RE: Seeking advice on the best method to ship fabric merchandise into Europe.

Greetings esteemed members,

Has anybody had any experience or knowledge pertaining to the exports of merchandise to Europe, namely Norway and the Netherlands?

The merchandise are made of fabrics and weighing approximately 140 - 160 grams per piece.

It would not exceed 30 KGS per shipment, on a bimonthly basis.

Can anyone advice the shipping agent/company, custom taxes and duties involved (if you don't mind), as well as the regulations?

Have been reading it online but none the wiser :(

Do note:

At the current moment I'm receiving the merchandise from Cambodia, to be repackaged and labeled here in Thailand, then shipped to the respective destinations.

Perhaps, I will be shipping it directly from Cambodia in the future if it's more convenient and feasible.

Thank you all in advance, and my utmost gratitude for inputs, advice and recommendations.

Cheers

Import Duties, taxes etc are not your concern, they would be the concern of the recipient or "importer" in the Netherlands or Norway if they are a legitimate business then of course these "fee's" etc are legitimate expenses and accounted for as such. If they are individuals they will see a dramatic increase in cost.

As for sending them, that depends entirely on how you wish to send them, how quickly they need to arrive.

Import Duties, taxes etc are not your concern, they would be the concern of the recipient or "importer" in the Netherlands or Norway if they are a legitimate business then of course these "fee's" etc are legitimate expenses and accounted for as such. If they are individuals they will see a dramatic increase in cost.

As for sending them, that depends entirely on how you wish to send them, how quickly they need to arrive.

Thanks for the reply, Charlie.

But in fact, it is my concern because it's a partnership between my friend in Norway, and myself based here.

I sourced for the merchandise from all over Asia, and she sells them direct and online.

We started very small and never on this scale before but based on the demands and needs we have grown to a stage of supplying it to retailers.

Yes, via sea will take longer but if I timed the manufacturer's production it would be delivered on time as agreed.

I'm just totally in unfamiliar territory.

Perhaps, advice me not on actual cost of freight and taxes but the processes and procedures in respect to the countries I mentioned.

Once again, I appreciate your input.

Cheers

From what place ?

Ups have thé Best Customs office in Europe. Then dhl and tnt

Check around for thé Best price for a 30 kg box

In Europe around 100 / 150 € Customs duties + VAT on déclaré price.

Thanks, fitz!

Will be shipping the merchandise from Bangkok.

So, the custom duties + vat are based of the declared wholesale price of the merchandise I shipped and not the retail price to be, right?

I'll check and compare the prices of the 3 agents you mentioned. Once again, thank you.

Warning of EMS, irregularities duly noted.

Cheers

Edited by Mothman

Yes, you declare what you paid for them, actual cost, include paperwork if possible to verify it. What they are being sold for is irrelevant and a matter for your counterpart when selling regarding VAT thresholds etc.

Remember, it will be, frieght cost + insurance + actual cost of goods x import duty + Vat when it arrives.

Yes, you declare what you paid for them, actual cost, include paperwork if possible to verify it. What they are being sold for is irrelevant and a matter for your counterpart when selling regarding VAT thresholds etc.

Remember, it will be, frieght cost + insurance + actual cost of goods x import duty + Vat when it arrives.

Noted! Thank you, Charlie.

Cheers

Custom duties are variable dépending on thé good most textile are 3 per cent plus à fixed price for custom handling

Very unlikely to be 3 percent as the OP seems to be importing finished goods (maybe he can be clearer)

More likely 25% VAT, plus duty... so maybe closer to 40%?

The best thing to do is get an expert shipping agent and let them advise you.

The post office is not a good option as more likely than not you will need to get a formal clearance which is more paperwork and the post office is not setup for this.

Edited by TravelerEastWest

Custom duties are variable dépending on thé good most textile are 3 per cent plus à fixed price for custom handling

Very unlikely to be 3 percent as the OP seems to be importing finished goods (maybe he can be clearer)

More likely 25% VAT, plus duty... so maybe closer to 40%?

The best thing to do is get an expert shipping agent and let them advise you.

The post office is not a good option as more likely than not you will need to get a formal clearance which is more paperwork and the post office is not setup for this.

Yes, the merchandise are finished and ready to wear women's garment. It's manufactured in Cambodia, and delivered to Bangkok for labeling and packaging.

Thus, it's from Bangkok to Norway and the Netherlands.

Phew... a whopping 40% makes a huge different to my margin!

Yes, I will consult a shipping agent pertaining to the taxes and clearance issues. Thanks for the input and advice!

It's what I needed to know. In order to be able to ask the right questions.

Cheers

For 30 kg you dont have other choice than the ups dhl tnt door to door

A shipping compagny Will get extra cost on arrival

Hère in bkk they would not know thé exact législation of each européen country.

U dont have to worries U pay only thé flat raté of ups for a 30 kg box.

At thé other end yôur partner Will pay his custom duty. VAT he can get back dépending how his business is registre

And thé big margin hé Will make it

In my experience you need to be a VAT registered Thia Company for import export.

For small shipments I have found TNT very good to Europe.

Thanks for the head up, terry!

I had reckoned it has to be a Thai registered company. Though, my orders are still miniscule to justify registering a company.

But my wife has a registered F&B business, wonder if it can be used for this purpose temporarily?

Anyway, once the purchase order reached a certain amount, I would rather shipped it directly from Cambodia.

Once again, thanks!

Cheers

Edited by Mothman

No in thailand u dont need anything.

But in Europe u might need à VAT registred compagny.

Last time for 30 kg tnt did not ask. But dhl for 100 kg did

Ahh...that's good to be aware of and I'm most appreciative of your suggestions and advises.

Cheers

For 30 kg you dont have other choice than the ups dhl tnt door to door

A shipping compagny Will get extra cost on arrival

Hère in bkk they would not know thé exact législation of each européen country.

U dont have to worries U pay only thé flat raté of ups for a 30 kg box.

At thé other end yôur partner Will pay his custom duty. VAT he can get back dépending how his business is registre

And thé big margin hé Will make it

Looks like the right advice. I send 30 Kg to the US by EMS and I just to declare content at the post office with my information. Custom taxes, etc, etc, is paid at destination not here, and it is not necessary to use any custom service or broker here at all, for that kind of goods send to a private party.

But...If you ask a custom broker here....its never will said that...and may complicate your life asking for what is not necessary.

You only will need to have a company, and export license if you will send in big quantities, and to an import company at destination.

Edited by Muzarella

If you found a cheap way to send packages to the Netherlands please let us know. in January my wife paid about 4000 Baht to send a 10 kg box to the Netherlands. No tax because it was just personal belongs.

Hi Paul,

I'll be glad to if I found one cheaper. Cheers