Part Of Sukhumvit Road To Be Closed For Skytrain Construction

Jai Dee

Part of Sukhumvit Road to be closed for skytrain construction

An outbound traffic lane on the Sukhumvit Road will be closed from October 1 onward for the extension of Skytrain route.

The closing will affect a two-kilometre stretch between Soi Sukhumvit 83 to Sukhumvit 101/1.

"Motorists should avoid this portion and go for alternative routes," Bangkok Metropolitan Administration's spokesman Isara Suntornwat said Tuesday.

Source: The Nation - 26 September 2006

It depends on where you want to go in which direction.

Figure on around 2 years work as will actually go past Suk 101/1 out to uk 107 which is the other side on the Bang Na Trat highway and expressway.

If you are coming up from Suk 22/31 and want to go out to Bang Na go over to Rama 4, up to the Port upramp and onto the expressway and the same going the other way. You can get into 101/1 from 103 but that will be jammed up 22 hours a day. You can use On Nut (Suk 77) or Sri Nakharin across towards Petchburi road.

There are quite a few routes but be warned that the Thai drivers in Bangkok know them all anyway.

I was thinking more about the bus routes from Samut P/Theparak via Imperial World/Samrong and down to On -Nut.

Usually stagger back from Soi 1-33 on the wee green Mercs that drops me off again at Imp World (late night noodle nosh ...and beer )and then jump a 6 bt Song Tel back to the gaff...

...where will these be re -routed?

At the moment and on a good night because its a straight road it dosnt take too long...30-45 mins but now it might be cheaper buying another condo nearer the pubs.... :o

I live just of 64/1 and it is already a nightmare to drive down Sukhumvit, massive bumps and holes everywhere. but for 40 baht you can bypass it all by driving on the tollway.

it will be great once the skytrain is in operation up this end though. they are putting a station very close to my house.

Avoid Sukhumvit roadworks: BMA

BANGKOK: -- An outbound lane on Sukhumvit Road will be closed from Sunday onward to allow construction work to extend the Skytrain.

The closure will affect a two-kilometre stretch between Sukhumvit Soi 83 and Sukhumvit 101/1, which will have only two outbound lanes.

"Motorists should avoid this section and use alternative routes," Bangkok Metropolitan Admin-istration spokesman Isara Suntornwat said yesterday.

He suggested motorists could use the road along the old railway line that runs from Bangchak Petroleum Refinery to Sanphawut Road and then to Phuchao Samingprai Road. He said motorists could turn into Sukhumvit Soi 77, at On Nut, and go straight to Srinakharin Road, then to Theparak Road.

"Motorists can also use the expressway and exit on the Bang Na -Trat Road," Isara said.

The other option is to go via the industrial ring road that runs from Rama III Road to the Phuchao Samingprai Intersection.

Deputy chief of traffic at Phra Khanong police station, Lt Colonel Saranyu Chamnanrat, said congestion could be expected on the outbound lanes especially in the evening after the lane is closed.

"We are preparing to facilitate the traffic flow as best we can.

"We plan to hold the lights on green for longer for the outbound lanes," he said, adding that more traffic police officers would be positioned along the affected stretch.

--The Nation 2006-09-27

I was wondering where they would be rerouting the buses from Sukhumvit. In particular I was wondering about the BTS shuttle bus to Onnut.

The thing is I went to the BTS site but the only shuttle bus map there now is for Ploen Chit. Has the Onnut shuttle bus been cancelled? That would be a bummer.

I don't think they'll be re-routed because it's only one lane that will be closed.

The rush-hour traffic is absolutely f**ked on Teparak-Sukhumvit-Srinakharin already with the roadworks that are going on. With this BTS extension starting, if you're in Samutprakan getting to town will probably take the same time as Korat-Krungtep.

I was wondering where they would be rerouting the buses from Sukhumvit. In particular I was wondering about the BTS shuttle bus to Onnut.

The thing is I went to the BTS site but the only shuttle bus map there now is for Ploen Chit. Has the Onnut shuttle bus been cancelled? That would be a bummer.

Yes it has from the beginning of the month :o

I don't think they'll be re-routed because it's only one lane that will be closed.

The rush-hour traffic is absolutely f**ked on Teparak-Sukhumvit-Srinakharin already with the roadworks that are going on. With this BTS extension starting, if you're in Samutprakan getting to town will probably take the same time as Korat-Krungtep.

Agree ..and has been for the last couple of years.

If I jump on the 116 on the T-Para depending on the time it takes to turn right into Suk/samrong I can usually work out how long the rest of the journey will be to ON-Nut. ...Rot F Far

Even after all this time I have never stayed on it (the 116 ) which I believe then takes the back road and terminates somewhere down near Silom..must try it sometime.

Also whats the score with the new Outer Ring (ling) Road?...there is an approach just after the "Chang Yai "Rt hand side >>Sam Prat which on last visit looked not too far from completion.

From there it swings up and over Suk towards (over) Sri Nak and heads out in the direction of the new Airport.

Should be handy... :o

Yes it has from the beginning of the month :o

Thanks -- I guess. Will have to find alternate modes when I'm there.

Agree ..and has been for the last couple of years.

My journey to work doubled timewise about 3-4 months ago. If I can make the 4km to Samrong in less than an hour I'm feeling blessed.

With all the bridges they're building across the junctions on Srinakharin everybody in Samutprakan is using Teparak and Sukhumvit. I usually take the Old Railway route but that has been out of action for months because of roadworks (due to reopen for inbound traffic on 5th October though).

The Sukhumvit tailback hits the Naval Academy most days and from the radio some mornings I hear people at a standstill on the wrong side of Paknam. Teparak is usually back to Mooban Tippawan by about 6.15. The Outer Ring Road is still a way off completion but has made a mess of the road in front of the Toyota factory and combined with the new bridge opening and encouraging people to head off down Poojao road it's pretty horrible down there of a morning.

It'll all be perfect when everything's finished though. :o

Guest RealEstateBroker

So with all this new stuff about to happen, tell me how to get to the new airport from On Nut

Lumpini Villa 77 on a bus or in a taxi. I am now totally confused, and yes I did take a stupid pill.

Thank You for any help !

So with all this new stuff about to happen, tell me how to get to the new airport from On Nut

Lumpini Villa 77 on a bus or in a taxi. I am now totally confused, and yes I did take a stupid pill.

Thank You for any help !

:o:D

I'll bite! The airport's main entrance is on Onnut Rd! Get in a taxi and say "Sue-wanna-poom!"

Do not try to say the airport name the way some clown decided to transliterate it into English!

Sue-varna-boomy will get blank stares or a wave to get out! :D