Firefox is unable to update

Anthony5

The below message is what pops up frequently for the past month or so.

I'm currently on FF 40.0.3 and when I do an update check it says I'm currently up to date.

The past 4 versions have I update manually, that means downloaded the installer and installed a new version on top of the previous one.

I can sense when there is a new update available, as my browser will close unexpectedly a few times a day, and soon after I will get a pop up as below.

post-222439-0-70819200-1441379950_thumb.

As you've gone from using a 3G Internet Connection to a Cable DOCSIS

...you should notice a lot of previous issues go away, only to be replaced by completely different issues.

Manually selecting About in FireFox should trigger an automatic check and update.

If FireFox continues to have issues determining then automatically downloading and installing FF updates then you may want to explore using Google Public DNS (rather than the ISP provided default DNS).

About_Firefox_ani.gif

As you've gone from using a 3G Internet Connection to a Cable DOCSIS

...you should notice a lot of previous issues go away, only to be replaced by completely different issues.

Manually selecting About in FireFox should trigger an automatic check and update.

If FireFox continues to have issues determining then automatically downloading and installing FF updates then you may want to explore using Google Public DNS (rather than the ISP provided default DNS).

About_Firefox_ani.gif

I had the problem with 3G and now with cable internet.

Selecting "about" indeed triggers a check and gives as result, firefox is up to date.

I just look at the FF website and indeed I have the latest version, but then why I get the pop up just an hour ago.

I Don't know the answer to that one.

just on another question about firefox ...

my firefox is slow , ' not responding ' most times. unresponsive script error ....

25-30 seconds to open after clicking on the firefox icon.

how do you find firefox ?

The same.

giddyup,

your firefox needs to be refreshed,click on the 4bars in the upper right hand corner

box opens up,then click the "?" mark

next click "troubleshooting information"

then click under "Give Firefox a tune up" click "refresh firefox"

use it all the time when firefox slows down

giddyup,

your firefox needs to be refreshed,click on the 4bars in the upper right hand corner

box opens up,then click the "?" mark

next click "troubleshooting information"

then click under "Give Firefox a tune up" click "refresh firefox"

use it all the time when firefox slows down

Thanks for the tip, but I do use that function from time to time, but find it makes little difference. Have run CC Cleaner regularly, but my system is very slow, but I live with it.

If FireFox is slow because your SYSTEM PC is slow then I'm not sure what you expect.

Some people recommend doing an entire system wipe and re-install to remake your plastic friend in that like-new state.

You don't need high specs to run Firefox

It runs blazing quick on any of my laptops

The oldest being a hp pavilion 17" from 2009

That only has 2.26ghz cpu and 4gb and a 500gb 5400rpm hdd and can boot windows 10 in 37 seconds too

I think his problem is optimisation rather than sub standard hardware but of course, better hardware never hurts :)

I would start work cccleaner and then a good uninstaller and be ruthless, anything you basically never use can go

Then disable all the unnecessarys tart up processes and background process running in the background (google them)

Then restart and and uninstall. Firefox and then re download the latest version (don't use the version you have already downloaded when it was first installed)

Restart again and clean the registry with ccleaner

That should be it, don't add in any browser add ons yet, if it's working

Add them slowly

Add 1 and use browser for 2-3days

If no problems, add another etc etc

If all that didn't work out it might be time to turn the key and press the nuclear button (format drive and reinstall) but normally that would be enough to regain control of windows and make it a bit speedy again :)