Set up for using gmail offline, Firefox browser, windows 10

scorecard

What Mozilla FireFox Extension are you trying to use to facilitate this?

Thanks for your response.

To be honest I am not a tech person at all. Can you please give a quick explanation of 'what Mozilla FireFox extension...' and where do I find that information.

Thanks.

You wrote that you were trying to use Google Gmail 'offline', using Mozilla's FireFox Browser on Windows 10.

Further, you wrote, "the first screen is in Thai language and I can't find a way to change it to English".

So a basic question is, how are/were you doing this? What are you doing in FireFox Browser that says you can use Gmail 'offline'?

Normally, a Web Browser is always used while 'online', as most of the content a person wants to reference is also 'online'.

Technically, a Web Browser can display any content designed for it, and that content can be stored 'locally' for reference even if 'offline'.

So for you to be able to read a Gmail account 'offline', select contents of that account must be copied to local memory (usually stored as a cache file).

The Android Gmail app does this by design (but it technically isn't a web browser).

Alternatively you can download and install separate email applications that work with IMAP that will do a similar function to the Android Gmail app, storing large sections of your Gmail account on your local device so you can read it while 'offline, and then 'synchronize' the contents when once again connected online.

GOOGLE has written code for Google's Chrome Browser that gives that browser similar function/capabilities for reading Gmail 'offline'. But it is only available for Chrome Browser.

A 'similar' program may have been written by a 3rd-party for Mozilla FireFox, at it may work, but that wouldn't be supported by Google.

A "Browser Extension" or "Add-On" is special code you can download to extend the functionality of your Web Browser. Usually these 'Extensions' can be sought out and downloaded from within the browser itself. In FireFox, open (Setting Menu) / Add-Ons then look at Add-Ons or Extensions to see what other features or capabilities you can add to your Browser.

FWIW I use Microsoft Outlook which delivers the gmail emails and stores them in its own database. Outlook does a regular send/receive and I just send/receive emails as normal. It required me to look up how to set up an imap rather than pop3 account but it sure wasn't difficult.

Cheers.

You wrote that you were trying to use Google Gmail 'offline', using Mozilla's FireFox Browser on Windows 10.

Further, you wrote, "the first screen is in Thai language and I can't find a way to change it to English".

So a basic question is, how are/were you doing this? What are you doing in FireFox Browser that says you can use Gmail 'offline'?

Normally, a Web Browser is always used while 'online', as most of the content a person wants to reference is also 'online'.

Technically, a Web Browser can display any content designed for it, and that content can be stored 'locally' for reference even if 'offline'.

So for you to be able to read a Gmail account 'offline', select contents of that account must be copied to local memory (usually stored as a cache file).

The Android Gmail app does this by design (but it technically isn't a web browser).

Alternatively you can download and install separate email applications that work with IMAP that will do a similar function to the Android Gmail app, storing large sections of your Gmail account on your local device so you can read it while 'offline, and then 'synchronize' the contents when once again connected online.

GOOGLE has written code for Google's Chrome Browser that gives that browser similar function/capabilities for reading Gmail 'offline'. But it is only available for Chrome Browser.

A 'similar' program may have been written by a 3rd-party for Mozilla FireFox, at it may work, but that wouldn't be supported by Google.

A "Browser Extension" or "Add-On" is special code you can download to extend the functionality of your Web Browser. Usually these 'Extensions' can be sought out and downloaded from within the browser itself. In FireFox, open (Setting Menu) / Add-Ons then look at Add-Ons or Extensions to see what other features or capabilities you can add to your Browser.

Thank you, my overall knowledge about this just jumped 4 levels at least.

To be honest I've been avoiding Chrome and using Firefox because several techies have mentioned that searching etc., with Chrome means that the browser, in some / many scenarios / subject areas, selects and lists web sites / addresses which are good business for Chrome and deliberately ignores / doesn't list search findings which are not good business for Chrome.

Can I please have some comments / opinions on this.

Thanks.

I'm located in Chiang Mai. Any CM TV members know of a store / repair man etc., who could download / set this up for me? For a fee of course.

Thanks.

<...>

... I've been avoiding Chrome and using Firefox because several techies have mentioned that searching etc., with Chrome means that the browser, in some / many scenarios / subject areas, selects and lists web sites / addresses which are good business for Chrome and deliberately ignores / doesn't list search findings which are not good business for Chrome.

Can I please have some comments / opinions on this.

Thanks.

Google Chrome (the Browser), no. Google (the Search Engine), YES. But this 'ranking' occurs with all search engines.

Though, you should run a test for yourself to 'test' this techie's statement.

Open Chrome and FireFox, maybe even Opera or some other third Browser.

In each, open the same url to a search engine. Enter a Query. Compare the 'results'.

I believe you'll find while the page may look slightly different in appearance the returned 'results' will be exactly the same in each browser..

<...>

I'm located in Chiang Mai. Any CM TV members know of a store / repair man etc., who could download / set this up for me? For a fee of course.

Thanks.

Win10 comes with free Mail app, that lets you view Google Mail offline? Personally I prefer MS Outlook, but some may find Mail meets their needs.

THIS, or something like THIS, would be your best option.

There are many, many PC Desktop Client applications that will work with Google's Gmail (via IMAP) that simply and easily gives you access to your Gmail account.

So, eM Client, Mozilla's Thunderbird, Microsoft's Outlook, ...

Some articles talking them up:

PCWorld | Rick Broida | Feb 11, 2013
If you're looking for user-friendly, Gmail-friendly email desktop client, look no further than any one of these free apps.
TechRepublic | by Jack Wallen | November 15, 2013

Archived