Bangkok's New Airport To Change The Face Of Seedy Pattaya

george

Look mate people are paying over two pound a pint in the bars

of Pattaya,

That is not <deleted> cheap.

One more bar owner post on Tv.

Property developers, Estate agents, Bar owners.

Is there any real people out there in the Pattaya section of Tv.

Yawn.

Funny, I pay 65-75 for a bottle of Chang or Singha in the bars I go to. So do my friends.

Up to others if they want to pay 150 or more, there will always be people happy to take it from them.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just skimmed this article but it seems to me that TAT has only one vision for tourism anywhere in Thailand and that is a proliferation of high-rise developmnets and shopping malls.

Is there any mention of cleaning up the sea, the environment or anything that an educated tourist from western countries would look for?

It can only come down to the lowest common denominator....and a characterless seaside concrete lanscape catering for busloads of mindless sheep frogmarched from hotel to beach to restaurant and back to hotel.

This vision is wheeled out for every inch of coastline in Thailand.

That's what brings in the money. I think TAT [money]wisely looks towards Asian tourists just as much as westerners.

The Neckermanns bring loads of cash and the 1-week Asian tourbus-group bring in lots of cash.

It's true that TAT needs to look after the pretty beaches, too, but for one thing, Aisans don't roast on the beach, that seems to be a western trait.

Eco - tourists can bring money, too, but it's a bit of a niche market - Costa Rica is a great example for that. The TAT is very far from that, can't really imagine they could pull something like that even though there would be enough marine parks around to do so.

I've just skimmed this article but it seems to me that TAT has only one vision for tourism anywhere in Thailand and that is a proliferation of high-rise developmnets and shopping malls.

Is there any mention of cleaning up the sea, the environment or anything that an educated tourist from western countries would look for?

It can only come down to the lowest common denominator....and a characterless seaside concrete lanscape catering for busloads of mindless sheep frogmarched from hotel to beach to restaurant and back to hotel.

This vision is wheeled out for every inch of coastline in Thailand.

That's what brings in the money. I think TAT [money]wisely looks towards Asian tourists just as much as westerners.

The Neckermanns bring loads of cash and the 1-week Asian tourbus-group bring in lots of cash.

It's true that TAT needs to look after the pretty beaches, too, but for one thing, Aisans don't roast on the beach, that seems to be a western trait.

Eco - tourists can bring money, too, but it's a bit of a niche market - Costa Rica is a great example for that. The TAT is very far from that, can't really imagine they could pull something like that even though there would be enough marine parks around to do so.

I'm very dissapointed in this reply...it doesn't actually seem to connect with the issues at all,also it's wildly inaccurate and makes some ridiculous assumptions about world tourismand its future.

• 4 months later...
I believe it was said in relation to the clueless post that said Pattaya was the cheapest place in Thailand... :o

the clueless report that pattaya was the cheapest tourist area in thailand was posted by me.

im an ex pat , 4 year business owner in pattaya and fairly well travelled throughout thailand.

show me a cheaper tourist destination in thailand than pattaya. its certainly not bangkok , phuket , samui , chang mai or hau hin.

accomodation is amongst the cheapest worldwide, beer is on average 70 b not 2 quid as some uninformed poster posted a few posts ago, barfines and costs involved in taking ladies cheaper too.

i do not suggest to you that pattaya is the model city , i know there are problems here in infrastructure , crime etc , but it is still the best value , top night life venue in all thailand , not all of us live life for the beach.

incidentally its still the biggest and busiest in terms of good nightlife spot in all thailand too.