Phuket GrabTaxi cheats told 'three strikes and you're out'

webfact

Phuket GrabTaxi cheats told 'three strikes and you're out'

Saroj Kueprasertkij

1441341923_1-org.jpg

Phuket Governor Nisit Jansomwong endorsed the GrabTaxi service, but warned cheating drivers that their days were numbered. Photo: Saroj Kueprasertkij

PHUKET: -- Drivers who have registered to serve GrabTaxi customers but fail to uphold the company’s standards are on borrowed time, the Phuket Governor has warned.

“Some of the drivers only want to take passengers to or from the airport or will take only foreigner customers,” Gov Nisit Jansomwong explained to the press earlier this week.

The impact has seen the 137 taxis registered on the GrabTaxi service to operate in Phuket downscaled to an active fleet of only about 40 taxis actually in service on the island, he added.

“GrabTaxi drivers must serve all customers, including short-distance fares, such as from Patong to Rawai,” Governor Nisit warned.

Any driver found refusing fares, cheating customers or otherwise bringing the metered-taxi service into disrepute will be fined B5,000 the first time and B10,000 the second time.

“The third time they will be fired,” Gov Nisit said plainly.

The governor urged any people with complaints about the service or driver misconduct to call the government taxi-complaint hotline 1584. Suggestions for the service were welcome, too, he added.

However, Gov Nisit admitted that some of the drivers may be not so familiar to the new GrabTaxi hailing system.

“The company will hold another free training course for these drivers very soon,” he said.

Phuket Land Transportation Office (PLTO) Chief Teerayuth Prasertphol urged people to use GrabTaxi as a way to revolutionise the taxi industry in Phuket.

“By using this metered-taxi hailing system, we can help stop passengers from being cheated by drivers or being unable to find a taxi in Phuket to take them where they want to go,” he said.

Gov Nisit chimed in that he personally endorses, and uses, the service.

“I use this app. Right now, I can see there are 22 taxis in service,” he said.

“I recently hailed a taxi to take me from the Phuket Damrongtham Center [at Provincial Hall] to Phuket Airport. It showed me the distance of 30.37 km. The cost was about B414.”

Efforts are underway to expand the GrabTaxi fleet by including non-metered taxis registered with “green license plates”, Gov Nisit added.

“Green plate taxi drivers are invited to join GrabTaxi to offer high-quality taxi services,” he said, adding that if the project gains traction, the service will be branded as “GrabCar”.

“This service will divided into two categories. Premium GrabCar service will provide luxury cars and Eco GrabCar services will be less luxury, but still very comfortable,” he said.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-grabtaxi-cheats-told-three-strikes-and-youre-out-53944.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-09-04

Here's, another angle:

Friend was in the lobby of a hotel in BKK, suddenly severe argument outside the front door, taxi driver was demanding 50Baht more because his taxi has several grab taxi stickers.

Turns out the passenger flagged the taxi down on the side of the road, did not call grab taxi to order a taxi.

Hotel staff call grab taxi for advice. Grab taxi person says don't pay, there is only a service charge if the cab is ordered by contact with the grab taxi centre.

Hotel staff tell the diver to disappear.

Since the last update the Grabtaxi-App is unusable. The search-for-destination function is broken and tries to send me to Phuket International Airport somewhere in Malaysia. The UI is broken, just forget it. I changed my rating on Play Store drastically, if there is no update soon, it will be uninstalled.

'... “GrabTaxi drivers must serve all customers, including short-distance fares, such as from Patong to Rawai,” Governor Nisit warned. Any driver found refusing fares, cheating customers or otherwise bringing the metered-taxi service into disrepute will be fined B5,000 the first time and B10,000 the second time.' A different approach - seemingly - to the Bangkok variant.

this is the fat slug who in office allowed police to threaten the Australian honorary consul and said NOTHING wrong.

this is the fat corrupt slug who is obviously not getting a cut only from over zealous developers. DEVIL OPERS!

this is the fat slug who thinks raising prices brings back tourists.

I CANT WAIT to see Phuket die. Serves them right. After the Tsunami they were nice ... now they are scabs.

Isn't it remarkable that GrabTaxi seems to run smoothly in all the markets it serves, except in Phuket? Two-thirds of all service providers disqualified after only a couple of months! Certainly seems consistent with Phuket's reputation as the scam capital of Thailand.

And even when it works according to plan - THB 414 is more than double what a 31km ride would cost in Bangkok, Mr. Governor. When are we going to work on this issue? Are the cars or the fuel twice as expensive in Phuket? Of course not! So where does all that extra money go?

Since the last update the Grabtaxi-App is unusable. The search-for-destination function is broken and tries to send me to Phuket International Airport somewhere in Malaysia. The UI is broken, just forget it. I changed my rating on Play Store drastically, if there is no update soon, it will be uninstalled.

I seem to be unable to set the pick-up position to my home, where I actually am and it forces a nearby residential village.... I don't want to walk there!

this is the fat slug who in office allowed police to threaten the Australian honorary consul and said NOTHING wrong.

this is the fat corrupt slug who is obviously not getting a cut only from over zealous developers. DEVIL OPERS!

this is the fat slug who thinks raising prices brings back tourists.

I CANT WAIT to see Phuket die. Serves them right. After the Tsunami they were nice ... now they are scabs.

It is all about ME. What's in it ($) for ME. ME = Governor. Just another big talker to impress the tourists. He may be a big fish in a little pond but he is nothing in the big pond!

In this day and age of instant media connections (mobile/cell phones) these idiots just do not seem to grasp the fact that the "bad news" can get around quick. The Chinese tourist will soon learn. coffee1.gif

Isn't it remarkable that GrabTaxi seems to run smoothly in all the markets it serves, except in Phuket? Two-thirds of all service providers disqualified after only a couple of months! Certainly seems consistent with Phuket's reputation as the scam capital of Thailand.

And even when it works according to plan - THB 414 is more than double what a 31km ride would cost in Bangkok, Mr. Governor. When are we going to work on this issue? Are the cars or the fuel twice as expensive in Phuket? Of course not! So where does all that extra money go?

"So where does all that extra money go?" the extra money goes to the various "Associations" and "Clubs" that the operators belong to, that allow them to charge such ridiculous prices, and to eliminate any competition.

No doubt, some of it is sent up the "tea chain."

It is so big here that the Thai Military did not even mention even trying to dismantle it.

"Certainly seems consistent with Phuket's reputation as the scam capital of Thailand." - in many cases, transport can be the biggest expense on a holiday to Phuket. In my opinion, it is the main reason the western tourist market has been detouring Phuket in recent times.

Edited by NamKangMan

'three strikes and you pay a BIG "penalty" fee to us and you're still inn" would be a honest statement.

Seriously? The last person in Thailand I believe in is the governor of Phuket.

Edited by bander

Down in the governors pocket? Top of the food chain last time I checked.

How about "one strike and you're out"? These people need to grow up.

Can't get a fine out of them if they are not working.You need to know how Thailand works.Roads for eg,why do it once and cream money off the top,when you can redo a road every 2-3 years and get 2-3 times the "profit".This also keeps unemployment low.It's just the taxpayer that gets screwed over,same as any country.

Down in the governors pocket? Top of the food chain last time I checked.

The food chain extends all the way to BKK.

I noticed that airport-Bangtao ride is now 700 baht via GrabTaxi, i.e. same price as at the airport taxi stand. So, what's the point of GrabTaxi here once again?

"So, what's the point of GrabTaxi here once again?" - there is no point. It was never going to work.

There are no market forces effecting the transport industry on Phuket, and I can't see there ever will be, in the future.