Relaxation Of Drinking Laws

womble

This is so ironic! A few weeks ago, in an upcountry farang restaurant, my guests and I were denied beer because it was a royal-related holiday. Then, last week, we were in a farang restaurant in Bangkok, after 2 pm. My first thought was that since it was between the hours of 2 and 5, no beer with our late lunch. Surprise, not problem, draft beer was served and went well with the meal.

I wondered if the laws related to this had changed, but, applying Ockham's razor, I assumed it was more likely that the right people were getting tea money! I haven’t heard anything about the afternoon restrictions on purchase of alcohol - maybe they have changed as well.

I know that it seems callow to worry about that, but I’m very tired of not being able to buy everything I need/want at the grocery store in the afternoon! Nevertheless, if decrees, laws and rulings that have been designed to benefit or punish friends and adversaries of the deposed “regime” are abolished for a fresh start that can only be a good thing.

It does not bother me one way or another, my 24/7 drinking days in Thailand are well behind me (although I still like my beer!), funnily enough I was quite happy when the restrictions came in, made me slow down a fair old bit. The "24/7" is not entirely a joke..........

I know places were always open, but being a lazy boozer hunting out places was not really the same as stumbling into and then out of Thermae - or getting the Skytrain home from Patpong.

But for Thailand to compete globally for Western Tourists I am afraid they do NEED to have entertainment (Bars / clubs / restaurants) open 24/7, or at least for "Adult hours"!!! - unless folk ARE coming to Thailand for "only one thing" where an early night is what is actually sought....................

This is so ironic! A few weeks ago, in an upcountry farang restaurant, my guests and I were denied beer because it was a royal-related holiday. Then, last week, we were in a farang restaurant in Bangkok, after 2 pm. My first thought was that since it was between the hours of 2 and 5, no beer with our late lunch. Surprise, not problem, draft beer was served and went well with the meal.

I wondered if the laws related to this had changed, but, applying Ockham's razor, I assumed it was more likely that the right people were getting tea money! I haven’t heard anything about the afternoon restrictions on purchase of alcohol - maybe they have changed as well.

I know that it seems callow to worry about that, but I’m very tired of not being able to buy everything I need/want at the grocery store in the afternoon! Nevertheless, if decrees, laws and rulings that have been designed to benefit or punish friends and adversaries of the deposed “regime” are abolished for a fresh start that can only be a good thing.

I absolutely agree that not being able to buy wine at Big C or Tesco in the afternoon is a pain, as I am rarely in the city early or after 5pm, and locally wine is unavailable... :o

This should be interesting to watch, that is not the tourists but the Thais. I think some of the Thais are seeing The 90/180 visa law may be not such a good idea after all. The interior ministry seem to be trying to compensate for the immigration law. Unfortunately there are two distinctly different economies with this, the tourist economy and the general Thai economy. The 90/180 will have a big negative impact on the general economy because the people that will be effected are integrate into it.

Relaxation of the restrictions will have a positive effect on the tourist economy but it will not be immediate much like turning a big ship. I suspect at least 6 months before changes will show.

At any rate this is getting to be at least for me an interesting observation in human behavior. I wonder what will come out on top, saving face or making money.