Can I get a Vietnam and Philippines tourist visa just by walking into their embassy in bangkok?

I will be in Bangkok for a while soon and want to travel to those 2 countries for a week or so at a time.

I have the option of sending my passport to their embassy in Australia by mail but prefer not to.

I have searched posts but of course things change rapidly and there are many old posts.

So is it practical to just walk in and get my passport stamped or are there all sorts of practical problems like long queues, language etc

They might expect you to speak English if not Thai but other than that should not be any language issues. Can not answer time issues but do not believe there would be much of a problem at either place (do you even need for Philippines?)

You also have visa on arrival to Vietnam on Oz passport if you get letter of approval on-line - believe there are at least two firms selling - this is one with details for your passport.

https://vietnamvisa.govt.vn/australian-citizens/

-----------------------

You can get a visa to Vietnam (30 days I believe) at the Vietnamese embassy.

Fee depends on country, for U.S national is $45 and process takes 2 days for "express" service or "normal" service pick up passport on 3rd day.

You need to leave passport for which they issue a receipt for you to carry in lieu of your passport.

The "letter of approval referred to above is NOT a visa.....it merely gets you on the approval list and you still have to pay a "stamp fee" on arrival by waiting in a queue to pay the fee and get the real visa stamp..

Either way you will need a page free in your passport for the full page visa form.

The "letter of approval referred to above is NOT a visa.....it merely gets you on the approval list and you still have to pay a "stamp fee" on arrival by waiting in a queue to pay the fee and get the real visa stamp..

Either way you will need a page free in your passport for the full page visa form.

I am trying to avoid queues at Ho Chi Minh upon arrival.

So are you saying I *cannot* get my passport stamped at the Vietnam embassy in Bangkok and so sail thru to my baggage no matter what I do?

I just did Vietnam.

You cannot just get visa on arrival like turning up at immigration at airport in Bangkok.

First you need an approval letter that you do online, very simple and costs around US$18. With this approval letter will be the visa application. Fill that in.

Second you get 2 passport photos.

Third you turn up at HCM airport and at the left side of immigration is a window for the visa. Give them your passport and visa application form, photos and US$45.

If you dont have the photos they will take for you for US$5. They also have extra forms if you lose yours.

From the time I got to the window to the time i got the visa was 5 minutes.

The visa is for 30 days but not multiple entry. Also you can only get them at HCM, Hanoi, Danang airport entry points.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

I am trying to avoid queues at Ho Chi Minh upon arrival.

So are you saying I *cannot* get my passport stamped at the Vietnam embassy in Bangkok and so sail thru to my baggage no matter what I do?

I haven't bothered reading all the posts.....some just stupid....like ..I think au can get 15 day exempt. NO

As for avoiding queue ...what are you talking about. Its normally about 20 minutes.

You apply for "letter of approval" online. Takes about 24/48 hours. I go often. Pm me if you want good company. Approx 20aud. The actual visa is 45 USD. Painless process.

You can get your visa to HCMC in bkk if you want to avoid 20 mins at airport. Oh but wait ...you have to go to Vietnam consulate in bkk ....and not sure ...but you might even need to pick up next day. I wouldn't know because its a brain dead option.