Buying new laptop - what to install - Windows 8 or 10?

jko

Realise the pros/cons for/against W8 and W10 have already been discussed, but a short answer to this might also help others in my position.

I need to buy a new laptop quickly. Based on personal experience:

Who would definitely recommend W10? (obviously with full privacy options enabled)

Who would say a definite no-no to W10, and go with W8?

Grateful for input -thanks folks.

=

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I reckon Windows 10, had 8.1 only for two weeks on a school computer. It seems that Windows still needs to fix some things, but definitely 10.

Don't make the usual set up what Windows recommends. I'm running 10 on a school computer and my PC at home and it's okay.

I'd never ever want Windows 8.1 back. .

Here come the naysayers, conspiracy theorists and people scared of change. If you're just doing everyday tasks (web browsing, email, music and video) then go for Windows 10. If you use specialized or professional software then it might be worthwhile checking compatibility issues beforehand. Also worth making sure that the laptop you buy is compatible with Windows 10, which it should be if new. A few seconds of Googling will inform you of this. Been using Win10 on 3 different computers since May and have not had any problems.

If you're paranoid about Windows spying on you (solipsism is quite funny with pc users, noone really cares about you that much) then heres a bunch of apps to make you feel warm and cuddly:

http://bgr.com/2015/08/14/windows-10-spying-prevention-privacy-tools/

Here come the naysayers, conspiracy theorists and people scared of change. If you're just doing everyday tasks (web browsing, email, music and video) then go for Windows 10. If you use specialized or professional software then it might be worthwhile checking compatibility issues beforehand. Also worth making sure that the laptop you buy is compatible with Windows 10, which it should be if new. A few seconds of Googling will inform you of this. Been using Win10 on 3 different computers since May and have not had any problems.

If you're paranoid about Windows spying on you (solipsism is quite funny with pc users, noone really cares about you that much) then heres a bunch of apps to make you feel warm and cuddly:

http://bgr.com/2015/08/14/windows-10-spying-prevention-privacy-tools/

Has nothing to do with paranoia, or being a naysayer or scared.

Some people run to get the latest and greatest, but then find out the HDMI port or audio drivers are not working. Could be other drivers that are no longer function as well.

Practicality is what I call it. You may have older hardware (printers, external drives and other devices) whose manufacturers have not yet...or might never...upgrade their drivers.

Software that relies on drivers and these external devices are also a factor.

For those of us that know the drill...we sit and wait for everything to come up to expectations. Jumping the gun and losing a system that works, and getting only eye candy and a bunch of driver/security issues in return...is foolish. If all your hardware and software is running smoothly, why would you upgrade just now? My computer runs and looks great...with no issues whatsovever. I will retain windows 7 ...although Linux is my preference (a hundred times more reliable..and free).

You all just want to jump everytime Microsoft puts a carrot on a stick....without thinking. thats fine. Throw out a good system and put windows 10 on. Just do not go whining about your new problems.

Edited by slipperylobster

Neither.

Windows 7 is the best and most reliable. Install that. Skip windows 8...it is crap.

Windows 10 users are just beginning to report driver and security issues. There is really nothing great about windows 10.

Stick to windows 7, until Microsoft removes their head from their burger buns.

I agree, I was home in New Zealand couple months ago and bought a new Acer it had W8 I got it changed to W7 much better. 8 is shit with problems.

I bought a new laptop with windows 8...

I didn't get on with it at all, I was looking into loading windows 7 then the option to upgrade free to 10 popped up.

So I took it up.

It was very easy to do but I did have a problem when it was loaded.

I had no sound!!

Apparently this problem is not unknown, there are tips on google about how to rectify this.

If you upgrade and have this sound problem I'm sorry, I can't tell you how how to fix it.

I have teamviewer installed, my son fixed it for me...

All the best.

If you like most home users have no special Windows programs that you need to use, I agree with Recycler: Try Linux, Ubuntu or my preferred flavor, Linux Mint. Don't let the fact that it's free put you off. Mint and Ubuntu are stable, easy to use and have all the bells and whistles you will need/want.

You have to consider the driver issues when buying new laptops today. I believe it was NOC who commented that new mainboards are not compatible with Win7 drivers? I haven't heard about this but wouldn't dismiss it. Also on the issue of Win7, getting a legal copy of 7 here in Thailand to install may be a problem; if you have your own copy, then you can of course re-format to 7, but be aware of the drivers.

I look after about 30 workstations and 10 laptops, running Win8.1 and with the exception of only one of them (specific software program related), have never had a problem with any of them. The majority of the bad press regarding Win 8.1 comes from the default settings, in particular the Metro screen and no start menu. Come to terms with this (disable Metro and use a 3rd party start menu) and you will find, as an operating system, it is extremely stable.

So from me, get a laptop with 8.1, on new machines all drivers will be available. You then have the option of upgrading to W10 at your leisure.

Regardless of the Windows version desired when making a new computer buy, read the sales ad closely as to what operating system comes factory installed. In Thailand (and many other countries), the great majority of new computers do not come with Windows installed to reduce the computer's price in case the customer wanted to install another OS instead or maybe already had a copy of Windows to install. Instead, usually FreeDOS and sometimes a version of Linux such as Ubuntu which is free is installed. And just because the online ad may show a Windows display on the computer's screen or that store display model has Windows on it, does not necessarily mean it comes with Windows. Very common for store display models to have some version of Windows installed just so the customer can play with the model as they will likely be installing Windows--but that does not mean yours will come with Windows---read the sales ad closely/ask the sales clerk as to what OS is included.

If you like most home users have no special Windows programs that you need to use, I agree with Recycler: Try Linux, Ubuntu or my preferred flavor, Linux Mint. Don't let the fact that it's free put you off. Mint and Ubuntu are stable, easy to use and have all the bells and whistles you will need/want.

It is certainly an option to change to Linux for home use. However, the OP has said he needs a quick replacement, and i don't think that means retraining to a new OS.

In general, the majority of people hate change anyway............................wink.png

Regardless of the Windows version desired when making a new computer buy, read the sales ad closely as to what operating system comes factory installed. In Thailand (and many other countries), the great majority of new computers do not come with Windows installed to reduce the computer's price in case the customer wanted to install another OS instead or maybe already had a copy of Windows to install. Instead, usually FreeDOS and sometimes a version of Linux such as Ubuntu which is free is installed. And just because the online ad may show a Windows display on the computer's screen or that store display model has Windows on it, does not necessarily mean it comes with Windows. Very common for store display models to have some version of Windows installed just so the customer can play with the model as they will likely be installing Windows--but that does not mean yours will come with Windows---read the sales ad closely/ask the sales clerk as to what OS is included.

Up here (Phits) unless you are buying from the appointed distributor with an OEM installed, you will receive a new notebook/PC with an image installed comprising of a pirate OS along with what the store considers you will need; Photoshop, Acrobat, media players, freeware AV and a couple of thousand games.

It is really quite astounding the number of people who believe these 'additions' to being part of the windows OS, and when told about the cost of individual (legit) licences for the bundled software don't believe it.

I've seen some laptops come with Ubuntu pre-installed.

Even if the laptop comes with windows you can install ubuntu side-by-side, to play around with, and one day take the leap.

Some manufacturers (e.g: HP) are however making it difficult to have a dual-boot (Windows and Ubuntu) setup with the Efi system partitions. So you may have to choose one or the other. Although, easy if you just wipe the hard drive and install ubuntu only.

If you decide to keep the windows that came pre-installed and install ubuntu side-by-side, you can, but need to go on youtube, and other websites read-up and do some additional work. I chose this option, the windows partition is there on my system, to boot this, I just rename one of the boot drive files..and restart computer. Never had to do it (only used ubuntu since install).

When buying new computer also ask about hardware upgrade options. Most importantly the maximum memory you can install and number of memory slots available (my notebook was advertised as 2 slots but on inspection has only 1 slot). You can upgrade processor, but unlikely you will do it on notebook computer. You can also upgrade your hardrive to solid state hard drive. Worth finding out if there are new laptops that come with solid state drives.

All depends on what you will use notebook for. If its just basic wordprocessing, and e-mailing it may be overkill. However, even for internet browsing, I've noticed chrome, firefox and other browsers do use a lot of memory when you open 10+ tabs/windows.

Edited by meltingpot2015

Whatever Windows OS you use with your laptop be sure to install the drivers/utilities/BIOS updates from the laptop manufacturer's driver support website to ensure best performance, stability, etc. Too many people just use the drivers that come with Windows which may work but can still cause some glitches/issues (maybe intermittent) with your laptop...install the latest drivers from the manufacturer's driver support website for your particular model and the glitches/issues should disappear. And many manufacturers are pumping-out updated Win 10 drivers daily. Example: for my Lenovo Z510 laptop a bunch of Win 10 drivers were released a few weeks before Win 10 was officially released to the public on 29 July....and since them they have updated some of those drivers....released two updates for the Wifi and Bluetooth just a few days ago....these were updates to the initial Win 10 Wifi and BT drivers released about a month earlier.

Yeap, use drivers from your laptop manufacturer's for best results as laptops can be downright picky about their drivers....much more so than desktops.