Hiring A Non-thai Maid

chanchao

> You had no such confidence in your first posting, and your girlfriend only

> thought it was a good idea. What changed in such a short time ?

> Added a bit of lust maybe ?

Nah, that was just my way of actually getting a response. With the Beyonce reference and all. :o If I just ask dryly about "the labour sitation for non-Thai nationals in menial jobs" then I would expect a luke-warm response. So I spiced it up a little, also adding the 2500 baht amount which, while true, was of course also beside the point. (Got someone worked up on another thread/topic though. :D Note that 2500 is in addition to food and boarding, so the amount she can save per month is higher than a person in a factory job where she has to pay for her own food and accommodation. Not to mention that being a maid is a far more pleasant and safer job than working a factory or construction site.

I'm actually also not opposed to sponsoring some form of non-formal education for any maid during her off-hours. Or even splitting my UBC signal to her room for entertainment. I'm pretty reasonable really, but the reasonable guys don't seem to get the answers on discussion boards.. it's the clueless pricks who get the most advice. :D

Again I do thank everyone for the advice. I will not go ahead with this unless I can do it in a legal way. (or semi legal anyway.. does anyone ever pay taxes & social security for maids, gardeners and drivers??)

Cheers,

Chanchao

Guest Lazarus
> I had many non Thai maids in the past (Burmese) without any problem.

> One of them, by the way, was killed in a car accident and, surprise, the Thai police

> did not care,... My two Thai neighbours have Myanmar maids without any problem.

> I had a few Thai maids with many, many problems.

> Does it answer your question?

In a strange, warped kind of sense, actually yes it does. :D  Combination of "Your mileage may vary",  "Sh!t happens" and "This is Thailand" all rolled into one.  Nice job. :o

Thanks everyone!!!  I'm looking into if registering as a foreign worker is possible. Will keep everyone posted if it turns out to be a viable option.

Cheers,

Chanchao

an illegal alien being registered as a foreign worker ... is it April 1 again ?

Good one Doc. Straight to the point.

Chanchao yes you can register her. If you are serious and aren't just into the normal farang/expat thing of a bit on the side I will even give you details.

Note that 2500 is in addition to food and boarding, so the amount she can save per month is higher than a person in a factory job where she has to pay for her own food and accommodation. Not to mention that being a maid is a far more pleasant and safer job than working a factory or construction site.

I'm actually also not opposed to sponsoring some form of non-formal education for any maid during her off-hours. Or even splitting my UBC signal to her room for entertainment. I'm pretty reasonable really

Comment by a user of this forum about a Burma maid for baht 2500,- monthly:

And you farangs call this FAIR? This is EXPLOITATION. And no one is saying a bloody word!!!!!!!! Fantastic double farang standards!!!

I totally disagree......

Chanchao:

I find your offer to an illegal Burma maid very reasonable. Most Thais in the province will her pay much less - maybe only baht 800,- or baht 1200,- and will treat her even in a very rude way.....

This is far in North and baht 2500,- there is maybe same as baht 3500,- in or near Bangkok.

Of course, a young Thai woman after some schooling might not accept such a kind of work.

If you a young Thai lady, and you like to get a good salary later on, in Thailand as a young person you have to work very hard for low pay during the first years...

The daughter of our Thai friend finished school and is certified nurse, working in a large general hospital in Chonburi district for her training.....

Her first salary is baht 6.800,-, she is living in Chonburi with her mother, who is working in the same hospital.

Transportation, food, all has to be paid by herself....

Within 5 years, she will move up to about baht 15.000,-, but this includes some extra work.... nightshift, Sunday, holiday.....and successfully passing through all departments....higher salary is also possible if continuing to study and to pass additional examinations.

To get accustomed to the job after school, she will be moved from one ward to the next.... usually starting with the most unconvenient stations...where the work is the most terrible one....

First station was the emergency room...to get a first impression about Thai motorcycle accidents during the nightshift......

Second station was the geriatric ward, where many more patients will die than survive. Somewhat between cleaning shit and changing bed with coffin....

Third station soon will be a little different....it will be the psychiatric ward....a bit funny talk expected and a bit dangerous.....

There are all in all about 15 more wards there, including dangerous diseases (where you work in isolation) - orthopedic (where some people have no hands or feet) and so on....

Baht 6800,- !

Some girls from Burma are quite smart to do their best to become a maid in a foreigners home in Thailand.....

UBC signal? During off-hours?

In the hospital no nurse is really interested in that, especially during night-shift.....

hurry to rest-room, wash the hands, put the feet high on another chair and close the eyes for 30 minutes.....arriving home next morning after a 45 minutes bus trip is the way into the shower and straight into the bed.....

Comment by my side:

And you THAIS call this FAIR? This is EXPLOITATION. And no one is saying a bloody word!!!!!!!! Fantastic double THAI standards!!!

Johann

My mum used to work her arse off for decades as a nurse in a hospital in Bangkok. Holding only a diploma and being a government officer, she didn't get paid much. Pretty little, I would say. It took her many many many years and more education (Bachelor's) to earn more than 15,000 THB. But in the same time, she got more securities and benefits in her career more than say me. The government wouldn't pay a satang for my children's tution fee or my hubby's medical treatments. But they did for her and other government officers.

So, she chose to get paid less, but got more securities and benefits - while I have chosen to work for a private company, to get paid more, to have little security in my career, and to get as good medical treatments as social security does. My mum didn't choose to be a nurse because she liked blood, wounds, etc. The hospital scene is not entertaining. Everyone knows that. But that's her job. That's what she applied for. Mind you, she had two small children at home too while she had to work night shifts sometimes. But no one in my family ever complained about that because we knew it was her job.

Transportation, food, all has to be paid by herself....

Just like everyone else.

My mum used to work her arse off for decades as a nurse in a hospital in Bangkok. Holding only a diploma and being a government officer, she didn't get paid much. Pretty little, I would say.

Thank you for this posting, confirming what I said, when comparing labour condition of a Burma maid, when working for a foreigner in Northern Thailand (=exploitation), with the condition of a young working Thai woman after school (=normal way of a daily job for a newcomer).

It is easy to cry out how *discriminating* some labour conditions are for an (illegal) foreign maid in Thailand (while working for a foreigner who can pay her something at least), while on the other side not considering and not comparing the situation of an average Thai woman of the same age working for a Thai company or for the Thai government..... -

Yes, Thai government related work in this case in a general hospital is low paid, and instead of it, there are some benefits like insurance, retirement.....same with a young teacher in a public school in the province or with a railway worker....I have seen starting salaries in government work lower than baht 4000,- and such people do not complain how poor they are....

It was posted by me to show some figures for the reason to compare some *silent working people of Thailand*, when talking about discrimination, exploitation......

Johann

does anyone ever pay taxes & social security for maids, gardeners and drivers??

Do they earn enough??

Yes, we pay because it is very much cheaper in the long run. If they are injured on the job, you could find yourself paying for years of treatmernt if insurance etc. was not paid.