SKYPE hack scams

tassieman

Last week I received 3 text messages from +47 country code numbers. The texts were -- word for word -- identical to very recent SKYPE messages between me and my Thai GF (with whom on VERY shaky ground at moment, it has to be said). When I texted her number back to see what was going on, my message log showed the same number (+47....). Has anyone any idea what might be going on here? Best case scenario: her phone has been hacked and its some sort of "call back" scam. Worst case....well the mind boggles (again!). She says she has no idea what's going on, but it reinforces my long held suspicions that at times there has been someone conducting our Skype conversations...has anyone heard of similar "proxy" services operating in Thailand? Thnx in advance.

(images removed, too big, not clear.)

I've had my Skype hacked twice, once by an ex, helped by a jealous IT guy from singapore who had a crush on her. That was quite disturbing to say the least

Skype customer service are really unhelpful too. The best they could do was give me the country of origin of the hack.

Had SKYPE for many years. A combination of problems eg people trying to scam; some of unknown intent; poor reception (cannot hear). I flicked it. Now, pay a little - many options out there (I use TRUE). Problems have disappeared completely!

Is it possible that she has logged in from a new device (i.e. a new Phone) and that the number you saw is her 'new' number on her 'new device' in Norway?

Are you sure of her location ?

Thanks Richard; yes, did consider this but given 3 texts from 3 different +47 phones in under an hour led me more towards some sort of call back scam? It was that the texts contained precise content from our SKYPE? Maybe her phone provider in Thailand was re-routing texts/calls? And, I still suspect she has some sort of "proxy" SKYPE service whereby someone else handles the conversations when she is "busy".

Anyway, this has all been the last straw for me and so have ended the relationship. I figure I can get just about exactly the same "deal" with the girl-next-door (lying, cheating, grief, anxiety, confusion and hassle) albeit minus that special female Thai-ness...oh well, ya can't have everything lol, cheers.

Last week I received 3 text messages from +47 country code numbers. The texts were -- word for word -- identical to very recent SKYPE messages between me and my Thai GF (with whom on VERY shaky ground at moment, it has to be said). When I texted her number back to see what was going on, my message log showed the same number (+47....). Has anyone any idea what might be going on here? Best case scenario: her phone has been hacked and its some sort of "call back" scam. Worst case....well the mind boggles (again!). She says she has no idea what's going on, but it reinforces my long held suspicions that at times there has been someone conducting our Skype conversations...has anyone heard of similar "proxy" services operating in Thailand? Thnx in advance.

What is the number? did you change your skype password?

Do you have a skype number? you might be getting an SMS to that skype account/number

Are you hinting at the device has already communicated to that number before? if so why are you not hassling your mrs? lol if it was me I would ring it becuase I am nosey but hey I get some random calls sometimes I would not worry about it too much mate.

Edited by ryanhull

What is the number? did you change your skype password?

Do you have a skype number? you might be getting an SMS to that skype account/number

Are you hinting at the device has already communicated to that number before? if so why are you not hassling your mrs? lol if it was me I would ring it becuase I am nosey but hey I get some random calls sometimes I would not worry about it too much mate.

Thanks Ryan....the SMS texts to my MOBILE in Australia came from three +47 numbers all bearing messages that were identical to SKYPE messages my missus and I had recently exchanged. When I texted her usual number to let her know and ask what was going on, in my message log it showed her number as being one of the +47 numbers...it's as though her phone/account had been "taken over" temporarily...it switched back later.

> if so why are you not hassling your mrs?

Certainly HASSLING the GF...and got this in response lol: "I don't f************ know anything about that number...."

>I would not worry about it too much mate.

Maybe not, just been part of a pattern of "interference" recently which has seen me in contact with Australian police about the possibility of being groomed/scammed etc by my "beloved" or whoever "might" be controlling her. This incident was pretty much the last straw. Thanks again anyway for the response, MP

OP here...last ask of some of the more tech-minded here....ALL the mobile text and vox communication with my GF in Thailand show up DIFFERENT + 46 numbers (got the +47 wrong last posts due to a bit of a pinky drinky lol). Anyway, the situation remains the same. Don't think she is in Sweden with several new SIMs/numbers...just doesn't make sense. It might well be that her phone has been "hijacked" and calls re-routed to try and glean credit card/banking details OR siphon off credit.

I have an old NOKIA "brick"...no smart phone yet...question I wanna ask of those who do have relatively advanced mobiles (iphones/android etc)...is it possible to fix the settings on message and vox out from your phone so that you can change at will the "caller identity" for the receiver? Hope that makes sense smile.png.

In other words, can you dictate what user i.d or NUMBER appears on the vox/text receiver's device?

PS: I have tried to call one of the numbers and I get a "number doesn't exist" message!

thanx again, Tassieman

Edited by tassieman

And this is what my GF says of the "mystery":

"I just phone to dtac call center and asked them about what is happening with my phone. She was explained to me about the dtac sistem!!! Every my messages from Thailand to you it have through or pass to call center of Sweden first. And could be different number when I send the message to you. So if you want to make sure what is mean you can ask to the dtac call center in thailand by yourself ok? This is number of dtac call center 1678 or you can ask your friend in Thailand phone to them directly"

HAS ANYONE HEARD OF THIS?

And this is what my GF says of the "mystery":

"I just phone to dtac call center and asked them about what is happening with my phone. She was explained to me about the dtac sistem!!! Every my messages from Thailand to you it have through or pass to call center of Sweden first. And could be different number when I send the message to you. So if you want to make sure what is mean you can ask to the dtac call center in thailand by yourself ok? This is number of dtac call center 1678 or you can ask your friend in Thailand phone to them directly"

HAS ANYONE HEARD OF THIS?

It sounds like bullshit to be honest

Dtac route their international calls through a Swedish number?? Lol

And she give you a non geographical number you can't call to check it....doesn't look good

Lately I have gotten three emails, supposedly from Skype saying my account has been compromised. Now I haven't used Skype in over 5 years, and even when I did sign up I never paid or submitted any credit card information. So not sure the Skype emails are for real, and not sure that I care if they are or are not.

DTAC is owned by Telnor, which is owned by the Government of Norway. So maybe it is possible Skype routes through Nordic countries.

I think it is very possible your GF is not to be blamed.

I thought they were sms messages from dtac Thailand, if they're Skype messages from a Skype out number, they could be from almost anywhere in the world

OP here: Thanks guys, again really appreciate the insights...yes, Pakaty, you be right about TELNOR (I did a bit of digging also...thanks muchly though for this).

>I thought they were sms messages from dtac Thailand

Yes, again Speedtripler, they have all been sms texts out of Thailand...message log shows all different numbers +46 etc...it's pretty "banal" on one level, but I don't know why (after 18 months of communique with GF), this should happen now.... anyway, as soon as it started, I did a big security overhaul of my accounts etc and cancelled my GFs ticket to visit OZ this month. Maybe an over reaction lol BUT, she says she is pretty well off and so she can pay for the ticket if she really wants to visit (and I have offered to refund the ticket cost on her arrival, anyway). The "game" goes on... thanks again to responders. MP

A few thoughts. Did she send you the SMS from her phone or used the DTAC internet site? If the Internet site, then numbers can be random and it would make sense if they send it through Telnor. Same for Skype. If she sends you an SMS with Skype, the number could be from anywhere in the world. Only if she writes it directly from her phone, then the number should be always the same. Namely her phone number.