HELP! Involved in an accident

patyh

Dear TV Members, would like some help and opinion on this matter.

I was involved in an accident last night while driving along Sukhumvit Road.

I was at the junction next the Tesco Lotus Onnut about to turn into Sukhumvit 81 (Onnut 10). While turning in, first 2 lane of vehicle have stopped to allow me to cross the junction, however, the left lane was empty so I proceeded with caution blinking my high beam along the way since we all know how drivers in Thailand drive.

Just managed to barely clear my front into Sukhumvit 81 before a motorcyclist hit the passenger side front door, near the "B" pillar.

Stepped out of the car to look at the damage and the motorcyclist who insists I was at fault for driving fast. Appeared to be fine initially, but as the people start crowding around (there's a motorcycle taxi pick up point at the soi) he began to complain of pain, had someone called for EMS for him. He asked if I was blaming him for the accident, I said I was not a police officer.

Motorcyclist did not carry any ID or Lic so I had my wife follow him in the "Poh Teck Tung" vehicle to Kluay Nam Thai 1 hospital so that we could at least get his name.

Police arrived on scene close to 30 mins after the incident, sprayed the vehicle location before asking that I move my vehicle (Since I was blocking the soi entrance).

Called my insurance who said he would send someone right away. Only to have him sent to the wrong place. He called again, and I told him that the police have taken the motorcycle to the police station (if you live in Onnut, you would know which one).

At the police station, the police said I was at a disadvantage since I was driving in the junction and he was driving on the main road (No idea if he was turning into the soi as well or not.)

My insurance guy arrived and we asses the situation. He also said that he would argue for me if I insists, but the damage makes it seems as though I was at fault.

The owner of the motorcycle came (The guy riding was apparently his friend) with his face darn red. The police decided to conclude the case by saying that I was at fault and would ask if I accept his judgement so that he may note it down in his log book.

My insurer said to accept because there was no way I could argue out of the situation. He also asked me to accept so that the motorcyclist can have a higher claim ceiling while he was being treated in the hospital. Out of pity and a lack of option, I agreed.

Now, the issue here is this, this morning, I visited the motorcyclist (Thai call it manners that I do so, even though foreign law would forbid me from doing so while the case is on-going). I apologise to him, told him it was an accident and that no one wanted this to happen. He agreed that it was an accident. Asked him about his condition and he said his leg is just swollen and unable to walk. Claims that he have a 9 month old baby but wasn't working as he was taking care of the baby.

At around 1pm today, the brother of the motorcyclist called me up and ask about insurance issue and hospital charges. I told him that my insurance told me they would cover it. Told him not to worry about it. Then he asked about this "Extra charges" and how much I was willing to give. I told him that I prefer to discuss anything with regards to any form of payment (be it insurance or personal) with the police and my insurer.

He sounds pissed.

MY question is: What is next after this. I was told I need to pay a fine for reckless driving (even though he was obviously overtaking within 30m of a junction.) I have no problem paying this fine, as like I said, I was at the wrong place at the wrong time

Hope some TV member can give me insight to what happen after this. Pay fine and that's it? Or must I really sit down and discuss this "extra charges" with him.

Post Edit:

Driving a Mitsubishi Attrage, with 1st Class Insurance.

Wife called the hospital this evening, nurse said the guy is fine, no broken bones. Should be out soon.

Edited by patyh

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1.You pay nothing and you DO NOT have a meeting with police presence.

2. You stop the nonsense of feeling pity,because Thai see it as weakness and pounce on it like a lion on gazelle.

3. Whatever claims other party has, is to go through insurance ONLY

4. What ever extra he wants is his problem and he can either sue insurance or sue you personally

5. If he is taking care of baby and not working, he is earning 0 and hence he is earning 0, he cannot ask for more than 0

Don't discuss anything just provide the guy with the number for your insurance company.

I tried to be nice and told him to keep all the receipt for any claims. But once he asked about how much I was willing to pay, I told him that I would prefer to discuss with the police and my insurer around.

Reminded him to call my insurer or the police for any compensation issues. The guy sounds pissed when he heard that though.

Don't discuss anything just provide the guy with the number for your insurance company.

I tried to be nice and told him to keep all the receipt for any claims. But once he asked about how much I was willing to pay, I told him that I would prefer to discuss with the police and my insurer around.

Reminded him to call my insurer or the police for any compensation issues. The guy sounds pissed when he heard that though.

3RD time, do NOT involve police.

Here a good read for you http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/845637-what-to-expect-after-car-accident/

Here a good read for you http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/845637-what-to-expect-after-car-accident/

So I should let my insurer handle everything though? Have yet to pay that fine for "reckless driving"

You might also consider moving apartments if your lease is near up or easily broken.

Currently living in wife house,. Wife family knows the people around here.. So should be fine. I'm more concerned with should I change my car plate.

So I should let my insurer handle everything though? Have yet to pay that fine for "reckless driving"

Fines are paid at police station.

I am certain you would be called in to police station to "discuss"

Go ONLY with insurance guy and if you feel he is a dick who is trying to help other party instead of doing his job, contact head office and request their assistance, explaining that the rep is not representing you.

Police might make some threats to get money out of you, simply shrug it off and keep saying insurance.

This is not a criminal matter where you drove drunk or anything alike.

You might also consider moving apartments if your lease is near up or easily broken.

Currently living in wife house,. Wife family knows the people around here.. So should be fine. I'm more concerned with should I change my car plate.

Do not panic, as i said, if you do , they pounce on it.

You have first class insurance which provides for medical and property damage.

Anything extra, they would have to sue for.

Suing, cost 60 000 upfront just to start with, and an unemployed with zero income will win just that, a big fat ZERO.

Locals do not pay each other "extra money" why should you?!

I've heard this kind of thing before. Essentially, Farang has money. Depends on your insurance agent and the attitude of the police. You'll possibly end up paying ฿20 000.- even though your insurance is paying.

Yes, Bar stool is a great source of informationthumbsup.gif

I confirm that I was not drunk. But knowing thai Police, they din't even bother checking his identity or taking any pictures as evidence.

Do not panic, as i said, if you do , they pounce on it.

You have first class insurance which provides for medical and property damage.

Anything extra, they would have to sue for.

Suing, cost 60 000 upfront just to start with, and an unemployed with zero income will win just that, a big fat ZERO.

Locals do not pay each other "extra money" why should you?!

Well.. That's for damn sure. Furthermore, last I heard, going to court doesn't mean he's getting what he asked for right?

I've heard this kind of thing before. Essentially, Farang has money. Depends on your insurance agent and the attitude of the police. You'll possibly end up paying ฿20 000.- even though your insurance is paying.

Well the thing here is. I'm thai by my mother. Just came back to live in Thailand for about 3 years. Driving for 2. First time in such an accident. Very stressful incident.

Well.. That's for damn sure. Furthermore, last I heard, going to court doesn't mean he's getting what he asked for right?

Of course not, just like with anything else, he would have to prove his income and loss of income.

All this is covered by insurance.

He would never sue, because he and everyone else is well aware court will not award anything.

If you killed him, then to avoid jail, blood money.

But just a simple road accident, is nothing to worry about.

Sounds like the insurance guy is a bit of a dck.

I would call head office and request someone more senior to deal with the matter, because this guy is not representing YOUR best interest and more importantly not INSURANCE company best interest.

Of course not, just like with anything else, he would have to prove his income and loss of income.

He would never sue, because he and everyone else is well aware court will not award anything.

I would call head office and request someone more senior to deal with the matter, because this guy is not representing YOUR best interest and more importantly not INSURANCE company best interest.

Sounds like a plan to me.. He seems to be having a pretty nice chit chat with the friend of the owner of the motorcycle though. Insisted that he knew neither the police or the other party while the police was making the judgement.. Same goes for the police officer though.. Is that normal? I mean, why would they police tell me, oh, I don't know who this guy is and who you are so I am not being biased.

Yes .... correct approach is not say nothing . Just advise anyone asking , Quote ; ' Please contact my insurance company if you require any information regarding the accident ' end quote ...

do not go to the police station alone ... have your insurance representative with you. And before going in with him explain that as he is representing you he must treat all discussions in a professional manner and you are not there to be used as a bargaining tool.

Sounds like a plan to me.. He seems to be having a pretty nice chit chat with the friend of the owner of the motorcycle though. Insisted that he knew neither the police or the other party while the police was making the judgement.. Same goes for the police officer though.. Is that normal? I mean, why would they police tell me, oh, I don't know who this guy is and who you are so I am not being biased.

I do not think there is such a thing as normal.

The alarms for me were

1. He insisted you accept the blame to give other party higher ceiling to claim.

My experience was with a taxi driver.

He ran into the back of my pick up, broke all fingers and totally written off his bike.

Insurance came, we went to police station, while taxi guy went to the hospital.

I insisted he waits for insurance even though he was bleeding all over the place(why was i so insensitive? because this fcker was asking me for money and he was 100% at fault)

Insurance guy came, took pics of accident and the driver.

In police station, insurance guy asked me who was at fault, I told him the other guy, as he slammed into the back of me.

Police wanted me to accept full blame or go 50/50 and close the case.

I refused, Insurance guy also insisted other party was at fault, however case could not be closed, because other party was in the hospital

Police kept my DL and told me to come back in 10 days.

I live in Pattaya, accident was in BKK

10 later, called the officer to see if the meeting was still on. Was advised other party could not make it and it will be 2 days later.

Officer also advised, other party refused to accept blame and states i reversed into him

so 2 days later, drove back to BKK, insurance guy waiting there also,

Insurance guy was already aware of the fiction story created by the taxi driver.

So both of us, asked the other party how fast was i reversing on Sukhumvit road, in peak hour traffic for me to hit him, for him to break his fingers and for his bike to end up in front of my car.

Officer, laughed, pocketed 400 baht from the taxi driver, i got my DL back and off we went.

Taxi guy came running after the insurance asking who will be paying for his medical bills and damage to his bike and loss of income.

Insurance guy, wished him best of luck and told him to get insurance,.

You'll only end up paying 20,000, if you're a fool. The more you resist this kind of thing, and expose it, the less they will try to pull it.

I do not think there is such a thing as normal.

The alarms for me were

1. He insisted you accept the blame to give other party higher ceiling to claim.

My experience was with a taxi driver.

He ran into the back of my pick up, broke all fingers and totally written off his bike.

Insurance came, we went to police station, while taxi guy went to the hospital.

I insisted he waits for insurance even though he was bleeding all over the place(why was i so insensitive? because this fcker was asking me for money and he was 100% at fault)

Insurance guy came, took pics of accident and the driver.

In police station, insurance guy asked me who was at fault, I told him the other guy, as he slammed into the back of me.

Police wanted me to accept full blame or go 50/50 and close the case.

I refused, Insurance guy also insisted other party was at fault, however case could not be closed, because other party was in the hospital

Police kept my DL and told me to come back in 10 days.

I live in Pattaya, accident was in BKK

10 later, called the officer to see if the meeting was still on. Was advised other party could not make it and it will be 2 days later.

Officer also advised, other party refused to accept blame and states i reversed into him

so 2 days later, drove back to BKK, insurance guy waiting there also,

Insurance guy was already aware of the fiction story created by the taxi driver.

So both of us, asked the other party how fast was i reversing on Sukhumvit road, in peak hour traffic for me to hit him, for him to break his fingers and for his bike to end up in front of my car.

Officer, laughed, pocketed 400 baht from the taxi driver, i got my DL back and off we went.

Taxi guy came running after the insurance asking who will be paying for his medical bills and damage to his bike and loss of income.

Insurance guy, wished him best of luck and told him to get insurance,.

Here I am hoping mine would be an easy case..

Like I've said, the brother called and asked for lost of income as well, said he was working as a non-regular worker. When I clearly recalled the guy saying he wasn't working but was at home looking after his new born kid. Should have recorded that down..

Like I've said, I'm not pushing the blame around. I accept that I was at the wrong place at the wrong time.. But that's what I bought first class insurance for. To cover my wallet when such incident occurs.

Edited by patyh

Like I've said, the brother called and asked for lost of income as well, said he was working as a non-regular worker. When I clearly recalled the guy saying he wasn't working but was at home looking after his new born kid. Should have recorded that down..

Like I've said, I'm not pushing the blame around. I accept that I was at the wrong place at the wrong time.. But that's what I bought first class insurance for. To cover my wallet when such incident occurs.

What the F is a non regular worker?giggle.gif

See the scamming begins,

Partly, sorry to say, you have yourself to blame by going to "visit" now the parasite claws are out.

May not even be the victim himself, but his "brothers" who want to make some money.

NO more phone calls or discussions of any kind.smile.png

Remember, this is Thailand and not your country.

So give him all your money, house, gf, and passport.....and try to raise more money for him when back home.

do you want him to lose face!!!!!! lol

i am convinced everyone is drunk driving, reckless, endangering others, and i would demand CSI on the scene!!!

anyhow, good luck.....but maybe just get a motorcycle and run into things......get tons of money!!!!

See the scamming begins,

Partly, sorry to say, you have yourself to blame by going to "visit" now the parasite claws are out.

May not even be the victim himself, but his "brothers" who want to make some money.

I agree. I visit him out of pity. And also to see when can he "get well" enough to give his "Statement" at the police station.. Just want to end this and move on with my life. Every second this issue remains, I get much more stressful.

Remember, this is Thailand and not your country.

So give him all your money, house, gf, and passport.....and try to raise more money for him when back home.

do you want him to lose face!!!!!! lol

i am convinced everyone is drunk driving, reckless, endangering others, and i would demand CSI on the scene!!!

anyhow, good luck.....but maybe just get a motorcycle and run into things......get tons of money!!!!

Good plan. Should buy a bike for what 10k, dress in full body protection and start driving recklessly.

Let the insurance guy handle it. Change if you want, but so far it looks like he is doing his job. That is presuming you are to blame, which can easily be the case from your story.

While true. As long my next visit to the police station is handled by him with my interest and his company in mind, he should still be fine.

See the scamming begins,

I agree. I visit him out of pity. And also to see when can he "get well" enough to give his "Statement" at the police station.. Just want to end this and move on with my life. Every second this issue remains, I get much more stressful.

Stop bloody stressingbiggrin.png

Its just an accident, once he is well enough, do not worry you would be contacted.

You have insurance, so you have nothing to worry about.

Of course you can give him 20 000 to get well faster and no doubt he would, only to have him back asking for 20 000 more

I see accidents on daily basis, as my business is on the main road, and one thing they all have in common when bike and car have accident is car owner always attacks bike owner, even when car was at fault.

In the end, matters gets settled with 1000 baht and no insurance claims.

Moral of the story, do not willingly accept any blame even when you are at fault, let insurance fight it out with police who is to blame.

It is in the best interest of insurance company for other party to be at fault, because then, after fixing your car, they go after other party to recover the costs.

When you accept the blame, insurance must fix your car and their car and all other expenses and no one to recover from

Let the insurance guy handle it. Change if you want, but so far it looks like he is doing his job. That is presuming you are to blame, which can easily be the case from your story.

This 2 sentences do not really make insurance guy all that reassuring

My insurance guy arrived and we asses the situation. He also said that he would argue for me if I insists, but the damage makes it seems as though I was at fault.

He also asked me to accept so that the motorcyclist can have a higher claim ceiling while he was being treated in the hospital. Out of pity and a lack of option, I agreed.

Does it effect you insurance cost if you have a claim against you?

Here in saudi a lot of people drive without insurance so the blame always go's on the insured party. So for an Expat it is always your fault, but the cost of insurance isn't effected, so I have no problem taking blame if it doesn't cost me anything...

Is it similar in thailand?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk