patyh

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you fully insured?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Opps! Forgot to add,

Car is a 2 years old Mitsubishi Attrage. Driving around with a First Class Insurance.

You didn't forget...."Driving a Mitsubishi Attrage, with 1st Class Insurance."...some people just don't read all before responding. Edited by dotpoom

Are you fully insured?

Opps! Forgot to add,

Car is a 2 years old Mitsubishi Attrage. Driving around with a First Class Insurance.

You didn't forget...."Driving a Mitsubishi Attrage, with 1st Class Insurance."...some people just don't read all before responding.

Sorry to cause so much misunderstanding. I did went back to change after streboris's post.

There are several ways it could be handled but if it was me I would not say anything to anyone and let the Thai wife and or the insurance and or my lawyer handle it.

I would also say, through my wife or insurance agent or the lawyer, I want to know how much you are going to pay me for damaging my car and causing me all this grief as it was obviously YOU who hit my vehicle.......... regardless of your opinion and or what you think or how you see it differently as I did nothing wrong or illegal while turning into a Soi (any Soi ) is an everyday occurrence all over Bangkok and practiced by millions of drivers while you did not practice defensive driving because OBVIOUSLY everyone else stopped and gave way and saw what was happening because they were driving with caution while you, and only you, did not drive correctly or cautiously resulting in YOU smashing into me...as in You..... smashed into me...not me smashing into you...so you are at fault here and when you admit you are at fault then this problem, you caused, can be resolved.

I would handle it that way and stand my ground...firmly....that is until it starts to get ugly ( if it does) and then handle it differently.

I have been there and done that in other situations and I did not win anything, so to speak, other than the truth was established....but in your case it seems by what you have stated and for the record that right from the beginning you let everyone twist the truth and immediately laid the blame on you while you let them keep on blaming you....for simply and legally and cautiously turning into a Soi....while it is obvious who crashed into who because they were not paying attention and or driving recklessly, as is often the case with motorcycle drivers anyhow.

The main reason I would handle the situation that way is because, by way of why you stated, the motorcycle driver immediately started to blame it on you while he lied....immediately outright lied..... about what you did not do or what you were not doing and or what he was doing while trying to cover up his mistake by lying and continues to lie while now using the lie to get his brother involved and then try to milk you for some money.

Most Thai people I deal with are perfectly fine and no problems...but when I catch them outright lying and try to blame me or someone else for their stupid action or reckless conduct and the resultant mistake made by them and no one else while trying to avoid the responsibility while continually lying and sustaining the lie...then ...I stand my ground and fight back.

As for the outcome???....no one ever knows really until it ends, while commonly, hindsight coming from other people tell you that you should have handled it differently.

Cheers and good luck as it sounds like you will need it concerning these low life people you are unfortunately having to deal with.

Edited by gemguy

Exactly the same thing happened to me. I was trying to cross to enter a business in the other side of a two lane road. Traffic was backed up to some lights, so quite unusually a car backed up so I could cross over. As I slowly moved forward a motorbike came racing up on the inside hard shoulder and slammed straight into the front of my car (which is fitted with bull bars). The male rider was uninjured, but his female pillion had a leg injury. The bike was bent too, but no damage to my car. The police arrived, and an ambulance, and we all made statements and produced our documents. The bike was uninsured, and tax out of date, and they were not wearing helmets. All my papers were good, but I didn't have comprehensive insurance. In the end, I was blamed and made to pay for the bike damage, her hospital bills and her loss of income..! We later found out that she wasn't working where she said she was, and we stopped all further payments. The police thought it was funny that I objected to the way they handled the case. I was later stopped and threatened with jail, if I didn't pay a substantial bribe. My opinion of the Thai Police was changed forever after..

I'm curious. What happened after that?

One of the main reasons why I do not buy and or drive a car here in Thailand and never will.

Many others will disagree and claim there should be no problems when an accident occurs if you are fully covered ...AND ...you were not at fault so why would such a worry stop you from driving in Thailand .....they would argue.

Even though many foreigners have accidents and they are properly covered by their auto insurance and no real problems evolve after an accident, I can assure you there are just too many incidents like yours and or the incident happening to the OP.

I simply do not like it when the odds are stacked against you while I do not feel comfortable knowing that all too many Thais will immediately lie and lie some more and or blame you for the accident ...as seen by the example posted by the OP.

Besides...car owner ship is somewhat of a pain in the ass anyhow and certainly more so here than in the country I come from while I had plenty of cars ( even had a 1967 Corvette which near bankrupted me with all the money I spend making it go faster and faster...but it was good fun...... at a young age ) ...so the thought of car ownership strikes me as more of a burden in too many aspects rather than a joy to own a car here in Thailand

Cheers

Are you fully insured?

Opps! Forgot to add,

You didn't forget...."Driving a Mitsubishi Attrage, with 1st Class Insurance."...some people just don't read all before responding.
lol another one who automatically assumes everyone is as stupid as he is...

There are several ways it could be handled but if it was me I would not say anything to anyone and let the Thai wife and or the insurance and or my lawyer handle it.

I would also say, through my wife or insurance agent or the lawyer, I want to know how much you are going to pay me for damaging my car and causing me all this grief as it was obviously YOU who hit my vehicle.......... regardless of your opinion and or what you think or how you see it differently as I did nothing wrong or illegal while turning into a Soi (any Soi ) is an everyday occurrence all over Bangkok and practiced by millions of drivers while you did not practice defensive driving because OBVIOUSLY everyone else stopped and gave way and saw what was happening because they were driving with caution while you, and only you, did not drive correctly or cautiously resulting in YOU smashing into me...as in You..... smashed into me...not me smashing into you...so you are at fault here and when you admit you are at fault then this problem, you caused, can be resolved.

I would handle it that way and stand my ground...firmly....that is until it starts to get ugly ( if it does) and then handle it differently.

I have been there and done that in other situations and I did not win anything, so to speak, other than the truth was established....but in your case it seems by what you have stated and for the record that right from the beginning you let everyone twist the truth and immediately laid the blame on you while you let them keep on blaming you....for simply and legally and cautiously turning into a Soi....while it is obvious who crashed into who because they were not paying attention and or driving recklessly, as is often the case with motorcycle drivers anyhow.

The main reason I would handle the situation that way is because, by way of why you stated, the motorcycle driver immediately started to blame it on you while he lied....immediately outright lied..... about what you did not do or what you were not doing and or what he was doing while trying to cover up his mistake by lying and continues to lie while now using the lie to get his brother involved and then try to milk you for some money.

Most Thai people I deal with are perfectly fine and no problems...but when I catch them outright lying and try to blame me or someone else for their stupid action or reckless conduct and the resultant mistake made by them and no one else while trying to avoid the responsibility while continually lying and sustaining the lie...then ...I stand my ground and fight back.

As for the outcome???....no one ever knows really until it ends, while commonly, hindsight coming from other people tell you that you should have handled it differently.

Cheers and good luck as it sounds like you will need it concerning these low life people you are unfortunately having to deal with.

gemguy... or may I call you Ironballs,

I totally agree with your assertion that if the OP's circumstances, had it occurred in 'sensible world', he would not be considered to be at fault. However, as someone mentioned in an earlier post, the locals, including the cops when involved, never consider the cause of any accident in any investigation, only the effect. Subsequently they base their decisions and in the police case, their prosecutions, solely on that. The point that you labored in this particular case where the motorcycle obviously didn't exhibit the same caution as others and crashed into the OP's car doesn't amount to a hill of beans in LOS. The victim and the police see a motorcycle partially implanted, almost t-bone style in the side of a car that is 90 degrees to the path of the motorcycle and thus blocking the motorcycle's right of way. Therefore the car driver is wrong. The bike driver could be blind drunk and high as a kite, unlicensed and uninsured on a stolen bike which may result in separate arrest and prosecution; but the car driver is still going to be wrong. In 'sensible' world, both vehicle operators in the OP's accident would probably have been ticketed for DIFFERENT but CONTRIBUTING offences. They do accident investigations over there, whereas the locals try and get someone else to accept all responsibility, even in Thai on Thai accidents and the police are usually just the facilitators of the 'agreement'.

Without claiming foreigners are better drivers than the locals and inviting quarrelsome debate, the concept of defensive driving is probably lost in Thailand where getting to the final destination as quickly as possible is the prime motivator for most but not all local drivers. To prevent argument, I would say that there's a higher percentage of foreign defensive drivers than Thai ones. If you now take that argument and quantify it by comparing the amount of foreign drivers versus local drivers on the road here, then the odds are significantly stacked against the defensive foreigner, even the super qualified, advanced-driver certified foreign defensive driver.

I would agree and stand your ground and try and make them see the bigger picture but be prepared for it to be resolved against your better experience, knowledge and judgement and defying conventional logic. With particular note to relying on the translation and representation skills of your Thai partner, if she is a woman that isn't cowed by the authority of the uniform and unswayed by the traditional krieng jai and song sahn of these pathetic claimants, she's a keeper.

gemguy... or may I call you Ironballs,

I totally agree with your assertion that if the OP's circumstances, had it occurred in 'sensible world', he would not be considered to be at fault. However, as someone mentioned in an earlier post, the locals, including the cops when involved, never consider the cause of any accident in any investigation, only the effect. Subsequently they base their decisions and in the police case, their prosecutions, solely on that. The point that you labored in this particular case where the motorcycle obviously didn't exhibit the same caution as others and crashed into the OP's car doesn't amount to a hill of beans in LOS. The victim and the police see a motorcycle partially implanted, almost t-bone style in the side of a car that is 90 degrees to the path of the motorcycle and thus blocking the motorcycle's right of way. Therefore the car driver is wrong. The bike driver could be blind drunk and high as a kite, unlicensed and uninsured on a stolen bike which may result in separate arrest and prosecution; but the car driver is still going to be wrong. In 'sensible' world, both vehicle operators in the OP's accident would probably have been ticketed for DIFFERENT but CONTRIBUTING offences. They do accident investigations over there, whereas the locals try and get someone else to accept all responsibility, even in Thai on Thai accidents and the police are usually just the facilitators of the 'agreement'.

Without claiming foreigners are better drivers than the locals and inviting quarrelsome debate, the concept of defensive driving is probably lost in Thailand where getting to the final destination as quickly as possible is the prime motivator for most but not all local drivers. To prevent argument, I would say that there's a higher percentage of foreign defensive drivers than Thai ones. If you now take that argument and quantify it by comparing the amount of foreign drivers versus local drivers on the road here, then the odds are significantly stacked against the defensive foreigner, even the super qualified, advanced-driver certified foreign defensive driver.

I would agree and stand your ground and try and make them see the bigger picture but be prepared for it to be resolved against your better experience, knowledge and judgement and defying conventional logic. With particular note to relying on the translation and representation skills of your Thai partner, if she is a woman that isn't cowed by the authority of the uniform and unswayed by the traditional krieng jai and song sahn of these pathetic claimants, she's a keeper.

All of what you have said is true....but as I said before:

When a Thai person or any other person immediately starts to Lie and continues to Lie and then tries to encourage others to continue with the façade and in this case gets his family members to get involved in the lie and attempted manipulation and intimidation while certain they can make money off of this "foreigner chump" while thinking : "How lucky for us to have an accident with a foreigner so let's start to expand on this lie and try to extort money out of this foreigner"...type of Thai mentality.

They would not immediately try to pull this off with other Thai people...but foreigners are fair game....right ??????

Like I said: I have been there before ...but not concerning a vehicle accident...... while I stood my ground and did not pay a thing or let them get any concession at all.....just because they tried to LIE..... as in LIE their way out of it....... and continued to LIE while they were caught out in the LIE.

You handle it your way and I will handle it my way....as I see fit...or you see fit depending on the circumstances.

On the other hand I have had situations where the Thai people said: Ooooops..... Sorry.... I made a big mistake and I do not feel good about what happened...So sorry....( Kor Tawt...Kor Tawt ) .....while they did not try to IMMEDIATELY LIE THEIR WAY OUT OF THE PROBLEM THEY CREATED while they accepted the responsibility and they accepted the admonishment gracefully.

That is where the BIG DIFFERENCE is and prompts a person to be more forgiving and somewhat flexible about such a situation should it happen to you.

Cheers

Wow.

Once again: it is not about insurance, it is about responsibility. The person responsible for the accident has to pay. If he had insurance, good for him, if he doesn't, out of pocket. And yes, have that insurance guy handle if all.

Now if not covered by insurance he still is responsible. If not willing to pay, court is the next step, after mediation with police.

You have to let go of the idea 'he had to claim from insurance'. He has to claim from responsible party, who will get insurance to pay if justified and covered. But if not covered but justified the person himself has to pay.

I can not believe you actually came back with this.bah.gif

Of course in case of accident one party is responsible and of course if one does not have insurance, he/she is liable to pay for damages.

This is not what i was posting about earlier and this is NOT what you were trying to argue with your expert knowledge.

No, other party does NOT claim from person and person then claims from Insurance.Insurance handles everything .

Police mediation is NOT necessary as it is not a criminal matter, but a civil one, unless police decided to charge me with some criminal offense.

Thousands of people refuse to pay daily, they do not end up in police mediation.

If they did, police stations would be pretty busy dealing with every case of unpaid bill or a loan or a credit card.

People run to police in hope, the fact is if not a criminal case- nothing to do with police.

All of what you have said is true....but as I said before:

When a Thai person or any other person immediately starts to Lie and continues to Lie and then tries to encourage others to continue with the façade and in this case gets his family members to get involved in the lie and attempted manipulation and intimidation while certain they can make money off of this "foreigner chump" while thinking : "How lucky for us to have an accident with a foreigner so let's start to expand on this lie and try to extort money out of this foreigner"...type of Thai mentality.

They would not immediately try to pull this off with other Thai people...but foreigners are fair game....right ??????

Like I said: I have been there before ...but not concerning a vehicle accident...... while I stood my ground and did not pay a thing or let them get any concession at all.....just because they tried to LIE..... as in LIE their way out of it....... and continued to LIE while they were caught out in the LIE.

You handle it your way and I will handle it my way....as I see fit...or you see fit depending on the circumstances.

On the other hand I have had situations where the Thai people said: Ooooops..... Sorry.... I made a big mistake and I do not feel good about what happened...So sorry....( Kor Tawt...Kor Tawt ) .....while they did not try to IMMEDIATELY LIE THEIR WAY OUT OF THE PROBLEM THEY CREATED while they accepted the responsibility and they accepted the admonishment gracefully.

That is where the BIG DIFFERENCE is and prompts a person to be more forgiving and somewhat flexible about such a situation should it happen to you.

Cheers

We're on the same wavelength. My wife had an accident in Thailand where two days later, while the insurance company were looking for cctv footage, the pathetic victims family found a motorcycle taxi guy that claimed that saw it all and got on the blame game. Apparently the 'claimants' even took him to the police station where apparently he was asked by either a cop or the insurance agent what colour my wifes car was and of course he didn't have a clue. Fail!

More recently, I had a kid and his girlfriend on a motorbike make a mess of shooting the gap ahead of me while I was crossing the notorious railroad tracks on the dark side of Pattaya. He tried to change to go behind me and losing control, slid under the back bumper, spinning both riders into the front of a 7 eleven. The girlfriend riding pillion was pretty banged up but when my wife asked the kid if it was my fault (I was driving my truck), he said no it wasn't and we left as the onlookers and potential eye-witnesses started to swarm. I have also personally been in an accident in the US where pretty much the same happened, except it was wrecker drivers trying to pressure a dozy cop into giving me a DUI (and them a lucrative tow) since my all 3 cars in the fender-bender were still drive-able. If anyone lies then yes, no more Mr. Nice Guy and they can all get stuffed.

I don't subscribe to it being a uniquely Thai on farang money grab. Recently, a kid on a motorbike decided to race the traffic lights near my wife's restaurant by shooting down the outside of the line of waiting cars. One of the cars was turning right into a car wash before the traffic lights and he bounced off the door, shot over the kerb and ended up in a noodle shop. While waiting for the rescue guys (he wasn't dead), his mate who was riding behind him, made a hue and cry about the car driver being wrong while she waited in shock for her insurance rep to show up. The cops actually showed up about an hour later when there was nothing but a few scrapes on the kerb, took photos, wrote it up and buggered off without even asking for witnesses. I am not sure how that poor lass is fairing but I am pretty sure she has already been to the hospital, paid some token sum and is still being harassed by family members of the 'victim' while waiting for the insurers and cops to make it all go away.

We can only be responsible for our own actions but this being Thailand, one has to be prepared to be blamed for everyone else's stupidity too, Thai or farang.

Wow.

Once again: it is not about insurance, it is about responsibility. The person responsible for the accident has to pay. If he had insurance, good for him, if he doesn't, out of pocket. And yes, have that insurance guy handle if all.

Now if not covered by insurance he still is responsible. If not willing to pay, court is the next step, after mediation with police.

You have to let go of the idea 'he had to claim from insurance'. He has to claim from responsible party, who will get insurance to pay if justified and covered. But if not covered but justified the person himself has to pay.

Of course in case of accident one party is responsible and of course if one does not have insurance, he/she is liable to pay for damages.

This is not what i was posting about earlier and this is NOT what you were trying to argue with your expert knowledge.

No, other party does NOT claim from person and person then claims from Insurance.Insurance handles everything .

Police mediation is NOT necessary as it is not a criminal matter, but a civil one, unless police decided to charge me with some criminal offense.

Thousands of people refuse to pay daily, they do not end up in police mediation.

If they did, police stations would be pretty busy dealing with every case of unpaid bill or a loan or a credit card.

People run to police in hope, the fact is if not a criminal case- nothing to do with police.

Distorting, twisting is all you're doing. Maybe go back to your first post I said 'no' to, which was quite far in the thread already.

You have given very good advice early on in the thread, but that time had long gone unfortunately.

And yet you tell us the victim should use up their sick leave instead of claiming for loss of income and if they do not have enough sick leave then that is their problem.

And yet you tell us the victim should use up their sick leave instead of claiming for loss of income and if they do not have enough sick leave then that is their problem.

Victim is welcome to file lawsuit spend 5 years in court and 200000-300000 baht in upfront fees.

Sometimes it pays to think before speaking , does not it.

Wow.

Distorting, twisting is all you're doing. Maybe go back to your first post I said 'no' to, which was quite far in the thread already.

You have given very good advice early on in the thread, but that time had long gone unfortunately.

As expected more off topic drivel.

By now your self proclaimed expert knowledge is pretty clear .

Can not be bothered repeating myself over and over again.

Should I post this at "Ask a lawyer" and see what the lawyer thinks about this case as well? I'm still sitting here waiting for that call.

You should forget about it and get your car fixed

Done that. Sent the car to the workshop already. Got it back since they are waiting for parts. Doors need to be changed for sure.. The guy came in hard.. But thankfully not hard enough otherwise he would have flew over the top of my car and that might have been worst.

Should I post this at "Ask a lawyer" and see what the lawyer thinks about this case as well? I'm still sitting here waiting for that call.

Done that. Sent the car to the workshop already. Got it back since they are waiting for parts. Doors need to be changed for sure.. The guy came in hard.. But thankfully not hard enough otherwise he would have flew over the top of my car and that might have been worst.

Good, now move on with your life and stop stressing.

You do have many fringe benefits over most others here, which is you REALLY speak Thai and have a Thai passport, which makes you a Thai.

Just forget it and enjoy your life, if and when you get a call to pay the fine or sign off on insurance, you go and do that.

If you get a call from blood sucker, either do not answer or give him phone number for your insurance.thumbsup.gif

Good, now move on with your life and stop stressing.

You do have many fringe benefits over most others here, which is you REALLY speak Thai and have a Thai passport, which makes you a Thai.

Just forget it and enjoy your life, if and when you get a call to pay the fine or sign off on insurance, you go and do that.

If you get a call from blood sucker, either do not answer or give him phone number for your insurance.thumbsup.gif

Well, the first time and last time he called, I told him to call either the insurance or the police if he have any further issue with regards to the case. Bad idea to give him my number in the first place though.

Today, will have to call up my insurer and ask them to change the guy looking after my case.. Like you, I've spoken to a few people and all agree that the insurer should never had told me to sign the piece of paper admitting fault.

Well, the first time and last time he called, I told him to call either the insurance or the police if he have any further issue with regards to the case. Bad idea to give him my number in the first place though.

Today, will have to call up my insurer and ask them to change the guy looking after my case.. Like you, I've spoken to a few people and all agree that the insurer should never had told me to sign the piece of paper admitting fault.

A lot of people are unaware that these on-call agents may not be employees of any one insurance company and may be on a retainer from several companies. Usually in the west, they show up in a car with the decals and logo's of your insurance company. Not always the case here. In the instance of my wife's prang, the insurance agent was a bit late as he had to wake up his girlfriend and wait for her to pick him up and bring him as he didn't have a car!

I got my bike insurance thru the Yamaha dealer... their head office sorted it for me. Making me wonder now who I would call in an emergency... I think I need to check my documents!

Insurance company.

Check papers for emergency number.

Exactly the same thing happened to me. I was trying to cross to enter a business in the other side of a two lane road. Traffic was backed up to some lights, so quite unusually a car backed up so I could cross over. As I slowly moved forward a motorbike came racing up on the inside hard shoulder and slammed straight into the front of my car (which is fitted with bull bars). The male rider was uninjured, but his female pillion had a leg injury. The bike was bent too, but no damage to my car. The police arrived, and an ambulance, and we all made statements and produced our documents. The bike was uninsured, and tax out of date, and they were not wearing helmets. All my papers were good, but I didn't have comprehensive insurance. In the end, I was blamed and made to pay for the bike damage, her hospital bills and her loss of income..! We later found out that she wasn't working where she said she was, and we stopped all further payments. The police thought it was funny that I objected to the way they handled the case. I was later stopped and threatened with jail, if I didn't pay a substantial bribe. My opinion of the Thai Police was changed forever after..

I am surprised lesson you did not seem to learn was to have insurance.

And you paid medical bills which were not only free but covered by compulsory insurance

I think the lesson for everyone is this. Always have first class insurance. No matter how much it cost, as long as it's reasonable. So you don't have to worry about what happen in an accident.

I have been in Thailand for well over 20 years, and have hardly ever paid for 1st class insurance. Only once, on a car that we bought with a bank loan. The only accident I have had, the one mentioned above, cost me about the same as 1 years first class insurance premium, on just one of my cars. That makes it quite economic NOT to have first class insurance, but to drive very carefully, and accept the risk..? The girls medical bills were small, and just for A&E services. And we paid the hospital directly..

And you paid medical bills which were not only free but covered by compulsory insurance

I think the lesson for everyone is this. Always have first class insurance. No matter how much it cost, as long as it's reasonable. So you don't have to worry about what happen in an accident.

I have been in Thailand for well over 20 years, and have hardly ever paid for 1st class insurance. Only once, on a car that we bought with a bank loan. The only accident I have had, the one mentioned above, cost me about the same as 1 years first class insurance premium, on just one of my cars. That makes it quite economic NOT to have first class insurance, but to drive very carefully, and accept the risk..? The girls medical bills were small, and just for A&E services. And we paid the hospital directly..

Did you factor in cost of selling your car and moving province?

You were lucky the girl wasn't too badly injured. If she'd been killed, where would you be?

Always 1st class

I'd rather not take the risk of being involved in a nasty accident. Less stress, live happy.

Edited by fish fingers

Worst "advice" ever....

So what was the outcome ?? would be interested to know ... thanks.

So far... Still waiting for the next step actually. Since I haven't paid the fine.

All I know up till now is that the guy was discharged on the 5th of September. All his medical bills was apparently covered under "Por Ror Bor".

I knew that because my wife called the hospital to see if he was still in the hospital since we haven't heard anything from them since I've received the call from the victim's brother. Once I knew that he was discharged from the hospital, I called up my insurance guy who also did not know that he was discharged. Since that was the case, he concluded that the "Por Ror Bor" must have been enough to cover his medical bills, else, my insurer would have been notified.

Will keep this thread updated as soon as the matters progress.