Dengue in CM?

junglechef

Is there a website or place to find latest local data in dengue in CM?

Found these but don't know if they means it's a high or low chance to get.

http://www.healthmap.org/dengue/en/

http://outbreaknewstoday.com/dengue-in-thailand-tops-50000-cases-81268/

Maybe someone has first hand knowledge of people contracting it in CM recently.

Any help would be appreciated.

JC

Thanks, interested in chance to get it today or recent numbers of infected people etc. in Chiang Mai.

Any recent and local data or info?

The Chiang Mai City Life site has published an article with the stats you are looking for

They have quoted an official saying that up to 2500 will have been diagnosed with Dengue by October

Take precautions against being bitten in the day by the Aedes mosquito.

We have a lot of mosquitos, the smaller ones, but now also the striped dengue ones south of the airport. Nobody sprays, so I'm surprised that nobody really get sick "officially". Would be a no go in any other major city to ignore it, in CNX that's part of life. So cross your fingers.

Edited by MadMac

Thanks, interested in chance to get it today or recent numbers of infected people etc. in Chiang Mai.

The Chiang Mai City Life site has published an article with the stats you are looking for

They have quoted an official saying that up to 2500 will have been diagnosed with Dengue by October

http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/dengue-fever-patients-increase-after-erratic-rainfall/

As I'm not a statistician but would like to know if the stated 16,000 cases (reported of of course) is significant.

I figure using a population of 2 million (one of many estimates I picked) that would be 1 out 12,500 ppl in CM per month. No idea if that's right or if that's a lot.

Anyone know how to extrapolate this info with the given data?

Edited by junglechef

@northernjohn: the more densely populated an area, the bigger the likelihood you get it. Simply because the infection goes from human to mosquito and back to next human. And Mosquitos not travel far. They say no more than 100meters. Best to protect yourself from getting bitten with known measures, clothing, mosquito screens on all windows and doors, mosquito lamps, etc.

I have contracted it once, maybe twice (did not go to hospital 2d time) while living in CM. May have contracted it while travelling to Mae Hong Son. Like a bad flu for a week.

2 times for me too.
And it was a rather less annoying flu. Just unusual tiredness and loss of appetite (also very unusual to me smile.png) for a week.
But when we read regularly that some drown in their bathtubs we will not miss the next alarmist warnings.
Edited by happy Joe

http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/dengue-fever-patients-increase-after-erratic-rainfall/

As I'm not a statistician but would like to know if the stated 16,000 cases (reported of of course) is significant.

I figure using a population of 2 million (one of many estimates I picked) that would be 1 out 12,500 ppl in CM per month. No idea if that's right or if that's a lot.

Many people just tough it out or put it down to a bad dose of the flu. The second bout is when they really get sick and it is reported.

Figures are to keep statisticians in a job. The answer you are looking for is yes, you can get dengue in Chiang Mai and it is not much fun. I had a recurring bout, thought I was over it and down I went again.

How many people who get dengue fever actually get tested to confirm it? Is it not known as"bone breaking disease" to the locals, you feel like your bones are breaking. Very serious. The people i know who have had dengue have been admitted to hospital. The amount of farangs and backpackers i have known over the years who get dengue seems disproportionately large to me. All self diagnosed and none of their symptoms could be described as "bone breaking".

How many people who get dengue fever actually get tested to confirm it? Is it not known as"bone breaking disease" to the locals, you feel like your bones are breaking. Very serious. The people i know who have had dengue have been admitted to hospital. The amount of farangs and backpackers i have known over the years who get dengue seems disproportionately large to me. All self diagnosed and none of their symptoms could be described as "bone breaking".

My case of dengue was identified via a blood test at Chiang Mai Ram Hospital. I was feeling poorly on a Sunday, went to Ram, and within two hours had the diagnosis. Paracetamol was prescribed. As I said earlier, it was just like a case of flu for a week. I was able to go to class every day. Dengue seems to vary wildly in its effects. Some 1% die, for the majority it's "meh".

Many people just tough it out or put it down to a bad dose of the flu. The second bout is when they really get sick and it is reported.

Figures are to keep statisticians in a job. The answer you are looking for is yes, you can get dengue in Chiang Mai and it is not much fun. I had a recurring bout, thought I was over it and down I went again.

I'm aware that one can get dengue or I wouldn't have asked in the first place for more info on how many people have gotten it etc. .

So no the answer I'm looking for is not "yes" but stats such as "latest local data" as I asked in the OP.

Perhaps figured are to keep statistician employed but I believe they are sometimes used by other people for other purposes, like for instance for the reason I am interested in compiling them.

Waking up to TV sometimes just makes me want to go back to bed smile.png

Thanks everyone else who posted the helpful replies

Edited by junglechef

I'm aware that one can get dengue or I wouldn't have asked in the first place for more info on how many people have gotten it etc. .

So no the answer I'm looking for is not "yes" but stats such as "latest local data" as I asked in the OP.

Perhaps figured are to keep statistician employed but I believe they are sometimes used by other people for other purposes, like for instance for the reason I am interested in compiling them.

Waking up to TV sometimes just makes me want to go back to bed smile.png

Thanks everyone else who posted the helpful replies

I was not trying to be unhelpful but point out that the statistics would not provide a realistic figure as a considerable number of people who contract Dengue, anecdotally, don't seek treatment.

I apologise if my clumsy attempt to add something to the discussion so offended you.

As Disraeli said: 'There are three types of lies - lies, damn lies and statistics'.

My daughter's school has just sent out a note informing that one of the students has gone down with Dengue, and that we should be on the lookout--the school is near Big C but no idea where the pupil was living, which is probably where it was contracted. it is about at the moment.

Maybe I am being dumb but I am struggling to see how stats will help you. Especially as it is seriously under reported. Not everyone goes to hospital with Dengue. I had daily home visits for 3 weeks from a thai doctor friend but I doubt I got into the stats. I suspect many locals never report dengue but know how to cope with it.

The doc only threatened to admit me to hospital to go on a drip, after 3 weeks of not eating (or drinking more than enough to swallow paracetamol). Seems dramatic but you can lose the will to live. 3 weeks of temps around 41c, permanent nausea like bad seasickness, and your systems start to shut down, or whatever the right medical terms are.. It was great for my weight loss though!!

So now I live 12 floors up and hardly ever see a mozzie, and use spray when I am out but strangely I see very few mozzies now - unless I am in a thai home in the evening when they keep the doors open and lights on, but close the mozzie screens on the windows!! Hmm.

It seems you really want to go down the stats route but it is clear that dengue mozzies are around and it only takes one....So,. important for kids and adults to use anti-mozzie creams/spray, and hope they bite someone else who doesnt take that care.

We have a lot of mosquitos, the smaller ones, but now also the striped dengue ones south of the airport. Nobody sprays, so I'm surprised that nobody really get sick "officially". Would be a no go in any other major city to ignore it, in CNX that's part of life. So cross your fingers.

So, if it has a striped body, that's the dengue carrier type? One of those was on my leg yesterday preparing to drill, but I got it first.

Several cases at the time being in our nearby village, Saraphi district. Diagnozed and treated (don't know how, outpatient) by hospitals. Symptoms similar to a flu. No really serious cases afaik. Most of them children/youngsters whose parents/relatives are members of our local bike community, so I hear about them. Parents don't seem too worried, too.
Spotting more tiger mossies than average; normally very rare, maybe once a month, now almost daily.

This is truly amusing, oh make that amazing as we are in Amazing Thailand.

Now I'm told that "statistics would not provide a realistic figure". Of what? Of the statistics figures I'm asking for??

I've already posted that I want to "know if the stated 16,000 cases (reported of of course) is significant" so there shouldn't be any confusion that I don't think that the stats represent the real numbers of cases.

Next is this, "I am struggling to see how stats will help you". No your not dumb just uninformed to my purpose and perhaps to my above quote since you said "Not everyone goes to hospital with Dengue".

Nobody knows why I want to know or have even asked though it's not important to answering my question.

I'm not "offended" but to be told the answer that "The answer you are looking for is yes, you can get dengue in Chiang Mai" to my question "Is there a website or place to find latest local data in dengue in CM?" is actually not what I'm looking for or even an answer to my question, is a bit baffling to me.

Kind of fun doing this, the TV thing, but still, as I said in my OP, "Any help would be appreciated" in what I'm looking for :)

This is truly amusing, oh make that amazing as we are in Amazing Thailand.

Now I'm told that "statistics would not provide a realistic figure". Of what? Of the statistics figures I'm asking for??

I've already posted that I want to "know if the stated 16,000 cases (reported of of course) is significant" so there shouldn't be any confusion that I don't think that the stats represent the real numbers of cases.

Next is this, "I am struggling to see how stats will help you". No your not dumb just uninformed to my purpose and perhaps to my above quote since you said "Not everyone goes to hospital with Dengue".

Nobody knows why I want to know or have even asked though it's not important to answering my question.

I'm not "offended" but to be told the answer that "The answer you are looking for is yes, you can get dengue in Chiang Mai" to my question "Is there a website or place to find latest local data in dengue in CM?" is actually not what I'm looking for or even an answer to my question, is a bit baffling to me.

Kind of fun doing this, the TV thing, but still, as I said in my OP, "Any help would be appreciated" in what I'm looking for smile.png

re-read your initial post. 'Found these but don't know if they means it's a high or low chance to get.' And you think spurious data will help you make an intelligent (or unintelligent ) assessment of that?? Good luck with that one.

Hard to 'help' some people.

Try this. There are dengue carrying mozzies out there. There seem to be more locally than there were a few months ago. You have a chance of catching Dengue but you will never know how big that chance is. Just take care. That's all

And get a life.

Nowhere did I ever say I was interested in knowing if I had a chance of catching dengue.

Misinformed again even though I just explained AGAIN what I was interested in and even said no one knows my purpose for the data.

Would appreciate you not help me, or how about not even reply to my posts and keep your bad attitude, insults and worse to yourself.

Nowhere did I ever say I was interested in knowing if I had a chance of catching dengue.

Misinformed again even though I just explained AGAIN what I was interested in and even said no one knows my purpose for the data.

Would appreciate you not help me, or how about not even reply to my posts and keep your bad attitude, insults and worse to yourself.

Junglechef's mystery purpose may be to mask that he in fact has dengue.

He is displaying all the symptoms - high fever and feeling generally unwell, irritability and irrationality.

Get well soon.

Thanks for your concern, feeling normal as irritability is always a symptom of being on TV.

Mystery? I'll repeat for the third time, as is often necessary when dealing with TV members, "Nobody knows why I want to know or have even asked though it's not important to answering my question."

My Mother always told me it doesn't hurt to ask, and as nobody has by now I figure no one is interested which is fine.

But irrational? I'll bite, what have I said that is irrational?

I believe this comment is once again from another member that is not informed, this time of the back story to my most recent post.

Ok off to cry in my morning cup of Joe sad.pngcoffee1.gif

My phycology instructor took a course in statistics in collage. He said it was a very complicated course taken in his fifth year there. Statistics have there place but they leave questions. For instance in this case there is only one kind of mosquito to the best of my knowledge that carries it. (check the bug museum) Is there a certain type of area that this particular bug favors?

Edited by northernjohn

Lot of antedotal stories, some of them just sound like ordinary flu... I had dengue 2 years ago, confirmed by blood test.

1) You feel that you would rather die. It's called bone breaker because every bone in your body aches. You can't stand food or water. You cannot move. High fever. You can only lay in bed Lost about 15 pounds. Gatorade tasted good. VERY Important to stay hydrated.

2) Saw a report about a year ago that Thailand, especially the North, is one of the hottest places in the world for it. There is a lot of dengue in Chiang Mai. Try searching some UN heatlh sites, they have maps of major diseases around the world. I think I saw this year there were 4 deaths for 100,000 infections in the province.

3) Didn't stay in hospital, went back every few days for a blood test. They can do nothing for you in the hospital except make sure you stay hydrated. Reason for frequent blood test is that somewhere between day 7 and 13 of the disease, your white blood cell count makes a dramatic drop. If it comes back in about a day, you're out of the woods. If not, you're going to die very soon.

4) there are 4 strains, one is most predominant. Once you have it, you are immune for the rest of your life to that one strain.

5) It is especially dangerous for children and young adults. most deaths occur in this group. Unless you have a very weakened immune system, being old is good for getting dengue.

6) the species of mosquitos that carry it are active during the twilight hours; sunrise and sunset. The mosquitos that are active at night are not carriers.

Lot of antedotal stories, some of them just sound like ordinary flu... I had dengue 2 years ago, confirmed by blood test.

1) You feel that you would rather die. It's called bone breaker because every bone in your body aches. You can't stand food or water. You cannot move. High fever. You can only lay in bed Lost about 15 pounds. Gatorade tasted good. VERY Important to stay hydrated.

2) Saw a report about a year ago that Thailand, especially the North, is one of the hottest places in the world for it. There is a lot of dengue in Chiang Mai. Try searching some UN heatlh sites, they have maps of major diseases around the world. I think I saw this year there were 4 deaths for 100,000 infections in the province.

3) Didn't stay in hospital, went back every few days for a blood test. They can do nothing for you in the hospital except make sure you stay hydrated. Reason for frequent blood test is that somewhere between day 7 and 13 of the disease, your white blood cell count makes a dramatic drop. If it comes back in about a day, you're out of the woods. If not, you're going to die very soon.

4) there are 4 strains, one is most predominant. Once you have it, you are immune for the rest of your life to that one strain.

5) It is especially dangerous for children and young adults. most deaths occur in this group. Unless you have a very weakened immune system, being old is good for getting dengue.

6) the species of mosquitos that carry it are active during the twilight hours; sunrise and sunset. The mosquitos that are active at night are not carriers.

"5) It is especially dangerous for children and young adults. most deaths occur in this group. Unless you have a very weakened immune system, being old is good for getting dengue."

Should that not be strong rather than weakened

here's a map of recent activity - http://www.healthmap.org/dengue/en/

Good map. We are definitely in the bad area.