Selection of 21-member Thai charter drafting team remains within PM's power

webfact

Interior Minister: Selection of 21-member charter drafting team remains within PM’s power

BANGKOK, 11 September 2015 (NNT) – The Interior Minister has insisted that the selection of the 21 new charter drafters is within the power of the Prime Minister alone.

Interior Minister Anupong Paojinda said on Thursday that the process to select a new 21-member constitution drafting team is up to Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha, who is also the Chief of the National Council for Peace and Order.

Gen. Anupong added that the PM has not discussed the issue with him and he can't share any thoughts about who might be made new charter drafters as the choice is entirely up to Gen. Prayut.

However, he expects the Prime Minister to bring the issue up for discussion at the next meeting between the Cabinet and the NCPO.

The Interior Minister went on to say that there has been some talk about the selection of the members of the new council in charge of advancing the efforts at national reform, particularly the qualifications of the candidates which will include some members of the National Reform Council and former or present civil servants from any ministry as well as others in possession of broad legal knowledge.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-09-11 footer_n.gif

"The Interior Minister has insisted that the selection of the 21 new charter drafters is within the power of the Prime Minister alone."

The PM, who've said he will not influence the next draft committee? Oh, I keep forgetting he also said there would be no coup and that he did not want to become PM.

Move along, nothing to see here!

thumbsup.gif

But, but, but........

Prayut vows to keep his hands off new charter

They're too busy back-pedaling to move forward.

EDIT: .......I'm neither red nor yellow.

I'm just anti-idiot.

Well put, so am I. Unfortunately that makes us red shirts to the junta lovers.

thumbsup.gif I'm a gray shirt Brother.

I watched far too much Star Trek to be a red shirt.

Thaksin was as crooked as ever.

Current powers that be are just as bad.

----------------------

I'm from the US & another American asked me a few days ago if I was going to vote for Trump or blah, blah, blah.

I told him I had already voted for the last time.... With my feet.

They are ALL crooks.

Maybe the pm should draft the charter and just select 21 people, at random of course, who are blessed with the opportunity to vote on it.

I know, i know, he has probably already thought of it under his section 44, for the good of the country only. Without the "ory" of course!

Maybe the pm should draft the charter and just select 21 people, at random of course, who are blessed with the opportunity to vote on it.

I know, i know, he has probably already thought of it under his section 44, for the good of the country only. Without the "ory" of course!

You have a great idea, but I once heard that the (one of the) Thai constitution(s) was about 2,000 pages long = enough to give a battalion of lawyers a century to unravel.

It should be 10 - 20 pages, but it apparently is not.

If they want peace and reconciliation to return , my guess is that the 1997 charter would best achieve it .

Any sort of restrictive , preventative charter , that will prevent true democratic elections is going to fail , if not voted down by the NRC , at a national referendum .

Maybe this is by design , for the government to be seen going through the motions of a return to democracy , while in fact they want to continue to govern for the foreseeable future .