What to expect after car accident

NewInPatts

Woke up early the other day and went to 711. Parked on the opposite side of the road, came back into my car, was about to U-turn as the road seemed clear, moved the car about 2 meters into the road and BOOM a motorbike hit me with full speed on the front fender.

Of course I got out of the car, tried to assist the lady on the motorbike, but being the only white guy, everyone was yapping at me. Insurance and police were called and EMS for the old lady. Insurance took a couple of pictures, the lady was brought to a hospital (nothing serious, just a few scratches thankfully!) and I was driving to the police station with the old lady's daughter / son, my wife and so on...

There was never an investigation at the actual scene if the lady or I was drunk - I know I wasn't and I hope she wasn't either but she might not have had her lights on. Anyway, we went to the station and the insurance guys did some paper work then made an appointment for the next day (for a police report I think?).

The next day comes, I show up and the police guy tells us the old lady couldn't make it today have to meet again on Saturday.

So now I am wondering whats gonna happen to me. I have a valid thai drivers license, 1st class insurance and the lady's hospital bill was around 3,000 baht. My wife called her and asked about her well-being.

When I go to the station on Saturday what can I expect to happen? I am guessing I am getting a small fine (maybe 2,000 baht?), fill out a police report and thats it?

Do I have to compensate the lady, lets say the copper says give her 5,000 or 10,000 and case closed or can end up in the slammer for some odd reason?

After all its just a minor car accident but this being at some backyard pattaya (nongprue) police station I have no idea what to expect. Accidents like this must happen a couple hundred times a day and of course its the farangs fault, but what can really happen in the worst case scenario for me?

Edited by NewInPatts

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I were you I would let my insurance company rep handle everything, including doing all the talking.

He was already at the station at the morning (5am) of the accident. He is not going to show up to the station again. I think the appointment is to make a deal if the case goes to court or not. If it goes to court, I wont be able to post bail on a saturday, correct?

Thats my biggest fear right now, not knowing whats happening. Can't imagine that it goes to court but I better prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

If I were you I would let my insurance company rep handle everything, including doing all the talking.

He was already at the station at the morning (5am) of the accident. He is not going to show up to the station again. I think the appointment is to make a deal if the case goes to court or not. If it goes to court, I wont be able to post bail on a saturday, correct?

Thats my biggest fear right now, not knowing whats happening. Can't imagine that it goes to court but I better prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Your concern is understandable. If the Thai lady could cancel the first appointment then why not get your wife to call the police station, tell them you're not feeling well (which with the prospect of a weekend in the cells may be perfectly true), and rearrange the appointment for Monday?

I have also just noticed that the document I signed at the station says " I was driving carelessly and that it's my fault". So I automatically took the blame without any investigation or anything.. unbelievable.

When I asked in the station what the document says, I was told it's a notification for the appointment on saturday.

Edited by NewInPatts

I have also just noticed that the document I signed at the station says " I was driving carelessly and that it's my fault". So I automatically took the blame without any investigation or anything.. unbelievable.

Did the insurance rep let you sign it?

When I asked in the station what the document says, I was told it's a notification for the appointment on saturday.

I always expect to be lied to here whenever money is involved. That way I only get good surprises (though they are extremely rare).

He was already at the station at the morning (5am) of the accident. He is not going to show up to the station again.

Why not?

I always expect to be lied to here whenever money is involved. That way I only get good surprises (though they are extremely rare).

KK is correct. The Insurance guy is supposed to be working for you and the Insurance Co but I discovered recently that many are contractors and not directly employed. My gf had a recent experience where there was a "conflict of interest" and she had to insist on the policeman rewriting the report as it was factually wrong. We reported to our broker re the problems with the rep and apparently the company he works for are no longer being used by a quite large and reputable Ins Co.

My point being that if you have already signed you need to contact your broker/insurance company and explain as it appears that the rep is not doing all he can to safeguard the interests of his paying client/s.

From your description of the accident however it does sound as if maybe you were at fault...........

KK is correct. The Insurance guy is supposed to be working for you and the Insurance Co but I discovered recently that many are contractors and not directly employed. My gf had a recent experience where there was a "conflict of interest" and she had to insist on the policeman rewriting the report as it was factually wrong. We reported to our broker re the problems with the rep and apparently the company he works for are no longer being used by a quite large and reputable Ins Co.

My point being that if you have already signed you need to contact your broker/insurance company and explain as it appears that the rep is not doing all he can to safeguard the interests of his paying client/s.

From your description of the accident however it does sound as if maybe you were at fault...........

Not even saying it isn't my fault. I simply didn't see her coming. Maybe she was speeding, maybe she didn't had the lights turned on - I don't know. I moved the car about 2 metres on the road until she hit the front fender.

Still not a good feeling being told to sign a certain paper which turns out to be something different. Will see what Saturday brings, but does anyone know the maximum penalty / fine for that kind of accident?

Credos to you for not fleeing the accident scene like a rat.

The "police" have no interest in puting you into jail, it is "only" about extorting money.

It is classic for the "police" to fool you to sign a paper which blames you while not scrutinize the Thai counterpart.

It is normal, once insurance company has agreed and settlement made to "injured" party, that a small fine is levied for any accident and it goes no further other than that and a police report noting things down. Once that is done, then no further claims can be made and no court appearance is needed.

It is normal, once insurance company has agreed and settlement made to "injured" party, that a small fine is levied for any accident and it goes no further other than that and a police report noting things down. Once that is done, then no further claims can be made and no court appearance is needed.

Thanks for your reply! So all of this is normal procedure and I am not facing any jail time or some stuff like that? I mean the lady is fine, I had my wife call up on her to make sure she is ok and basically she just got a few scratches on her leg.

From what I understand, I'll go there on saturday, the insurance people will show up, agree on an amount, I will get fined and maybe pay the lady a little compensation and then the case is closed?

+1 Petercool

EDIT: don't sweat it, you're nowhere near to jail time territory. But to be clear, if indeed you do have first class insurance, make your insurance company/rep front all the debates/form filling/signing, that's what you're paying for.

Edited by chiang mai

The "police" have no interest in puting you into jail, it is "only" about extorting money.

It is classic for the "police" to fool you to sign a paper which blames you while not scrutinize the Thai counterpart.

I would never flee the scene and make matters worse. I am not one of those people. It might have been my fault, it might have not. After all it's called accident. It's not like I was waiting for her to come close and hit her - I just didn't see her.

Thanks for your reply! So all of this is normal procedure and I am not facing any jail time or some stuff like that? I mean the lady is fine, I had my wife call up on her to make sure she is ok and basically she just got a few scratches on her leg.

From what I understand, I'll go there on saturday, the insurance people will show up, agree on an amount, I will get fined and maybe pay the lady a little compensation and then the case is closed?

That is certainly what I have witnessed and would expect in your case also. Good luck.

Let your insurance do all the talking and do not go to the police station unless demanded. The old lady didn't go did she...

If you do go to the police station, do not take your wife.

"do not take your wife", only if you speak fluent Thai and understand in detail the workings of Thai culture, failing that, take your wife!

A Thai wife can read any documents. No matter how well you might think you understood everything spoken, most of us can't read Thai well enough.

And if asked a question by officers she can help you or if Insurance agent does the talking, she can help you understand later - if not then.

Your first class insurance should take care of everything. Ask the police to call your insurance. Don't even go yourself. In case of expected gross negligence bail is a possibility, but a judge would have to decide on that and bail should be included in your first class insurance.

As for who was at fault? You. You are not allowed to park on the opposite side of the road plus you hit the mb when joining traffic when the mb was already part of the traffic.

The mb driver can sue you in civil court but also in that case, your insurance should take care of this for you.

Good luck!

Depending on the lady in question what she feels and what friends and family have told her about an accident with a Foreigner will determine what will happen. Gaol time is not even on the cards so don't worry about that. Ideally let the insurance deal with it but they only seem interested in damage to the vehicles. My own experiences have shown that its like a dream come true and she hit a money tree not a car. It could start off with something like 100k and then negociate it down or if she isn't the typical Thai then a sensible figure of a few thousand Baht for time etc.

I would never flee the scene and make matters worse. I am not one of those people. It might have been my fault, it might have not. After all it's called accident. It's not like I was waiting for her to come close and hit her - I just didn't see her.

In the UK its called driving without due care and attention.

You have insurance , which means you do not owe her or anyone any money.

The only thing you would be hit up for is negligent driving( if you did u turn illegally ) and that's 500 baht.

Changing appointments with police is pretty standard. It is also likely because of the impact , insurance laid blame on her, so in good old Thai fashion she is hiding to avoid police fine and paying insurance.

You have nothing to worry about, and no need to call her

Since the OP has unfortunately already signed a document claiming responsibility, there's nothing that can be done to change that but if the OP's wife AND insurance agent were at the police station at that time, didn't they tell him what the document actually said? Maybe the wife was cowed by the uniform which is a common trait here but the agent should have been truthful if asked.

The insurance should take care of all the hospital charges for the bike riders injuries which thankfully appear minimal. I would make sure that the insurers have that covered completely. The Por Ror Bor compulsory insurance can probably cover that without resorting to the 1st class insurance coverage.

Based on personal experience with the Nongprue police station with a car/motorbike accident, the 'canceled' meeting may be part of their play to get some money out of the whole deal. The injured party may not want to pursue anything further having received treatment and guarantees of payment from the OP's insurers. Since the OP's wife has been in touch with her directly to check on her recovery, she should ask if she has any intention of pursuing additional cash at the police station. It is not unknown for the Nongprue police to pressure otherwise uninterested parties to attend (the uniform thing again).

The OP should attend the meeting at the police station with his agent AND WIFE and if the injured party is still missing, insist on closing the 'case' and paying whatever small fine they impose for careless driving. Make sure that you get a copy of the signed document from the police saying that it is closed and nobody has recourse to harass you later. If the injured party does attend, you are free to meet at the back with the agent and wife and discuss any additional compensation keeping in mind that the Nongprue police will include their 'brokerage' fee in any negotiations that they feel compelled to direct. Once again, get a copy of the 'sign off' sheet.

Good luck.

Edited by NanLaew

I don't think a visit to the police station was even necessary, police could have written up a report on the spot, insurance guy write up a claim and that should be the end of it. You should call the insurance company up to explain what happen like the previous poster said. Don't need to pay a single satang.

I notice whenever accidents involves motorcycles, and it takes place in the country side, even with a Thai driving many times the motorcycle demands compensation just because they are a motorcycle. This happened to my friends in the past before, which makes no sense. They expect that you are suppose to have "compassion" because you drive a car and they are on a motorcycle and are not rich so they should not be at fault for anything.

I have first class insurance.

I recently had an accident that was technically my fault.

(I crossed over the center line to avoid someone speeding who was going to hit me at a 90 degree angle, and a motorbike then ran into me)

I had a friend with me, an insurance person came, but no police.

The insurance person drew a simple diagram as to what happened.

He said "Technically this accident is your fault as you crossed over the centerline, and the person you were avoiding never stopped so we can't speak to them. Please initial the diagram and state it basically represents what happened. If you don't want to sign we will need to call the police and it will get complicated and I can assure you it will wind up being your fault when it is all said and done."

My friend then called my insurance broker and she suggested that I sign the diagram, and that all would be fine, so I signed.

Got my car fixed perfectly, no other fallout.

I am assuming my insurance rates will go up a bit.