British academic detained in Thailand after exposing official as plagiarist

webfact

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if he's a British journalist, he probably stole the report himself by hacking a mobile phone. Ship him back to the UK where he can join his brothers in arms in jail.

He's not and if that is meant to be humorous it is an EPIC fail...... unsure.png

However the Editor of the original Independent article quoted needs to be hung out to dry. I could not believe how many simple errors there were in it.

General! Where are you? Here's BLATANT corruption and malfeasance and misuse of position. Not to mention the education corruption side of it.

If you want any credibility, arrest this Supachai immediately, release Dr Ellis immediately with profound apologies and compensation, and send a clear message that corruption will not be tolerated.

I predict that this is another thread in which all TVF members will been in agreement and outraged at this travesty.

Here! Here!

Thailand, please do the right thing!

General, show Thailand and the world that you are a leader that follows through on your promises and that you do indeed have integrity!

If someone exposes ANYTHING that is deemed "defamation" it is against the law. That is Thailand. A crazy country. Now let the whiners " I hate Farang who put down Thailand" come out!

Edited by kingalfred

Notice how casually the perp gets back on the bike, he's not concerned anyone is going to try stop him. Can't say I would either as he could be packing and he'd no doubt rather kill someone than be apprehended for rocking (if in a major way) a guy's car.

General! Where are you? Here's BLATANT corruption and malfeasance and misuse of position. Not to mention the education corruption side of it.

If you want any credibility, arrest this Supachai immediately, release Dr Ellis immediately with profound apologies and compensation, and send a clear message that corruption will not be tolerated.

I predict that this is another thread in which all TVF members will been in agreement and outraged at this travesty.

Here! Here!

Thailand, please do the right thing!

General, show Thailand and the world that you are a leader that follows through on your promises and that you do indeed have integrity!

In the mean time I will not hold my breath.

Stronger man than me. Amazing stuff. Worth a watch:

Wow! Gusty guy! clap2.gifclap2.gif Certainly worth watching!

I sure hope that justice prevails in this clear case of fraud and corruption! It could be a landmark case for the current leadership if it does!!

If someone exposes ANYTHING that is deemed "defamation" it is against the law. That is Thailand. A crazy country. Now let the whiners " I hate Farang who put down Thailand" come out!

The defamation law here is ridiculous, just like LM, but I can't see it changing any time soon. That said, the recent Phuket verdict offers some hope.

Well, if he's a British journalist, he probably stole the report himself by hacking a mobile phone. Ship him back to the UK where he can join his brothers in arms in jail.

b

I've been watching your recent posts and, you know, there is help out there for people like you. Don't know if you have dyslexia, are just illiterate , problems with comprehension, or maybe you are just plain dumb.

The man is not a journalist, nowhere does it allude to him being a journalist. I struggle to work out what the hell you are on about with this asinine train of thought.

One would hope the new TV owners might be sympathetic in your case

Cheating and plagiarism is bread into the students at an early age in learning... maybe its a cultural thing now... I don't know...

but the rest of the world frowns down on it and one loses their learning abilities and status in life...even if they copy from the internet even now(where content is usually free), but the matter is.... you didn't write it, you didn't own it...its not from your brain...and you do not deserve any of the credit. So I hope this can establish precedence in Thailand, now that they are part of the AEC to change their unacceptable ways.

About time the British embassy warned Thailand that they will slap a travel advisory on Thailand if he is not released immediately.

Sadly the British Embassy in Bangkok is staffed by an elite group of fence sitters and problem dodgers who are more inclined attend white wine and cheese events than get involved with the conflicts of their nationals.

I totally agree that the British Ambassador should put the junta peacock's on notice that this sort of vindictive and baseless attack only highlights the continued shortcomings of this nation.

The defamation law here is ridiculous, just like LM, but I can't see it changing any time soon. That said, the recent Phuket verdict offers some hope.

The Phuket verdict came about as a result of massive and negative international pressure and attention. Call me a cynic but if that had not been the case I'm pretty sure they would have locked them up and thrown away the key.

Edited by MZurf

Looks like this has been going on for awhile. This Thai 'academics' reach and money go so far that he can have a man arrested at the airport?

Time to step up general, your are apparently Mr Anti Corruption. Here is a big case for you (after failing with Koh Tao). There is lots of evidence here, steam in and arrest that academic, send him on trial for threatening this man and release the British guy at once. Here is a golden opportunity general. I won't hold my breath though, as this guy probably has the right connections.

What a shame for this country.

He didn't do anything wrong, he just blamed and exposed the truth.

The UK Embassy should take some real actions.

I agree in the old days we would have sent a gun boat blasted a couple of hundred of the locals into oblivion along with their shacks and that ensured instant compliance. Now where is my G & T?

From the Guardian's version of the story:

"My home has undergone surveillance by individuals with false ID and false number plates, anonymous letters, long-running tax inspections, investigation of my Thai citizenship, 480 telephone death threats, and rock attacks on my car."

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/sep/06/uk-academic-wyn-ellis-bangkok-airport-supachai-lorlowhakarn

I suggest... before more comments arise... that more people should read that article provided with that link.

assuming that this is the nearest to the reality...

TV... don't cry in the wind...

An obvious clash between ideals of freedom and fairness and the rule of (civil) law, and ancient asian cultural sentiment about "losing face". And also just plain simple embarrassment and vindictiveness of the guy caught with his hand in the cookie jar. . How ironic that Thailand's retaliation against this man will cause them to lose even more face in the eyes of the free world. However, Thailand is not the only country that shoots itself in the foot in this way. The USA has for the longest time declared minorities, immigrants, political activists, refugees, and now Muslims to be second class citizens deserving of persecution, jail, and deportation, so we western countries shouldn't be so arrogant when we point our fingers at Thailand. Our president Nixon in the 1970s tried to gather dirt on John Lennon because of his peace activism, and tried to deport him, but he won his case in court, as he won the hearts of young people everywhere through his music. These clashes (in Thailand) will bring issues to the forefront where the nation as a whole can decide to move forward or backward or stand still while the rest of the world overtakes them. The same thing happens everywhere, someone rocks the boat, issues rise up into public view, and there is a window of opportunity to act for the greater good, or shove the issues back down into the mud. Let's see what the general does. I would call this a litmus test of his leadership.

Edited by gmf1313

The saddest thing about this is that Thailand gvnt and Thais take this in their stride. Working with the natives you always have to be a little suspicious if something is written well in English.

8 times out of 10 it will be copied from somewhere, if its in house that is often ok, but they have a habit of submitting bits cpied and pasted from elsewhere , wioth no reference and no idea why the stupid farang would get so upset about this.

This is nothing to do with first world standards, you can get a good education in Thailand depending on where you go, its just, no one seems to pick the buggers up on lack of reference plagiarism etc.

Also know a few from interenational unis, the majority who go there are good scholars, honest and iontelligent, a few have had rich parents pay the way through the system, then paid for the place abroad. often from the well known paid for I hear thamasat does things like this. you meet them in the uni and they are struggling when they're picked up on plagiarism and references.