Dengue in CM?

junglechef

Thanks for your concern, feeling normal as irritability is always a symptom of being on TV.

Mystery? I'll repeat for the third time, as is often necessary when dealing with TV members, "Nobody knows why I want to know or have even asked though it's not important to answering my question."

My Mother always told me it doesn't hurt to ask, and as nobody has by now I figure no one is interested which is fine.

But irrational? I'll bite, what have I said that is irrational?

I believe this comment is once again from another member that is not informed, this time of the back story to my most recent post.

Ok off to cry in my morning cup of Joe sad.pngcoffee1.gif

Stick to food--you were a lot more interesting and informative

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, interested in chance to get it today or recent numbers of infected people etc. in Chiang Mai.

Any recent and local data or info?

The Chiang Mai City Life site has published an article with the stats you are looking for

They have quoted an official saying that up to 2500 will have been diagnosed with Dengue by October

Take precautions against being bitten in the day by the Aedes mosquito.

http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/dengue-fever-patients-increase-after-erratic-rainfall/

As I'm not a statistician but would like to know if the stated 16,000 cases (reported of of course) is significant.

I figure using a population of 2 million (one of many estimates I picked) that would be 1 out 12,500 ppl in CM per month. No idea if that's right or if that's a lot.

Anyone know how to extrapolate this info with the given data?

Even though my only experience with statistics is flunking a course in it, much of statistics are pretty simple mathematics I think, and it's interpreting it in a meaningful way which is hard.

Assuming the doctor and the quotation is correct - 2500 people will have been diagnosed with dengue by October - and that is out of a total of two million people, it would indicate

a 0.00125 percentage risk of being diagnosed with dengue. I.e., one out of every 800 people will have been diagnosed with dengue by October. That sounds like a non-trivial risk to me, especially assuming that only people who get seriously sick will go to a hospital and get diagnosed.

But then comes the interpretation part. What if, out of the 2500 people that will be diagnosed with dengue by October, 2,000 are people who work or live in the immediate vicinity of rice fields, assuming the risk there is considerably higher (I'm just guessing, mind you)? Then the risk for the rest of us - who do not work or live near rice fields, but who will be among the 500 that will still get diagnosed with dengue - gets reduced to one in 4,000 (0.00025%). That's a bit better, though still unpleasant enough.

And perhaps out of those 500 who do not work/live near rice fields, 400 are people who are unable or unwilling to take any precautions, keep their windows open, have poodles of stagnant water nearby, and whatever other things that attract these mosquitoes. Then the risk for the rest of us - the remaining 100 who will still be diagnosed with dengue by October - is one in 20,000 (0.00005%).

But since the article does not mention what type of population makes up the 2500 people that will be diagnosed with dengue, and perhaps that information is not available either, it seems most prudent to assume that one out of 800 people will get sick enough to go to the hospital and get diagnosed with dengue. And then one can try to do whatever one can to reduce the risk for oneself and one's family.

I caught dengue once in Chiang Mai. Laid me up for weeks..

There are no possible ways to avoid being bitten by mosquitoes and there are no cures for the disease.

there are many ways to avoid being bitten by mosquitoes.

1) mosquito screens on all windows and doors of your house

2) clothing (long trousers)

3) mosquito spray/cream

4) mosquito lamps

5) things you put into electric plugs

there are probably other ways too. Also you can make sure no stale water around your house.

When you catch dengue, obviously make sure you don't spread it further and there are no cures agreed. But you can help fight the symptoms. Any doctor/hospital know how to help you.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any active campaign in Chiang Mai to prevent dengue, such as fogging, the public being made aware of preventing breeding sites?

It's become a big problem in India - http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-05/india-faces-worst-dengue-fever-outbreak-in-years/6827606

I wouldn't like to see that here, as few places seems properly screened, and incoming farangs would not be aware of the problem.

I bought today some small pack of mosquite/larvae poison. Not easy to find, in Thai Watsadu. Wife said that is "sand". 35B a small white pack. Looks like sand and you mix it with water. I put it in the 2 open water drains I found around the house and hopefully it kills the pest. Before the rain I sprayed it with the oily ant/cockroach spray and that helped already quite a bit.

It's a bit difficult to find the stagnant water where they breed. But they should not travel more than 100m. So if you find these breeding places and poison them, you should be able to control them. Or so I hope...

Our moobahn got fog-sprayed a few days ago, but I'm not sure it was done efficiently, since the wind blew the smoke to just one side of the neighbourhood.

it just kills adult mosquitos. If you have stagnant water somewhere, they grow very quickly again. It's hard to really kill the mosquito at the source. Not even places like Singapore can manage it. Best to protect yourself from getting bitten by mosquitos.