Freddie Gray's family settles with city of Baltimore for $6.4M

webfact

lol....go to any anonymous forum with white people , and you will see the real form of racism in them.

Yeah, sure. Only white people are racist. What load of crap.bah.gif

Racism is not about saying nasty words about white people or black people or any other people. Racism is a systemic issue. Reverse racism does not exist http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/reverse-racism-isnt-a-thing_55d60a91e4b07addcb45da97 If a black person says they hat Whitey, this is not racist or racism. White republicans as victims! Give me a break.Racism was not solved then revived by Obama's election. The 'take back America' crowd are too gutless to face home truths and allow a society to move forward.

There is no such thing as reverse racism. Dude, you are a moron or a black panther with two brain cells. Lol, this place rocks. Love the views of those having to flee normal lives because: (1) they cannot get laid in their home countries; or (2) they cannot get decent jobs and keep up with the Jones in their home countries.

The fact is there is more of a problem with reverse racism than conventional racism in the US. I voted for Obama and have always been anDemocrat until recently.

Them I see stuff like this Freddie Gray crap, Obamacare and how Brown, Martin and etc. have been referenced by Obama and I am like WRH. Boy I was stupid and trusting.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

lol....go to any anonymous forum with white people , and you will see the real form of racism in them.

Racism is not about saying nasty words about white people or black people or any other people. Racism is a systemic issue. Reverse racism does not exist http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/reverse-racism-isnt-a-thing_55d60a91e4b07addcb45da97 If a black person says they hat Whitey, this is not racist or racism. White republicans as victims! Give me a break.Racism was not solved then revived by Obama's election. The 'take back America' crowd are too gutless to face home truths and allow a society to move forward.

There is no such thing as reverse racism. Dude, you are a moron or a black panther with two brain cells. Lol, this place rocks. Love the views of those having to flee normal lives because: (1) they cannot get laid in their home countries; or (2) they cannot get decent jobs and keep up with the Jones in their home countries.

The fact is there is more of a problem with reverse racism than conventional racism in the US. I voted for Obama and have always been anDemocrat until recently.

Them I see stuff like this Freddie Gray crap, Obamacare and how Brown, Martin and etc. have been referenced by Obama and I am like WRH. Boy I was stupid and trusting.

Still waiting for your billboard pic. Can't wait for season 2 of Better Call Saul.

This is peanuts in the US legal system. Why so surprised?

Look what this lady got for being sexually harrassed (as opposed to murdered).

BIGGEST SEXUAL-HARASSMENT SETTLEMENT

Rent-to-own store Aarons is a nationwide franchise with an enormous marketing presence, thanks to its lucrative NASCAR tie-in. You would think that such a major brand would know how to work with employees who want to report bad behavior, but when St. Louis employee Ashley Alford phoned the companys harassment hotline to report numerous incidents of her manager teasing her, groping her, and on several occasions bopping her on the head with his dick, she received zero support, feedback or even communication from the corporations national office.

Shortly after her attempt to contact Aarons, Alford was assaulted by her horrible creepo manager (featuring a regulation horrible creepo mustache) in an incident that just barely stopped short of rape, and realizing that the company would never bother to investigate the offense by itself, she filed a lawsuit against Aarons Inc. that became Americas largest harassment payoff.

After hearing Alfords testimony (including DNA evidence left on her uniform by her disgusting, perv boss) the jury awarded her an unprecedented $95 million, even though federal law caps the maximum award in any sexual harassment suit to $40 million. Alford plans to contribute much of her winnings to womens shelters, sexual abuse counseling centers and legal funds to help other women fighting sexual harassment.

Nah, its not. Its am aberration. The difference between your judgment and my judgement is I live in reality and you live in an Internet created reality.

OJ simpson 33.5 million.

I could go on, but it's you that seems to have no grasp of the rewards in the US legal system.

This is peanuts in the US legal system. Why so surprised?

Look what this lady got for being sexually harrassed (as opposed to murdered).

BIGGEST SEXUAL-HARASSMENT SETTLEMENT

Rent-to-own store Aarons is a nationwide franchise with an enormous marketing presence, thanks to its lucrative NASCAR tie-in. You would think that such a major brand would know how to work with employees who want to report bad behavior, but when St. Louis employee Ashley Alford phoned the companys harassment hotline to report numerous incidents of her manager teasing her, groping her, and on several occasions bopping her on the head with his dick, she received zero support, feedback or even communication from the corporations national office.

Shortly after her attempt to contact Aarons, Alford was assaulted by her horrible creepo manager (featuring a regulation horrible creepo mustache) in an incident that just barely stopped short of rape, and realizing that the company would never bother to investigate the offense by itself, she filed a lawsuit against Aarons Inc. that became Americas largest harassment payoff.

After hearing Alfords testimony (including DNA evidence left on her uniform by her disgusting, perv boss) the jury awarded her an unprecedented $95 million, even though federal law caps the maximum award in any sexual harassment suit to $40 million. Alford plans to contribute much of her winnings to womens shelters, sexual abuse counseling centers and legal funds to help other women fighting sexual harassment.

Nah, its not. Its am aberration. The difference between your judgment and my judgement is I live in reality and you live in an Internet created reality.

OJ simpson 33.5 million.

I could go on, but it's you that seems to have no grasp of the rewards in the US legal system.

I have an extensive database and my first job as a defense lawyer is to triage and set a reserve (I.e., place value on) every file that some's in. But alas, I am sure you and you Internet Google function are far better at reserving cases.

Lol, did youmentiin OJ? Oh dear. You guys are funny.

Still waiting for your billboard pic. Can't wait for season 2 of Better Call Saul.

Not a big fan of that series about drugs, but enjoyed what little but I saw.

I have really good friends that run mega TV ads including Superbowl commercials. They all make several million a year and work very little while I am still slaving away 20 years later making a percentage of what they make. One guy flies around the country in his Gulfstream with a playboy model turned court reporter. I am like stupid as I am still slaving away flying commercial and hiring whoever shows up.

Edited by capcc76

This is sounding very much like another poster here. Different username, same profile, same writings. Edited by stevenl

I hate it when all thos old white people (i am white mind you ) see every opportunity to bring up race. United States system was not built with black people in mind. all the illegal private prisons jailing up black people, the scrutiny they get from law enforcement is unbelievable. I am sure if this guy was White, all he racist comments here wouldn't have been. US legal system is a joke!.

I hate it when all thos old white people (i am white mind you ) see every opportunity to bring up race. United States system was not built with black people in mind. all the illegal private prisons jailing up black people, the scrutiny they get from law enforcement is unbelievable. I am sure if this guy was White, all he racist comments here wouldn't have been. US legal system is a joke!.

" US legal system is a joke!."

Have you had quite a bit of personal experience with the US legal system?

Was your experience criminal or civil in nature?

Give us some facts to backup your assertion that the US legal system is a joke.

What??? You have got to be kidding me. "Illegal private prisons jailing black people"??? Where are these illegal prisons located? There are no black people in prison because they are black. If a black person is in prison, they worked hard to get there. Where on earth do people like you come from?

I have an extensive database and my first job as a defense lawyer is to triage and set a reserve (I.e., place value on) every file that some's in. But alas, I am sure you and you Internet Google function are far better at reserving cases.

Then you'll be able to tell us the average payout in the US for intentional and unintentional killing, won't you?

Being the forum expert and all.

Oh and don't forget to tell us how many civil cases you defended involving death and what the average payout was in those.

Highly relevant to the topic I'd say.

Here are some more examples, but I'm waiting for you to tell me how wrong they are.

$6.4 million seems about right to me, not atypical by any means.

The $3.25 million settlement that the city announced this week with the estate of Sean Bell, who was shot to death by the police in 2006, serves as a reminder of a ruthless truth about calculating settlements: It is generally cheaper to settle a case in which there was a death than one in which there was a serious injury.
“Many times when people come into my office,” said Susan M. Karten, a lawyer who has handled high-profile cases involving police misconduct, “I have to explain that when a person is shot and dies in some incident, their case is worth little under New York law, but if that same person who was shot lives and suffers some horrible injury, that can be worth millions.”
“I hate to say it this way,” Ms. Karten added, “but you’re better off killing someone than maiming him.”
The Bell settlement, for the two children he had with his fiancée, Nicole Paultre Bell, came six weeks after the city agreed to a record payout of $9.9 million to Barry Gibbs, who had been released after almost two decades in prison because of evidence that he had been framed by a corrupt police detective.
The police brutality case against Abner Louima resulted in an $8.75 million settlement.

Edited by Chicog

Then you'll be able to tell us the average payout in the US for intentional and unintentional killing, won't you?

Oh and don't forget to tell us how many civil cases you defended involving death and what the average payout was in those.

Here are some more examples, but I'm waiting for you to tell me how wrong they are.

The $3.25 million settlement that the city announced this week with the estate of Sean Bell, who was shot to death by the police in 2006, serves as a reminder of a ruthless truth about calculating settlements: It is generally cheaper to settle a case in which there was a death than one in which there was a serious injury.

Many times when people come into my office, said Susan M. Karten, a lawyer who has handled high-profile cases involving police misconduct, I have to explain that when a person is shot and dies in some incident, their case is worth little under New York law, but if that same person who was shot lives and suffers some horrible injury, that can be worth millions.

I hate to say it this way, Ms. Karten added, but youre better off killing someone than maiming him.

The Bell settlement, for the two children he had with his fiancée, Nicole Paultre Bell, came six weeks after the city agreed to a record payout of $9.9 million to Barry Gibbs, who had been released after almost two decades in prison because of evidence that he had been framed by a corrupt police detective.

The police brutality case against Abner Louima resulted in an $8.75 million settlement.

375]

Either old and cannot think clearly or old and obstinate.

Pecuinary value is the measure of damages in wrongful death cases. Filal consortium present a while diffident obstacle because typically parents of adult children get nothing unless they relied on adult children for support.

Then we have the $400,000 GTLA cap so a jury could not have awarded more than $400,000 had the case proceeded to trial and the judge would have to remit any award inconsistent with the law on pecuinary value and filal consortium.

The tax payers are soaked here for $ 6.4 million in damages when the family could have received no more than low 6 figures had the case gone to trial.

There is more at play here than meets the eye and the ignorant public bus into to this stuff (like the coffee case) because they are ignorant and believe what other ignorant people might say.

Take a looksie who is behind this award, who is approving the award and what their reasons are for the award . . . To promote healing of the city??? That has zero to do with how damages should be calculated.

----------

The settlement also eclipses the total $5.7 million the city has paid out in 102 court judgments in police misconduct cases since 2011, according to a 2014 Baltimore Sun investigation.

At the end of the day, losing a child, adult or otherwise, has got to be as bad as it gets.

Have no idea what happened in this case. Hopefully, the facts will come out.

The tax payers of Naryland, however, are getting soaked. I am sure the Mayor is authorizing payment of such a ridiculous amount totry and keep people calm and keep more riots from happening. Perhaps more looting and more craziness would have occurred had the paid what should have been paid.

My heart actually goes out to l all involved, his family and the families of the officers whose lives also got turned upside.

Edited by capcc76

'"To suggest that there is any reason to settle prior to the adjudication of the pending criminal cases is obscene and without regard to the fiduciary responsibility owed to the taxpaying citizens of the city," ...' I wouldn't describe the payment of $6.4m from taxpayers' funds as being fiscally responsible.

Many times when people come into my office, said Susan M. Karten, a lawyer who has handled high-profile cases involving police misconduct, I have to explain that when a person is shot and dies in some incident, their case is worth little under New York law, but if that same person who was shot lives and suffers some horrible injury, that can be worth millions.

I hate to say it this way, Ms. Karten added, but youre better off killing someone than maiming him.

375]

Either old and cannot think clearly or old and obstinate.

Pecuinary value is the measure of damages in wrongful death cases. Filal consortium present a while diffident obstacle because typically parents of adult children get nothing unless they relied on adult children for support.

Then we have the $400,000 GTLA cap so a jury could not have awarded more than $400,000 had the case proceeded to trial and the judge would have to remit any award inconsistent with the law on pecuinary value and filal consortium.

The tax payers are soaked here for $ 6.4 million in damages when the family could have received no more than low 6 figures had the case gone to trial.

There is more at play here than meets the eye and the ignorant public bus into to this stuff (like the coffee case) because they are ignorant and believe what other ignorant people might say.

Take a looksie who is behind this award, who is approving the award and what their reasons are for the award . . . To promote healing of the city??? That has zero to do with how damages should be calculated.

----------

The settlement also eclipses the total $5.7 million the city has paid out in 102 court judgments in police misconduct cases since 2011, according to a 2014 Baltimore Sun investigation.

I notice in all that kerfuffle that you resolutely avoided answering my questions.

Says it all.

Edited by Chicog

^^^. Brother it doesn't, but it really does not matter in the grand scheme of things. What's done is done. I will continue to value by cases on what I believe a jury would award. You can have your views which are perfectly valid.

Things are messed up. What does does one do though?

Agreed with the latter but the whole bit about people being here because they can't get laid or can't get jobs at home is more like typical Asian xenophobic propaganda than the reality. Certainly have met some like that but don't think they're hanging out on World News section. Now if you'd said, "bored, drunk, sexually frustrated men" that would probably describe many of us :v

Besides, stretch that viewpoint out into enough pages of BS and you'll do well at any number of _____ Studies departments in most western universities.

• 1 month later...

lol....go to any anonymous with white people , and you will see the real form of racism in them. When you meet them , they will quickly tell u how they are not racist. Nobody loves Americans..people just pretend.

Lol, no one really cares what people like you who don't live here or pay taxes here think. Do you think I care if you don't love me? Do you think I would act differently in person to make you love me in person? Haha, what a joke!

Lol so you are accepting that you are racist? Yeah, they all pretend to get some love because they know nobody genuinely loves them.

Someone from Australia complaining about another countries racism. Thats too funny. Maybe fix your own country before trying to fix someplace else.

$6.4M?

My thoughts are $64M would send a more robust message to Law Enforcement who allegedly feel picking a citizen up off the street, who has committed no offence and allegedly conducting themselves in a way that (confirmed by the Medical Examiner's report May 01, 2015) led to his death.

State Persecutor Mosby said "the Baltimore police had acted illegally and that "No crime had been committed" (by Freddie Gray)". Also "Gray "suffered a critical neck injury as a result of being handcuffed, shackled by his feet and unrestrained inside the BPD wagon"

The State Prosecutor has not hesitated in bringing various criminal charges against the six Officers involved. Manslaughter, second degree depraved-heart murder, false imprisonment, assault, manslaughter by vehicle (gross negligence), misconduct in office.

After being bought before a Court and found guilty of the allegations hopefully maximum Jail terms will be handed down.

The thought of any citizen simply going about their business committing no crime, abducted by Police and brutalised causing their death should horrify any fair minded person in a civilised community. It remains to be seen whether this is the case in this instance but it is quite disturbing.

It never does but hopefully the $6.4M awarded to the family will compensate them in some small way for their loss.

A witness who was also in custody in the same paddy wagon gave a statement that the deceased was practicing self-harm in custody and banging his head against the steel walls.

One thing is certain--there is no way those six public servants can ever get a fair trial after the city gave out this award.

A witness who was also in custody in the same paddy wagon gave a statement that the deceased was practicing self-harm in custody and banging his head against the steel walls.

One thing is certain--there is no way those six public servants can ever get a fair trial after the city gave out this award.

Wow, the amount of deception packed in that first sentence is amazing. Let's list it out.

1) The only reason you know about that claim is because of a leaked police report, one of the constant leaks to the public (half of them false) that happen every time officers are involved in such a case. The leak was clearly meant to influence the public and the potential jury pool. You're right - so much for a "fair trial".

2) It wasn't much of a "witness" - the two were seperated by a metal partition and could not see each other at all, and the "witness" wasn't even present in the vehicle for the first half of the ride. If he couldn't see Freddie at all, how could he supposedly know exactly what he was doing and what condition he was in?

3) On April 23, the police commissioner already publicly stated that this " witness" reported Gray was mostly quiet during the ride.

4) After the police department leaks, the witness came forward publicly and said that he heard some "light banging on the walls" for "about 4 seconds". He said he in no way indicated that Gray had done those injuries to himself. How does light banging on the wall lead to your spine getting severed, three vertebrae smashed, and your voice box crushed? It sounds more consistent with the feeble throes of a dying man.

5) The time between Gray getting driven away from the first location and the 2nd man being placed in the vehicle at the second location was 38 minutes, even though the two locations are only 2 minutes apart. What happened during those 38 minutes?

6) In the video of the police loading him into the van, you can tell that his legs don't work right. Something was seriously wrong before he was even placed in the van.

Of course, you bought their story hook, line, and sinker, without even checking to see if the witness verified the story himself or thinking about whether such a story made the slightest logical sense.

Edited by Bangkok Herps

Wow...you appear to be quite emotionally involved in this incident.

Do you think that might create some difficulty for you to remain impartial and open-minded?

I didn't read most of your post but skipped down to 6. Are you saying that the dead guy' might have had serious injuries prior to his arrest?

Thats quite interesting.

Cheers

Edited by ClutchClark

Do you think that might create some difficulty for you to remain impartial and open-minded?

I didn't read most of your post but skipped down to 6. Are you saying that the dead guy' might have had serious injuries prior to his arrest?

Thats quite interesting.

Cheers

You skipped the points you couldn't refute, but just happened to read #6 and feel like responding to that. Right.

He didn't have injuries before his arrest. He had injuries before he was placed in the van. You already knew that the arrest occurred before he was placed in the van, right? Think about it for a second.

Everyone, including the police, knows that there were already serious injuries before the van ride. That's why the arresting officers, and not just the driver, are all catching charges. Watch the videos here, look at how limp his body is, and note the witnesses who said that it looked like his legs were broken BEFORE he even got the rough ride that killed him.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3089495/New-video-shows-cops-taking-limp-Freddie-Gray-police-van-putting-leg-shackles-loading-head-bystanders-pleaded-officers-help-him.html

p.s. - Trying to demean other posters isn't a replacement for a logical argument. Half your post is you trying to make up stuff about me, half of your post is you badly misreading one point I wrote, and none of your post even attempts to refute any of my factual points. Doesn't speak well for what you think of the merits of your own argument.

Edited by Bangkok Herps

Thats quite interesting.

Cheers

Riiight...you skipped the points you couldn't refute, but "just happened" to read #6 and feel like responding to that.

He didn't have injuries before his arrest. He had injuries before he was placed in the van. You already knew that he was arrested before he was placed in the van, right?

It's common knowledge that there were already serious injuries before the van ride. That's why the arresting officers, and not just the driver, are all catching charges. Watch the videos here, look at how limp his body is, and note the witnesses who said that it looked like his legs were broken BEFORE he even got the rough ride that killed him.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3089495/New-video-shows-cops-taking-limp-Freddie-Gray-police-van-putting-leg-shackles-loading-head-bystanders-pleaded-officers-help-him.html

p.s. - Trying to demean other posters isn't a replacement for a logical argument. Half your post is you trying to make up stuff about me, half of your post is you badly misreading 1 point I wrote, and none of your post even attempts to refute any of my factual points. Doesn't speak well for what you think of the merits of your own argument.

No disrespect but I honestly didn't read your post until I jumped to the bottom. Just like this most recent post of yours--I didn't even skim this one. Nothing personal but I really didn't care what you had to say because I could quickly see you are one of those guys way too emotionally invested and not open to logical discussion.

I am sorry. Its nothing personal against you. I just don't feel very strongly about this guy dying. I do however have some concerns about the LEOs not receiving a fair trial.

Hopefully we can find a fun topic to BS about in the future.

Edited by ClutchClark

Ladies and gentlemen, your Thaivisa posters in all their glory.

Pure racism combined with baseless claims and a complete lack of actual facts. All in a day's work for keyboard tough guys whose need a lift in life, and thinking their skin color makes them better is pretty much all they got.

The fact that a guy was beat to death for the exact "offense" that some of these same posters have been supporting in other threads (carrying a weapon), or that the family didn't even file a lawsuit, or that wild baseless stereotypes like these and the amount of melanin in one's skin has no causative relationship....nah, stop talking logic, you're making them think too hard.

Your the one who lacks ACTUAL FACTS.

Freddie Gray was not "beaten" to death - he died from a spinal core & neck injuries.

You say the family didn't even file a lawsuit - not so. A claim for compensation was brought by Gray's estate, including Freddie Carlos Gray Sr. and Gloria Darden (Gray's father & mother). Gray family attorneys filed a lawsuit after results of the investigation by the Justice Dept. were completed.

Freddie Gray had over 18 arrests for everything from fourth degree burglary, second degree assault, to narcotics and drug possession and distribution.

$9 million dollars in damage to city, 285 to 350 businesses damaged, 150 vehicle fires, 60 structure fires, 27 drugstores looted, 113 police officers injured and your only explanation is that people who bring the FACTS out has something to do with melanin levels of ones skin?

Before you start labeling everyone racist for expressing they're opinion - you should get your FACTS straight first.

I was born and raised in Baltimore and remember when it was a decent city. It's a war zone in many areas now.

I think your the wanna be "keyboard tough guy" who has no idea of what the hell your talking about.

post-228356-0-55067800-1445849661_thumb.