Buying a BBQ in Thailand

STUDMEYER

^^^ Are there any more BBQ places worth checking out?

Some stuff I like at bbqthailand, but the grilling area is 50% hot plate for some reason.

I'm trying to find a 3 burner BBQ with a cast iron grill - was hoping to spend less than 20,000 baht. Something just like this: http://www.broilkingbbq.com/grills/signet/signet_20

It's all about getting the perfect grill marks.

Rgs

SM

Buy a food grade drum and a grinder. Cut the drum in half with the grinder. The long way. Rivet some hinges on one side, and a handle on the other side. Rivet some brackets on the inside to hold the stainless steel grill that is going to give you perfect lines. If you can't find the right grill, make one. It's just thick wire welded together. You're sorted, on the cheap.

Gas? facepalm.gif

My wife bought a real one, that uses coal for 5000 Baht at home-pro....quality is medium. I didn't know it is possible to make such thin steel sheetsgigglem.gif as they used....But it does the job well. The local coal is also surprising good.

Gas? facepalm.gif

My wife bought a real one, that uses coal for 5000 Baht at home-pro....quality is medium. I didn't know it is possible to make such thin steel sheetsgigglem.gif as they used....But it does the job well. The local coal is also surprising good.

Yessir, must be gas. 3 burners, not 2 and not 4-5-6-7-8-9 or 10. No hot plate and a 100% CAST IRON grill. Stainless just is not as good IMHO.

Just like this bad boy:

http://www.broilkingbbq.com/grills/signet/signet_20

Rgs

SM

Edited by STUDMEYER

I found a decent large CharBroil (US company) gas bbq, with a side burner and two burners under an iron open grill, plus a higher up warming rack, at a local homepro. They must have sourced it out of S.America, as all the instructions were in Spanish and Portuguese, but it works great. 17 KBaht.

Edited by KhunG

I visited The BBQ Store today and looked at a decent model. Gill King, made in australia. 3 burners, 40,000 btu, all stainless steel, cast iron grill, side burner No Warming Rack?? And the price was north of 30,000 baht.

We visit the homepro twice a month. Havent seen anything nice, functional, or affordable yet.

Those are being sold in Homepro/works and if you just visit their shop regularly they will be on sale one day for around 20k baht.

They cost half of that in Europe though.

Wait... What? Is the 'those you are referring to the Broil King on the link I posted? Which HomePro did you see this at please?

Rgs,

SM

Those are being sold in Homepro/works and if you just visit their shop regularly they will be on sale one day for around 20k baht.

They cost half of that in Europe though.

Wait... What? Is the 'those you are referring to the Broil King on the link I posted? Which HomePro did you see this at please?

Rgs,

SM

I visit so many homepro's/works that i forgot where i've seen the charbroil. It might be from another brand. Or maybe i saw the charbroil in central Bang-na in a special kitchenshop in the corner of that mall near the supermarket.

You can also check out Truevalue in BKK, they have a website and sell (expensive) imported stuff from the USA. Also bbq's from Weber.

Bought a Weber ( round charcoal grill) knock off, at Global for 1400 Baht. That's all you need.

of course charcoal grilled taste a lot better, but some people prefer to eat worse quality at higher costs but have it more convenient.

I can't understand how someone could BBQ with gas.....BBQ with gas is a stove and should sit in the kitchen......

Bought a Weber ( round charcoal grill) knock off, at Global for 1400 Baht. That's all you need.

of course charcoal grilled taste a lot better, but some people prefer to eat worse quality at higher costs but have it more convenient.

I can't understand how someone could BBQ with gas.....BBQ with gas is a stove and should sit in the kitchen......

I also have a big charcoal weber but since i have the gasbbq i never used it again. It's too warm to use in BKK and i also don't taste the difference.

A gasgrill doesn't taste the same as a steak from the frying pan, that's nonsense.

But if you like to eat high quality then tell us where to buy good beef?

I also have a big charcoal weber but since i have the gasbbq i never used it again. It's too warm to use in BKK and i also don't taste the difference.

A gasgrill doesn't taste the same as a steak from the frying pan, that's nonsense.

But if you like to eat high quality then tell us where to buy good beef?

I taste the difference from the smoke......

Good beef: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/848941-amazing-steaks-sausages-bacon-more-delivered-anywhere-in-thailand/

(I never tried but some people report that it is good)

Once I bought beef at "Best Supermarket" In Pattaya (years ago). It was so dark, almost black, taste different than usual beef. The best steak I ever ate.

I don't know what kind of beef that was, maybe buffalo?

H90 maybe the black steak was black angus? Or aged beef? I don't know but i love good steaks and miss them in Thailand.

I have woodchips for smoking but even that doesn't add much taste, not even after many hours (8) of smoking on the charcoal grill.

Now i have liquid smoke in a bottle, very easy.

For the charcoal grills i can recommend the coalstarter from Weber, very easy to use and works great.

But in BKK the charcoal is low quality, upcountry they use hardwood for that which burns much longer.

H90 maybe the black steak was black angus? Or aged beef? I don't know but i love good steaks and miss them in Thailand.

I have woodchips for smoking but even that doesn't add much taste, not even after many hours (8) of smoking on the charcoal grill.

Now i have liquid smoke in a bottle, very easy.

For the charcoal grills i can recommend the coalstarter from Weber, very easy to use and works great.

But in BKK the charcoal is low quality, upcountry they use hardwood for that which burns much longer.

I reject liquid smoke, because it feels wrong (when I am in my caveman mood).

Thanks for the coalstarter recommendation. Last time our coal got a little bit wet and all I had were FedEx envelopes to start the fire bah.gif .

So after it is started you need to get rid of all the ash, and than I made a real hellfire to be sure all the plastic and moisture is away.....starting early in the sun + having the door to hell close to me, I needed so much beer to maintain my body temperature that I really didn't care what I eat when it was ready somewhen hours later.

So somehow sometimes I have doubts if coal is really the best way and if the gas people may have a point.

That charcoal my wife bought in the south didn't look much but flavor was excellent. It didn't last too long, you are right, but sufficient for 2 people to get everything done.

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=bbqpitboys&oq=bbqpitboys&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i65l3j0l2.4531j0j4&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8#q=bbqpitboys&tbm=vid

I tried many of their recipes, low and slow but you need a thermometre in the bbq.

I wasn't much impressed though for all the work i did. The smokey flavour didn't really come. Maybe i needed more woodchips but they aren't cheap.

The coalstarter works great, all you need is a small piece of paper and light that under the starter. They are easy to make though and from Weber cost around 1000 baht. The Thai should copy them.

Now my gasgrill has a startswitch tongue.png very easy, no more sweating or stinking of smoke. Also when there's no wind in BKK it's better for the neighbourhood, not that i care for that because the Thai like to burn wood/plastic which also stinks.

Also i got tired of black hands from the coals and the dust. I made big bbqparty with many thai but they only care for their squid which i don't eat.

But yes a good gasgrill like the OP wants to buy is also perfect. Keep a spraycan OFF with it and you can totally focus on grilling.

We like the frozen marinated steaks from CP. Easy does it.thumbsup.gif

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=bbqpitboys&oq=bbqpitboys&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i65l3j0l2.4531j0j4&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8#q=bbqpitboys&tbm=vid

I tried many of their recipes, low and slow but you need a thermometre in the bbq.

I wasn't much impressed though for all the work i did. The smokey flavour didn't really come. Maybe i needed more woodchips but they aren't cheap.

The coalstarter works great, all you need is a small piece of paper and light that under the starter. They are easy to make though and from Weber cost around 1000 baht. The Thai should copy them.

Now my gasgrill has a startswitch tongue.png very easy, no more sweating or stinking of smoke. Also when there's no wind in BKK it's better for the neighbourhood, not that i care for that because the Thai like to burn wood/plastic which also stinks.

Also i got tired of black hands from the coals and the dust. I made big bbqparty with many thai but they only care for their squid which i don't eat.

But yes a good gasgrill like the OP wants to buy is also perfect. Keep a spraycan OFF with it and you can totally focus on grilling.

We like the frozen marinated steaks from CP. Easy does it.thumbsup.gif

Well woodchips, should be possible to produce yourself......

I got always good smoke flavor...but everyone taste things different.......Just closing the BBQ top and it gets stronger.

My problem that sometimes the things I produce are dried...bit more like leather than like meat.....but that is part of it I think...if I want everything standardized and perfect I go to the McDonalds, or at least cook in the kitchen. BBQ with fire is not perfect and when I do it is even less perfect but it wakes up the caveman inside me gigglem.gif .

Kill the mammoth make fire and feed the family smile.png

If you want low and slow with lots of smoke and flavor(e), soak your wood chips overnight in water. Than, wrap in foil and place directly on the coals. Use a water pan to create steam and keep the meat moist. Heat, wood chips and water on one side, meat on the other. Add herbs, garlic, spices to the water pan if desired for more flavor(e)

Edit: Wood chips like mesquite can be a little bitter. Fruit wood such as apple is a good choice. I have heard of local using mango, but never tried it myself.

Edited by Shot

reminds me when first came here many years ago

went with mountain girl to village and went for a walk

near a stream had a area with concrete benches and another area a lot of charcoal and wood

i said to her is this where village people come and have bbqs

she said yes in here little english

so i feel bad and dont want anything to do with bbq now

Hey thanks for all the interest in this thread - Maybe we can start another thread where people can discuss the finer points of charcoal vs gas and how to smoke your meat?

Really want to eek out all of the producers / Importers of BBQs in this country. There has to be something better than what I've seen so far. It just doesn't make sense that that every single store has the same BBQ types and design. IT seems like they are all knock offs of eachother.

I don't want a sideburner, I just want a moderately priced 3 burner grill with no frills.

I dont want stainless steel, I just want cast iron grills.

I dont want an tiny immovable warming rack, i want the full sized warming rack that moves with the lid like every other BBQ in existence.

Today I emailed Truevalue, i cant get any prices off their website.

I got one from here

http://bbqthai.com

excellent service, warranty and free delivery.
(and they speak English)

I was in their store today. They carry some great looking Grill King BBQs made in Oz, and a bunch of extremely overpriced Chinese made BBQs. Which one did you get?

I would have purchased the one model they had, but it was priced over 30,000 baht. I cannot justify spending (much) more than 20,000 for the pursuit of the perfect grill marks, and even that is a huge stretch for the quality and functionality of the BBQs available. Even their Chinese models were priced well over 20,000 baht.

Thanks to all for the helpful tips so far. I'm not giving up yet.

Rgs,

SM

Edited by STUDMEYER

Truevalue really made me angry one day, i'll never go back. They have a very crappy manager who thinks she is quite something. If i pay much then i want good service. Everything i bought there is broken allready, within warrantytime but i don't care anymore. I only like made in Japan or Germany.

Yes why Truevalue won't show the price online? Isn't that funny? Also they claim you can order any product they sell in the USA and get it delivered to their branche close to you, that sure doesn't work. It's just another crappy american shop, far overpriced.

Maybe you can buy one online and pay all duty's, probably is still cheaper then buying in Thailand.

Truevalue really made me angry one day, i'll never go back. They have a very crappy manager who thinks she is quite something. If i pay much then i want good service. Everything i bought there is broken allready, within warrantytime but i don't care anymore. I only like made in Japan or Germany.

Yes why Truevalue won't show the price online? Isn't that funny? Also they claim you can order any product they sell in the USA and get it delivered to their branche close to you, that sure doesn't work. It's just another crappy american shop, far overpriced.

Maybe you can buy one online and pay all duty's, probably is still cheaper then buying in Thailand.

Well now theres an idea. I'v been cruising websites in North America, and you can pick up a very nice, very capable Broil King that has more functions, and is probably the same if not better quality than anything i've seen here - and all for roughly 13,000 baht. The only unknown is what the shipping, duty and taxes would be to get it over.

Maybe I can bring it on a plane next time I visit

Rgs

SM

at bbqthai.com they have good customer service, and if any problem, they come to fix it for you. they have shops in bkk, Pattaya and some other places.

some have 5 years warranty.

I got a nice one, cost me 40000 bahts years ago but still working great. restaurants buy from bbqthai.com. they must have a good reason.

if you buy from true value or from an unknown small shop , not sure about customer support and spare parts (@BBQ store they can order spare parts for you if not in stock in bkk ) . get a good one you like (size, number of burners needed...) and enjoy your BBQs. cast iron are the best in my point of view (ceramic seems nice too)

(drop a tip to their staff and they will treat you like a VIP and they remember that you are a nice guy :) it' s amazing what you can get for an extra 100 or 200 bahts these days! )

Edited by VIPinthailand

QuickFire out of Udon makes some nice gear. I have one in all marine stainless and it will be around longer than me. Pricey, however the proprieter " Doc" will work with a budget. I would advise a top stainless grate. They are awesome and easy to clean. with almost no effort. lightly oiled nothing sticks. .....I spent 40k on one from the bbqstore and it was. hauled away for scrap a few years later.

I got a charcoal grill first, but the charcoal around where I am is crap. Big branches and little pieces mixed together. No way to keep an even heat under the grill.

Plus, they don't have mesquite, or even hickory, around here. That's what adds the flavor. Plain charcoal just adds carcinogens.

Anyway, a gas grill under a grate will char your steak, and you get an even heat, so you're not raw on one end and burnt on the other. The flavor has to come from the dry rub, or the marinade depending what's being bbq'd. I'd trade it all for a few bags of Kingsford Mesquite charcoal, though.

Edited by KhunG