UK academic Wyn Ellis released from Thai detention

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

John Rambo-" Live for nothing, or die for something". But in this case I feel ending up dead would accomplish nothing.

"I fought the law but the law won" ring a bell? Winning in court does not mean that you are safe.

I really wanted to retire to Thailand but maybe it's time to look at Vietnam, Cambodia, and the Philippines.

Wrong answer. Cambodia is much worse in terms of face and Hun Sen cronies being above the law. The Phils are not much better than a Thailand and have a lot of crazy nutcases with guns. Vietnam has an arbitrary communist legal system.

The right answer was retirement in Norway, Holland or Sweden.

Vietnam is only a problem if you commit a crime. Otherwise, it's a very safe country much more so than Thailand. Except the traffic maybe. Though interestingly, the Vietnamese police are a little stricter on the enforcement of some traffic laws, despite being poorer than Thailand. For example, helmets MUST be worn. They aren't optional like in Thailand. NOBODY rides in the tray of a pickup truck/utility vehicle, unlike in Thailand where you see this everyday.

Cambodia has a bit of a mob culture, but otherwise it's fine. I suspect the Philippines is similar, though I've never been there.

I agree with retirement in the Nordic countries. Apart from the climate, fantastic places to live and for elderly people to retire in.