Suspect in Bangkok bombing tells police he's 'guilty'

webfact

Suspect in Bangkok bombing tells police he's 'guilty'
NATTASUDA ANUSONADISAI, Associated Press

BANGKOK (AP) — A key suspect in last month's deadly Bangkok bombing was transferred Monday to police custody after a week of military interrogation, and was asked to acknowledge the charge against him before police and the media.

As cameras recorded in the packed room, police introduced an unusual twist to the routine by asking the suspect whether or not he was guilty of the charge of co-possession of illegal explosives, as stated in his arrest warrant.

The suspect, identified by police as Yusufu Mierili, responded through a translator: "Guilty." Authorities have previously released a variety of spellings of his name, including Mieraili Yusufu and Yusufu Meerailee.

It was not clear whether the apparent confession would carry legal weight in a court. Mierili, who was arrested last Tuesday near the Thai-Cambodia border, has not yet been formally charged.

Police say they found his DNA or fingerprints in two apartments that were raided a week ago by police on the outskirts of Bangkok, including a container of gunpowder. Police say both apartments contained bomb-making materials, and one had more than 200 fake Turkish passports.

The Aug. 17 blast at the Erawan Shrine killed 20 people and injured more than 120 in one of the most devastating acts of violence in Bangkok in decades.

Thai authorities have suggested that at least two of the suspects are possibly Turkish, boosting a theory that the bombing was to avenge Thailand's forced repatriation of more than 100 ethnic Uighurs to China in July. Uighurs (pronounced WEE-gurs) are related to Turks, and Turkey is home to a large Uighur community.

Mierili's nationality has not been confirmed, but police say he was carrying a Chinese passport that indicated he was from the western region of Xinjiang, home to the Turkish-speaking Uighurs.

Police said last week that Mierili was suspected of being a conspirator rather than the bomber, who was seen in security videos placing a knapsack at the open-air shrine and then leaving.

Another suspect, who was arrested Aug. 29 at one of the two apartments police raided, was in possession of a fake Turkish passport when arrested, police say. That man, whom police have identified as Adem Karadak, was transferred to police custody Friday after nearly a week in military custody.

Thai authorities have said they would turn over the two passports to the relevant embassies to confirm their authenticity once forensics testing is completed.

Authorities have so far issued 11 arrest warrants for suspects related to the blast, including two on Monday.

One of Monday's warrants was for a man identified as Abdullah Abdullahman of unknown nationality on charges of conspiracy to possess unauthorized explosives and unauthorized war materials. A police sketch showed a young man with short, brown hair, with a light mustache and beard.

The other warrant issued Monday for the same charges was for "a foreign man" whose name and nationality were unknown. He appeared to have short, dark hair in the blurry picture from security camera footage.
___

Associated Press journalist Papitchaya Boonngok contributed to this report.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-09-08

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bangkok Bombing Suspect Confesses, Police Say

By Khaosod English

14416936811441693894l.jpg
‎Bangkok bombing‬ suspect Yusufu Mieraili arrives at the Min Buri Police Station early this morning where he was taken to the district court.

BANGKOK — A suspect arrested in connection to the bomb attack that killed 20 people last month has confessed to the charge against him, according to the Royal Thai Police spokesman.

Yusufu Mieraili, 26, admitted to the charge of illegal possession of explosives during questioning yesterday, Police Lt.Gen. Prawuth Thawornsiri said. Mieraili was taken into custody near Thai-Cambodian border on 1 Sept. and identified as one of the occupants of an apartment building Bangkok suburb where a large cache of bomb-making materials were found in a police raid.

“The suspect confessed that he is the person in the arrest warrant, and he confessed to the charge that he is accused of,” Prawuth said. “However, police will continue to interrogate him.”

Yusufu was transferred to police yesterday after being detained at an army camp for a week under special order of the ruling military junta, which allows soldiers to hold individuals up to seven days without court warrants.

It is unclear whether Yusufu’s confession will be usable in the court, as he has yet to receive legal representation.

Police are scheduled to take Yusufu to “reenact” his alleged crime today at residences in Min Buri and Nong Chok districts where bomb materials were found, Hua Lamphong Railway Station which he is alleged to have visited just prior to the bombing and a skywalk near the Erawan Shrine, which was targeted by the 17 Aug. bomb attack which killed 20 and injured 150, mostly foreign tourists.

Full story http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1441693681

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-09-08

Spare no punishment on him if he is guilty.

He deserves everything he gets.

Only its not going to be enough to account for the lives of the 20 dead people.

Terrorism is the most heinous crime I can imagine. It randomly targets innocent people.

I think the only law that might work to combat it, is to redirect the attack back on the terrorists families.

20 lives from the families of each of the terrorists should be forfeit. Wipe away blood lines. Terrorism is a disease and like any disease, its got to be stopped.

That way anyone who wants to protect their families must inform on anyone they suspect. And every terrorist action has an equal and obviously unjust punishment for the terrorists.

It sounds cruel, but no less cruel than the random people they kill.

Terrorism is the most heinous crime I can imagine. It randomly targets innocent people.

I think the only law that might work to combat it, is to redirect the attack back on the terrorists families.

20 lives from the families of each of the terrorists should be forfeit. Wipe away blood lines. Terrorism is a disease and like any disease, its got to be stopped.

That way anyone who wants to protect their families must inform on anyone they suspect. And every terrorist action has an equal and obviously unjust punishment for the terrorists.

Please stop talking.

It is unclear whether Yusufu’s confession will be usable in the court, as he has yet to receive legal representation.

So he was interrogated by the police in the absence of a lawyer?

I guess as soon as he gets a lawyer he will retract the confession. Sounds familiar to me.

In a civilised country with a proper justice system parading a suspect and asking the question of guilt in front of the media would all but lead to him being released for abuse of legal process and his rights. But this is Thailand and everything is approached as if they are part of a circus.

In a civilised country with a proper justice system parading a suspect and asking the question of guilt in front of the media would all but lead to him being released for abuse of legal process and his rights. But this is Thailand and everything is approached as if they are part of a circus.

Geez how about a bit of credit for whats been a first class investigation. Now hopefully Interpol can nab that Thai women and her Turkish terrorist husband

So he confessed to holding illegal bomb material, but not for making the bomb that was set off if I read correctly. I also wonder what language they are using to communicate in as I don't see a reference to this, only to a reference that their is an interpreter.

Indeed. Why is he being told to re-enact a crime he hasn't even been charged with. And why the need for a military trial? Is it because they have had such a terrible time with the civilian trial in Koh Tao?

So he confessed to holding illegal bomb material, but not for making the bomb that was set off if I read correctly. I also wonder what language they are using to communicate in as I don't see a reference to this, only to a reference that their is an interpreter.

Indeed. Why is he being told to re-enact a crime he hasn't even been charged with. And why the need for a military trial? Is it because they have had such a terrible time with the civilian trial in Koh Tao?

We would all plead guilty after a week of Thai interrogation, I wouldn't put any faith on his "confession" just yet...

Maybe he's being tried at a military court to ensure they can section 44 him effectively without any problems... Last I heard the army was giving him to the police and now the police are giving him back to the army... What next?

Interesting views you have. Partly sounds like KGB, but with these principles you could have made a great career in the Gestapo too I think!

Just to clarify what your aim for all of this is.

Google gives the following definition of terrorism: “the unlawful use of force and violence against persons or property to intimidate or coerce a government, the civilian population, or any segment thereof, in furtherance of political or social objectives” .

So does your statement also mean that every US soldier who killed someone in Iraq (they were there unlawfully remember) should get the equal amount of family members killed? And Netanyahu family will completely be destroyed in your view of course because of his continuing genocide of Palestinians.

My guess is that what you mean is that it should only effect people YOU deem as terrorists. And that’s a very dangerous thought. Especially since your solution to solving YOUR terrorism sounds very fascistic to me.

Idiots like the Ratchaprasong bombers should be punished severely, I fully agree with that, but their families? With your thought process you probably also agree that these Indian girls were sentenced to be gang-raped, because their brother had sex with a married woman.

Watching it on the news, he was asked in English.

Please stop talking.

Is this Scott Walker in disguise? No he is the guy that wants to build a wall on the US/Canadian border. Sorry my mistake.

So he was interrogated by the police in the absence of a lawyer?

I guess as soon as he gets a lawyer he will retract the confession. Sounds familiar to me.

If they did use the methods suggested then any confession should be disregarded, hopefully they got answers to questions that would lead to indisputable evidence, and the others involved.

Well, they dont need another defense lawyer making the authorities investigation look like another fabrication where you locate the susgoat and make up the evidence to suit. Not that this would every happen in the land of deniles. Edited by Reigntax

Didn't he admit he gave the bomb to the yellow-shirt guy? He's also the one who had a chemical-engineering degree so I'd think he's the one who made the exolosives.

What county in the world would parade a suspect in public and ask him to tell the waiting media if he was guilty !!! Welcome to AMAZING THAILAND no doubt 5 minutes earlier he had the plastic bag removed from his head whilst he gasped for air !!!!!!!

Please stop talking.

Breathing would be nice too,.

If you can manage it.

Bomb suspect Meiraili used to sell mobile phones at Ramkhamhaeng for six months
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Investigators have learned that a bomb suspect, Meiraili Yusufu used to sell mobile phones in Ramkhamhaeng area for six months.

A police source said the suspect, who allegedly made bombs and delivered the bomb backpack to the man in yellow shirt, is a Uighur holding a Chinesse passport.

Meiraili came from Xinjiang and studied at the Xinjiang Medical University for six years but failed to finish his study. He used to sell mobile phones in Ramkhamhaeng area for six months and is close to the alleged mastermind of the attack, Abdullah Abdul Rahman, the police source added.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Bomb-suspect-Meiraili-used-to-sell-mobile-phones-a-30268399.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-09-08

Yes, "civlised" countries do obviously care much more about the supposed rights of criminals than the actual rights of victims. Fortunately, Thailand is not "civilised" like those misdeveloped circuses (yet).

If that dude turns out to be actually guilty he has blown his supposed rights away for good. Som nam na.

Granted, that has nothing to do with a weird justice system but rather reality and laws of nature. Screw up and bear the consequenses. Nature can not be compromised. Human justice can. By modern humans losing more and more any sense for reality and being supported in their endeavours by slick advocates. whistling.gif

Bangkok Bombing Suspect Confesses, Police Say

By Khaosod English

14416936811441693894l.jpg

‎Bangkok bombing‬ suspect Yusufu Mieraili arrives at the Min Buri Police Station early this morning where he was taken to the district court.

BANGKOK — A suspect arrested in connection to the bomb attack that killed 20 people last month has confessed to the charge against him, according to the Royal Thai Police spokesman.

Yusufu Mieraili, 26, admitted to the charge of illegal possession of explosives during questioning yesterday, Police Lt.Gen. Prawuth Thawornsiri said. Mieraili was taken into custody near Thai-Cambodian border on 1 Sept. and identified as one of the occupants of an apartment building Bangkok suburb where a large cache of bomb-making materials were found in a police raid.

“The suspect confessed that he is the person in the arrest warrant, and he confessed to the charge that he is accused of,” Prawuth said. “However, police will continue to interrogate him.”

Yusufu was transferred to police yesterday after being detained at an army camp for a week under special order of the ruling military junta, which allows soldiers to hold individuals up to seven days without court warrants.

Police are scheduled to take Yusufu to “reenact” his alleged crime today at residences in Min Buri and Nong Chok districts where bomb materials were found, Hua Lamphong Railway Station which he is alleged to have visited just prior to the bombing and a skywalk near the Erawan Shrine, which was targeted by the 17 Aug. bomb attack which killed 20 and injured 150, mostly foreign tourists.

Full story http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1441693681

kse.png

-- Khaosod English 2015-09-08

How is this man going to "reenact" being in possession of bomb making material ?

I remember reading that this was the type of thing that happened in Iraq under Sadam Hussein if you opposed him, cruel, yes, unfair, yes, but was the population kept in check , Yes