to take offence to it have the option of returning to their homeland to find inner peace and harmony.

Its only offensive if you think it is.

Next time in discussion call her Asian.

Personally I have heard reference to myself as farang by outside family friends (so what, does not bother me) Normally family and close friends refer to me by my first name.

Can I ask how long you have been together? this also plays a part in how you are addressed.

I would take it as an insult but in their minds its how they have been brought up, to HATE foreigners because we ask questions and say no when things are not right, thats why we are not allowed any rights there as this would ensure the elite's bank accounts are fully drained and given to the people it was stolen from but the common idiot is too stupid to do anything about this thinking this is the best way to live in the "Happiness State"

As per Robertson's Practical English-Thai Dictionary,, Farang Foreigner, Chao Thang Chaat, Westerner , European, occidental = Farang

I will go with the Dictionary not the self appointed TV experts .

Can't understand why anyone would be worried, unless of course as indicated previously, there was a Thai Expletive, preceding the word, Farang.

Some people are sure, Thin Skinned !

Nothing to do with been thinned skin, it's about perceived respect within the relationship, does he have it or does he not?

Absolutely. if you have no respect for yourself and don't mind being referred to in this manner by your own wife, is anybody ever going to hold respect for you.

Would she like you referring to her as "the Thai"...when talking about her with your relatives and friends at home in your own country?

That Farang is taller and more handsome than most Thai men.