Otocinclus arnoldi

Mosha

• 2 weeks later...

I am sure I have seen Otocinclus species in my local Aquarium shop,did not take

that much notice so don't know if they were arnoldi, unless its this particular fish

you want,and not just an algae cleaner, Crossocheilus siamensis is readily available,

also cheaper and will do a better job I think.

regards Worgeordie

The algae eaters are only truly algae feeders as juveniles, as they get older they turn more to parasitism, rasping at fish scales and slime.

But otos live extremely shortened lives in aquariums for unknown reasons, believed to die because wild food (prbly specific local algae) is unavailable in our aquaria.

Bristlenoses, twig cats etc stay fairly small, are related to otos, and thrive so much better. Suckermouths aren't just the huge plecs and little otos.

• 3 weeks later...

The algae eaters are only truly algae feeders as juveniles, as they get older they turn more to parasitism, rasping at fish scales and slime.

But otos live extremely shortened lives in aquariums for unknown reasons, believed to die because wild food (prbly specific local algae) is unavailable in our aquaria.

Bristlenoses, twig cats etc stay fairly small, are related to otos, and thrive so much better. Suckermouths aren't just the huge plecs and little otos.

Like you I also don`t recommend introducting any breed of sucker fish into a tank or pond with other fish and I speak from experience.

The sucker fish have a habit of latching on to other fish, seriously injuring and eventually killing them. I learned this lesson the hard way, after I lost several coy carp over a period of 3 months after I placed 2 sucker fish into the tank.