Sin Sot

dgoz

yes, i was very lucky to marry into a great family with a great wife .... baby due in six weeks too :o

i only explain what happened to me as means of information for other members to evaluate. obviously other people's circumstances will be different.

i just don't want people to think

a) sin sot has to be paid as it is a cast iron tradition

:D if you marry a relatively well-off girl then sin sot isn't always an issue

c) just because a thai person tells you something that benefits them, it doesnt make it true!

Well said - drop me a PM, always like to get to know other ex-pats who are now "Thai". Iam not in the bright lights enviroment but very much out in the sticks in Loei where I have lived on my farm with wife and kids since the early 1990's

Tim

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

just my two cents input without a specific reference. it seems that quite a number of you chaps resent the locals or think the locals resent your presence. i have settled in Thailand since a year and a half after visiting the country [nearly] countless times in the last quarter century. of course i am p*ssed off too quite often but i am not trying to make any comparisons with my home country Germany or any other country i have lived.

what would be interesting for me to know is "what are the positive sides of Thailand which make you accept the negative sides?"

i've said it before on this forum but when i sat around the table with my future in-laws and the subject of sinsod came up, my mother in law said ''no, we don't want it, we are not isaan''.

my wife is from chiang rai, just out of uni, mum is a teacher and dad a professional soldier. as middle class as you can get.

I don't have a wife but,my girlfriends Brother paid a sin Sot to a girl from Lampang, that is also not in Isaan and he and she are both Thai, both well educated , was he scammed by a devious bitch from the North? Or is it what Thai's do?

As did her sisters husband who also paid a sinsot, ( he is educated from Bangkok with a good job ).

I really need the expertise from a couple of Farangs on this point, as obviously these guys are only Thai and don't understand Thai ways like Farangs do.

I wanna be able to tell these Thai guys that according to a couple of farangs on an anonymous internet forum, they are being conned.

I'm sure they will realise their mistakes as soon as I inform them that the great Farang has opinionated on the matter. :o

Soju, these guys don't really mean it, they just post this krap for the desired effect, just like it worked on you.

Most of the Bozos on here would probably struggle to pay for their Fan room each month, let alone pay a sin sot.

These threads always bring out the best in our honoured members. :D

Seems you regard those who don't pay as a bit "tight" with money... others would say "smart".

Well I guess if you guys are happy paying hundreds of thousands of baht for your ex bar girl wife... more fool you.

all i would like to say on this matter is,

i cant for the life of me understand why anybody would pay sin sod for a ex bar girl ? :D

i just find it amazing and can never understand it.

i mean really guys,

all the guys that the ex bar girl has sleep'ed with, she has been collected sin sot every day at work and now the cat thats going to marry her is going to pay again. :D

its just insane and is beyond my comprehension.

i mean the bar girls are a dime a dozen but the good thai girls arn't so easy to find.

one must have some contacts to meet the good thai girls as you will never find one in a bar.

i dont mean to offend any person with my comments but its just my take on things.

cheers :o

An Isaani farm girl? Why?? Do you just want someone to boss around and have sex with? The novelty will soon wear off :o

Going rate has been 100,000 for a few years now. That's big bucks to an Isaani farmer. But then again ... he'd sell his granny for 20 baht if someone offered :D Middle classes expect 300,000 + As for the Thai rich ... wouldn't touch a farang for any kind of money ... mostly!

Must disagree with you - a rich Thai would not touch a farang.

What absolute rubbish - and the prices you quote show how little you know about this country and its traditions.

I am married to a Thai girl that comes from a rich Thai family, who is Uni educated (both Thailand and America), whose parents are senior civil servants blah blah ect ect ...... and 20 years when I joked with her dad about having to pay to marry her, he replied in perfect English,

"thats what you do when you marry a hooker from Phuket"

Think about it - I'll leave it at that.

Tim

I totally agree. My gf also comes from a well-to-do family, the response I got when talking to her parents where along exactly the same lines.

Sorry if I come across as being rude, but what a bunch of snobbish parents-in-law you have. Looking down on poorer people than they are and equating their custom to being a hooker. I feel sorry for anyone that has parents-in-law that think like that. Not to mention that the sinsod is very much a part of many high-so marriages. Some people expect the sinsod and some don't. It's as simple as that. Of course some people expecting it only do so out of greed, but many others do so for other reasons. Some hookers may want a sinsod, but in general it's common knowledge that a hooker should not be expecting any sort of sinsod. I personally would take comments such as what came out of your parents-in-law's mouths to be something I'd expect from a bigoted low-class, uneducated individual. Sorry if I'm being offensive, but I gave a sinsod when I married my wife and she's certainly no hooker and such totally offensive comments by one need to be put in their proper place.

Some do some don't ----- a true statement ....

However ..... a real "Hi-So" family would either say "no ... not needed" or expect MILLIONS (and then the new family would have a house in their name etc ....

There's not a chance in hel_l that the BKK HiSo would show off a check for 150k at a party for their daughter ...!! :D

explain that abit more please J.D as im learning more about the sin sod and your comment is not clear to me.

for a hiso family is 150k viewed as an insult because they are rich or is it not necessary to pay at all ?

i dont know and you seem to know so whats going on here. ?

An Isaani farm girl? Why?? Do you just want someone to boss around and have sex with? The novelty will soon wear off :o

Going rate has been 100,000 for a few years now. That's big bucks to an Isaani farmer. But then again ... he'd sell his granny for 20 baht if someone offered :D Middle classes expect 300,000 + As for the Thai rich ... wouldn't touch a farang for any kind of money ... mostly!

What absolute rubbish - and the prices you quote show how little you know about this country and its traditions.

I am married to a Thai girl that comes from a rich Thai family, who is Uni educated (both Thailand and America), whose parents are senior civil servants blah blah ect ect ...... and 20 years when I joked with her dad about having to pay to marry her, he replied in perfect English,

Tim

I totally agree. My gf also comes from a well-to-do family, the response I got when talking to her parents where along exactly the same lines.

Sorry if I come across as being rude, but what a bunch of snobbish parents-in-law you have. Looking down on poorer people than they are and equating their custom to being a hooker. I feel sorry for anyone that has parents-in-law that think like that. Not to mention that the sinsod is very much a part of many high-so marriages. Some people expect the sinsod and some don't. It's as simple as that. Of course some people expecting it only do so out of greed, but many others do so for other reasons. Some hookers may want a sinsod, but in general it's common knowledge that a hooker should not be expecting any sort of sinsod. I personally would take comments such as what came out of your parents-in-law's mouths to be something I'd expect from a bigoted low-class, uneducated individual. Sorry if I'm being offensive, but I gave a sinsod when I married my wife and she's certainly no hooker and such totally offensive comments by one need to be put in their proper place.

However ..... a real "Hi-So" family would either say "no ... not needed" or expect MILLIONS (and then the new family would have a house in their name etc ....

There's not a chance in hel_l that the BKK HiSo would show off a check for 150k at a party for their daughter ...!! :D

explain that abit more please J.D as im learning more about the sin sod and your comment is not clear to me.

for a hiso family is 150k viewed as an insult because they are rich or is it not necessary to pay at all ?

Hiso would look into a high Dowry (have recently had a wedding for 3 mil Baht here) , but under normal circumstances it will be returned . It is merely a show off .

All in all, if your not a cheap charlie you pay the sin sot, you get it back anyway, if she was married before dont pay the sin sot.

Up to you.

And whats this upper class Thai's wouldnt touch a farang?? Must be one of those myths thats been floating around with the farangs. Probaly started around Pattaya :o

donz, a question to you please.

the 150k you are paying,

is it prearranged that the family will give this money back to you as a gift as seems to be the tradition with hi-so family's, or do you expect not to get it back again in cash form ?

what does your wife to be say about this sin sot. ?

I didn't pay. My wife is lo-so..As for the remark about rich hi-so's never touching farang's. Come on. That's sounds like the type of thing Lonely Planet routinely writes in its super-out-of-date publications. You know along with warnings about the guys with razor blades that slice open you pockets..Ever seen that - in the last ten years?

Sure some thai-chinese girl in BKK from a hi-so family is not going to marry Lars the postal worker from Munich but she could very well hitch up with a professional farang with a good job in a Thai company (and maybe hi-so background himself). As for Sin Sot - I agree with those that say it varies family to family.

If we weren't on word-watch here right now, I'd remind you that some of the highest hi-so's have married farangs in the past.

As for the "Phuket hooker" remark. You ought to know by now that Thais rarely say exactly what they mean..it's always round-about. So maybe the Thai father-in-law was thinking more about the person marrying his daughter when he said that? "Think about it - I'll leave it there."

(Hey all . . speaking about word-watch ..as per the earlier warnings (the Website are responsible for offensive postings that make suggestions about bad public "morals etc").

I didn't pay. My wife is lo-so..As for the remark about rich hi-so's never touching farang's. Come on. That's sounds like the type of thing Lonely Planet routinely writes in its super-out-of-date publications. You know along with warnings about the guys with razor blades that slice open you pockets..Ever seen that - in the last ten years?

Sure some thai-chinese girl in BKK from a hi-so family is not going to marry Lars the postal worker from Munich but she could very well hitch up with a professional farang with a good job in a Thai company (and maybe hi-so background himself). As for Sin Sot - I agree with those that say it varies family to family.

If we weren't on word-watch here right now, I'd remind you that some of the highest hi-so's have married farangs in the past.

As for the "Phuket hooker" remark. You ought to know by now that Thais rarely say exactly what they mean..it's always round-about. So maybe the Thai father-in-law was thinking more about the person marrying his daughter when he said that? "Think about it - I'll leave it there."

(Hey all . . speaking about word-watch ..as per the earlier warnings (the Website are responsible for offensive postings that make suggestions about bad public "morals etc").

Lo-so or hi-so, the Sin Sot for a hooker is unacceptable, at least that's my personal view on the matter and I'll stick to it. I would not mind paying a Sin Sot for an honest family and with moral sense, even if lo-so, but for a hooker that's been in bed with almost anybody fancy paying 1 or 2 thousand baht...NEVER

Edited by alexth

i find the whole concept of sin sot very confusing and ive been comming to los a long time.

i mean i understand the concept but cant suss out when the correct or ever if there is a correct time to pay it,

i mean, am i being set up , am i not being set up, its just a head ache for me trying to get a handle on this subject.

luckily i dont have to deal with it yet but maybe one day i will.

some of you say pay sin sot, some say never pay sin sot, how much to pay and it just goes on.

how's a newbie to los going to work it out. ?

after reading all the posts im still no clearer on a 100% answer on this subject.

its a bloody nightmare for me and id doubt im the only one. :o

Tim

Yes but I dont want it back, I rather them have it to go towards the price of the wedding, if they dont accept me not wanting it I may buy her mother something nice as she always buys me stuff.

150K is because they know im not rich and said 150 is ok.

My in-laws are very good people, they are not money hungry people, they rather there daughters find true love instead of getting someone who is loaded and think there all that

............ and if you took the trouble to read the rest of my psotings on this subject you will see that I put my comment into a context that acknowldeges the point you make in your last comment - all be it not in the judgemental manner you like to portray it.

Tim

Lo-so or hi-so, the Sin Sot for a hooker is unacceptable, at least that's my personal view on the matter and I'll stick to it. I would not mind paying a Sin Sot for an honest family and with moral sense, even if lo-so, but for a hooker that's been in bed with almost anybody fancy paying 1 or 2 thousand baht...NEVER

i must say,

thats exactly my take on it as well as to pay a sin sot for a bar girl just defy's reality.

id even go as far as saying she should pay you a sin sot.

i must say,

thats exactly my take on it as well as to pay a sin sot for a bar girl just defy's reality.

SPOT ON

i must say,

I would pay a sinsot to an exbar girl, but would know I guess unless put in the situation. but dont think its valid.

And terry to answer your other question, its not arranged yet for me to get it back as I told my fiancee I dont want it back

Haha........ :o

Kinda reminds me of the old days in this Forum, well, 3 years ago anyway.

These type of threads always attracted a huge ammount of posts, almost as many as the Bargirl threads. Countless posters got banned in those days. :D

Oh, and why do people keep mentioning Bar Girls when talking about Sin Sot?

I have not seen one person mention paying Sin Sot to a bar girl, only people telling how they are with hi-so girls whose families are rich and don't need anything from anyone.

It's all good though.

Haha........ :D

Kinda reminds me of the old days in this Forum, well, 3 years ago anyway.

These type of threads always attracted a huge ammount of posts, almost as many as the Bargirl threads. Countless posters got banned in those days. :D

Oh, and why do people keep mentioning Bar Girls when talking about Sin Sot?

I have not seen one person mention paying Sin Sot to a bar girl, only people telling how they are with hi-so girls whose families are rich and don't need anything from anyone.

It's all good though.

By the quality of some threads, I think that this SIn Sot questions should have something to do with the bar girls :o

donz,

i must say you have my respect for always talking about your girl in a very positive way and the fact that she comes from a good family and is not a bar girl also impresses me.

i wish you all the luck with your wife to be. :o

Thanks, Well my girl has come from a good family. She is not like how many of the posters talk about Thai girls. she gets along with my friends, doesnt really use face, and well educated.

You can see why many people dont like me dont you :D

sorry punters,

this sin sot business gives me a brain ache so im off to bed.

please can some one pm me when you guys have got this subject worked out with a 100% correct answer. :D

and donz,

yes i do understand what your saying and i hope it always stays this way for you.

at least your giving it a go and not pissing around with bar girls.

chock dee cup. :o

This is almost the perfect topic.

If we could only combine it with 'Reverse Double Pricing' and 'Sip (10) Bht - What Can I Buy' we'd have a real winner.

But then again, perhaps not, it might all get a bit too much for the 'Reality Challanged' among us.

donz,

i must say you have my respect for always talking about your girl in a very positive way and the fact that she comes from a good family and is not a bar girl also impresses me.

i wish you all the luck with your wife to be. :o

Thanks, Well my girl has come from a good family. She is not like how many of the posters talk about Thai girls. she gets along with my friends, doesnt really use face, and well educated.

You can see why many people dont like me dont you :D

personally i think you are on a wind up, havent got a thai gf and are a 25 stone ugly bloke who sits behind his PC all day trying to invent a persona.

that's how you come across!!!!

i'd like to hear 'your' opinions on life, the universe and everything after your startlingly incisive views on sin sot.

You can see why many people dont like me dont you :o

No.

If you were around when we had the members picture thread where she was in it, you would understand

I was around, and I remember both of your pics. I thought you was Asian is that right?

I still don't understand why people would dislike you though. I don't, in fact I love you a lot, ever since I saw your superb masculine body.........................in that pic..........hahahaaa.........