Tourist Visa

I just sent in my app for a tourist visa to the Thai Embassy in D.C. (Have been doing this for years.) They just called to let me know that now the visa will expire 90 days from when they issue it. So, I was told, you can apply for 4, 5, 6, "however many entries you want" (I applied for 2 entries), but the visa will expire completely in 90 days. Before, I was told you had to "use" the first entry w/in the 90 day expiration date. WHY would you get a multiple entry visa if the entire thing expires in 90 days?? (It doesn't put me out too much, considering my trip is 5 months. I get 60 days on arrival, then 30 day extension, then one border run should give me 60 more days IF I go/return within the 90 days, RIGHT?? Thanks for any feedback.

I just sent in my app for a tourist visa to the Thai Embassy in D.C. (Have been doing this for years.) They just called to let me know that now the visa will expire 90 days from when they issue it. So, I was told, you can apply for 4, 5, 6, "however many entries you want" (I applied for 2 entries), but the visa will expire completely in 90 days. Before, I was told you had to "use" the first entry w/in the 90 day expiration date. WHY would you get a multiple entry visa if the entire thing expires in 90 days?? (It doesn't put me out too much, considering my trip is 5 months. I get 60 days on arrival, then 30 day extension, then one border run should give me 60 more days IF I go/return within the 90 days, RIGHT?? Thanks for any feedback.

As far as i know from my experience ( iam no expert) but this is normal you just have to have your last entry "activated" or whatever before the 90 days is up. So just make sure the days fall properly ( ie entry, 60 days then get 30 extension and do a run to activate your 2nd one, thats 5 months roughly, also you can get an extention.) the thing that gets me is how do you use 3 of them.. because with extentions dont you go over before you can get the 3rd one started up?

See also General information:

7. Please note that the period of visa validity is different from the period of stay. The visa validity is a period during which a visa can be used to enter Thailand. Generally, the validity of a visa is 3 months, but in some cases, we also issue visas valid for 6 months or 1 year. The validity of a visa is granted by the Embassy or Consulate-General and shown in the visa. The period of stay depends on the type of visa and is granted by an immigration officer upon arrival at the port of entry. For example, the period of stay for a transit visa does not exceed 30 days, for a tourist visa does not exceed 60 days and for a non-immigrant visa does not exceed 90 days from the arrival date. Travellers who wish to stay longer than such period may apply for extension of stay at offices of the Immigration Bureau in Bangkok, located in Soi Suan Plu, South Sathorn Road, Bangkok 10120, Tel 02-2873101-10 or at an Immigration office in the provinces. For information on application for extension of stay, please see the website of the Immigration Bureau at www.immigration.go.th
Edited by vinny

I just sent in my app for a tourist visa to the Thai Embassy in D.C. (Have been doing this for years.) They just called to let me know that now the visa will expire 90 days from when they issue it. So, I was told, you can apply for 4, 5, 6, "however many entries you want" (I applied for 2 entries), but the visa will expire completely in 90 days.
This is silly. Next time, call an honorary consulate, e.g. Denver or Chicago, and see if they will give you the standard 6-month validity for a tourist visa valid for more than one entry.

---------------

Maestro

I just sent in my app for a tourist visa to the Thai Embassy in D.C. (Have been doing this for years.) They just called to let me know that now the visa will expire 90 days from when they issue it. So, I was told, you can apply for 4, 5, 6, "however many entries you want" (I applied for 2 entries), but the visa will expire completely in 90 days.
This is silly. Next time, call an honorary consulate, e.g. Denver or Chicago, and see if they will give you the standard 6-month validity for a tourist visa valid for more than one entry.

---------------

Maestro

Best advice :o

Maestro--Thank you. I agree it's ridiculous. I forgot to say in my original post that I have ALWAYS gotten 6 months validity with double entries. The woman who called was very nice, said "They made mistake to your benefit". I have never had trouble with the embassy and figured D.C. was the best place.

MFA website as of 26 September (there are a number of changes including non immigrant O multi now being 3 months (although one year may also still be issued):

2. TOURIST VISA

1. REQUIREMENT

This type of visa is issued to applicants who wish to enter the Kingdom for tourism purposes .

2. DOCUMENTS REQUIRED

- Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months

- Visa application form completely filled out

- Recent( 4 x 6 cm.) photograph of the applicant

- Evidence of travel from Thailand (air ticket paid in full)

- Evidence of adequate finance (20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family)

- Consular officers reserve the rights to request additional documents as deemed necessary

3. VISA FEE

1,000 Baht per entry

(Visa fee may be changed without prior notice)

4. VALIDITY OF A VISA

The validity of a visa is three months.

5. PERIOD OF STAY

Upon arrival, travellers with this type of visa will be permitted to stay in the Kingdom of Thailand for a period not exceeding 60 days.

so a Tourist (more then one anyway) should be valid for 6 months ? or no

I guess it "should" be valid for 3 (according to Embassy and MFA sites), and I lucked out before??? It still doesn't make sense with the dates. Have other people gotten 3 or 6 months for dual entry tourist visa?

The old norm was 3 months for single entry tourist visa and 6 months for 2,3,4 entry.

The tourist visa of more than one entry is designed for travelers going to other countries and returning to Thailand for short periods rather than being a means to remain in Thailand so 3 months probably fits most tourists.

The old norm was 3 months for single entry tourist visa and 6 months for 2,3,4 entry.

The tourist visa of more than one entry is designed for travelers going to other countries and returning to Thailand for short periods rather than being a means to remain in Thailand so 3 months probably fits most tourists.

Still same same Lop :o

I get 60 days on arrival, then 30 day extension, then one border run should give me 60 more days IF I go/return within the 90 days, RIGHT?? Thanks for any feedback.

Make sure you understand what Vinny is pointing out. Your 90 day clock starts the day the Embassy issues your visa (not the day you're stamped into Thailand). You can still get 150 days in Thailand, but you'll have to do your border run before your visa expires (which means no 30 day extension against your first entry -- do the math). So, you apply for a 30 day extension at the end of your *second* 60-day entry (yes, visa is expired by then, but extensions are based on valid entry stamps, not visa expiration date).

I'm assuming you'll enter Thailand 30 days, or less, from date of visa issue. If not, your 150-day dream vacation is reduced day-for-day.

Oh, and some poster mentioned that 30-day extensions are no longer a done deal, at least at some Immigration Offices.