Manheim Car and M/cycle auctions in CM

mamborobert

Has anybody any experience with Manheim auctions of vehices in CM. They have another one coming up in early October and I am on the lookout for a newer set of wheels, I know they are popular and a good bargain can be had on some repos from their Bangkok events but just wondered if anyone had any first hand knowledge or experience of their CM operations, Their catalogue is not out yet so I am trying to get a feel as to how big it usually is, what the vehicle range is, general age and standard of vehicle etc. and if it a dud then will look sooner and elsewhere but given that it is coming up thought I would ask the TV gurus.

Been to the Manheim auction in Bangkok thinking, like you, I would pick up a bargain....

Boy, was I wrong! Cars a few years old with quite a few kilometers on them were going for 90% of what a new one would cost! Question I had at the time was "why would anybody buy a used car with miles on it when you can buy new for just a little more ?" ....AND you know the history of the new car ...NO Problems.....But people obviously were buying them ...

I eventually did buy a Truck ...A NEW one at the dealer with 3 miles on it and a FULL warranty. Paid a little more than I would have at the auction but well worth the peace of mind.

Can't imagine Manheim in CM is any better....

But all the best of luck in buying a used car in Thailand .....Accident??? Altered odometer???? various other problems?????

Thanks for that.....and you are more than right on the risks involved,

I was curious as to whether there were more finance repos in CM (so hopefully newer less mileage) now that the initial rush of blood purchases with the government subsidy hit the wall of repayment reality.

I gather Toyota Sure have first stab at vehicles Toyota finance so I imagine there would be some age/mileage or worse still on the newer vehicles "issues" if Toyota Sure have passed on them.

Am by no means locked into an auction or indeed second but personally have never valued cars that much more than something to get you from A to B and hence dropping dollars on them has always been an issue for me.

I also imagine that in Thailand any "bargain" may well have been picked up pre auction by bank/auction/finance etc staff and relatives.

Nevertheless I remain curious about the size/quality/range on offer now in CM so if anyone has been to one please chip in.

Where is Manheim auctions located?

There is a car/motor cycle auction place on Hang Dong Road just inside the outer ring road? Does anyone know the web site for this auction place?

As far as the place I Hang Dong is concerned I believe you are talking about this company that runs auctions throughout Thailand.

http://union-auction.com/en/home/newwebdesign1/index.aspx

Likewise Manheim

http://www.manheimthailand.com/en/site/about_manheim/index

As mentioned earlier there are some ridiculous estimates on the cars (including ones 20 years old that would be lucky to sell at all) so largely ignore this aspect.

Archived