ต่ำช้า / Dtamcha

mosquitoman

I came across the word ต่ำช้า / Dtamcha during my Thai lessons yesterday, however my teacher was unable to give me a satisfactory definition.

My understanding is that the word is derogatory, and is used to describe a person as common or of a low caste, am I right or can some one please shed more light.

Many thanks

I came across the word ต่ำช้า / Dtamcha during my Thai lessons yesterday, however my teacher was unable to give me a satisfactory definition.

My understanding is that the word is derogatory, and is used to describe a person as common or of a low caste, am I right or can some one please shed more light.

Many thanks

ต่ำช้า = gross

My English vocab is limited, may be some other word can better describe.

From the definition I found on thai2english.com, it sounds like something you would use about villains, rapists, thieves etc. Hopefully not about people who are just of a lower social standing.

There is no 'caste' system in Thailand although there is a class system. Castes are a much more rigid way of regulating life with various taboos, and allow no upward mobility whatsoever.

ต่ำช้า

[ ADV ] basely ; immorally ; badly

[ ADJ ] mean ; base ; despicable ; vicious ; vile ; villainous ; wicked

Like M_S above my translator gave lots of adjectives:

depraved, ignoble [?], miscreant, nefarious, obscene, scurrilous, scurvy [?], slavish, squalid, ungenerous, vile, vulgar, base, beastly, blackhearted, caddish.

Lots to choose from there...

The meaning is 'despicable', an act that is morally outrageous, it's nothing to do with class.

For example- เขาขมขื๋นเด็กๆเเละตีเเม่เขาเป็นพฤติกรรมที่เลวทรามตำช้า khao khomkheun dek lae dtee mare pen preudtikam laew sam dtamchar. He rapes children and hits his mother, it's despicable.