Help with Specs for new desktop please

Konini

Hello everybody

I'm about to buy a new desktop pc, I have a specific reason for wanting a desktop and not a laptop or an all in one beastie. I'll sort out a monitor, keyboard and mouse, so all I need is the case and what goes inside. All of my USB/HDMI/Network/Audio outlets and jacks are taken as read.

For the first time, I don't need a machine that will actually do anything beyond surfing the web, streaming video and downloading/watching video. Ideally, I will be set up to dual boot Windows 10 and Android (there are some apps only available on Android that I really like, I'm currently running Android inside Windows using Bluestack, but I haven't tried anything exotic like streaming, so I don't know what the video quality would be like). This isn't a biggie, but advice on whether to run Android as a separate boot or from inside with Bluestack would be appreciated.

My current laptop specs would probably suffice with a better video card, possibly more than suffice - I have an i5 with 4GB ram and a 250 SSD. I like the SSD because it loads fast and I'm very impatient, so even if I get a standard pre-built one I will ask them to install an SSD used only for the operating system/apps and use the existing drive for installing 3rd party programs and storing data. I don't use a lot of 3rd party programs any more, and even then, I wouldn't have more than one open at a time (it's nice to be just playing and not working) and the only gaming I do is Minesweeper (of which I should be called world champion). The only other thing I should mention is that between my husband and myself, it will be on about 18 hours a day, being actively used for most of that.

And that's it. In short, I want fast response (particularly start up), but all I'll be doing is browsing and watching video. Money isn't really an issue, more a case of me getting myself a sledge hammer when a toffee hammer would do the job perfectly fine; I don't mind spending money, but I don't like to waste it, and I know I don't need one of the high end rigs, I just don't know how low would be acceptable.

So, if I could get opinions on what processor, audio and video card (doesn't have to be surround sound standard, I have a perfectly good home theatre for serious views, this is really only for when I'm lying on the sun bed), and how much RAM I would need. I'm thinking a minimum i5 with 8GB and a 160 SSD; is this overkill for my needs or do I need higher?

Thank you in advance for any opinions.

I bought an Acer desktop about 18-24 months ago.

i5 processor

1 TB HD

8 GB RaM

nVIDIA GT 620 graphics card

The only thing I added was a 256 GB SSD (Kingston Hyperdrive) for the OS and important files

It has been turned on almost continuously and used (of course) every day.

I don't recall what I paid, bought it in Powerbuy at Fortune Town.

Would definitely buy another.

Edited by seancbk

I think I would tend to stay away from a manufacturer and just go to a shop that i trusted and get one built to my specs.

For you that would be easy just take what you have and ask them to put that or more in the computer. If you are going to download movies might be an idea to get a 2t drive for that.

i5 with 4GB ram and a 250 SSD is your laptop?

what is the GPU (Video card)?

If you upgraded your Ram to 8GB you will find it will do most everything you need

Would run Windows 10 dule boot no problem

Grapics This GPU is overkill for Minesweeper but you seemed to have wanted a dedicated GUP??

Total cost ฿21,750.00 Not including Opperating system

That system would last you some years unless you wanted the latest and greatest it would FLY on Windows 10 or Adroid

It would also be easily upgradable for any of the components.. also side upgradable with more Storage drives by adding a 2nd or 3rd Normal 1,2,3,4 TB HDD for storage of movies ect..

My Asus Windows 7 laptop is i5 with 8GB ram and a 250 SSD. Its lightning fast and I use it only for downloading movies to a 1TB portable HDD. Its about 4 years old and still going strong. Ive had to reinstall Windows 7 a couple of times and I changed the HDD to a SSD a couple of years ago. I used to use it for work but now its just a machine for downloading

My Macbook Pro Retina is 3.1 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB ram, Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB. Again this is lightning fast but I don't have any freezing/locking issues that Windows gives you. The retina screen is unbelievably crisp and clear.

I'll disagree slightly with dutchweller's post above. If you're getting a new system, having a new system built, or even better -- building it yourself, get the best parts you can get, especially if money is no object. Reason? The system will last (continue to meet your needs) for a longer period of time.

I built a system back in 2008 or 2009. Used the best parts I could get at the time, but my 3.16gHz E8500 cpu predates both i5 and i7. Even so, I've been running it at 3.5gHz for the past 6-7 years. I have replaced a couple of disk drives during that time, but that's to be expected. Top of the line nVidea card back in 2008/9. Only 4Gb of memory, though that still seems enough to me.

Nothing in my desktop box appears obsolete yet, and though newer stuff has come along, I can think of no compelling reason to upgrade. All the compilers and video editing software are still running lickity-split. Windoze 10 32 and 64 bit are installed and working fine, though I see no great virtue in booting either of those rather than W7 64-bit. Other operating systems are run in VirtualBox, no problem.

Offhand, I'd guess the system I have will meet my performance needs for another 4-5 years at least, barring equipment failure. That's quite a long time for any computer to last.

When I finally DO have to build another desktop box, I'll do it exactly the same way: top of the line parts, all the way around. The best I can get at the time, whatever that might be.

Have fun. smile.png

I'll disagree slightly with dutchweller's post above. If you're getting a new system, having a new system built, or even better -- building it yourself, get the best parts you can get, especially if money is no object. Reason? The system will last (continue to meet your needs) for a longer period of time.

I built a system back in 2008 or 2009. Used the best parts I could get at the time, but my 3.16gHz E8500 cpu predates both i5 and i7. Even so, I've been running it at 3.5gHz for the past 6-7 years. I have replaced a couple of disk drives during that time, but that's to be expected. Top of the line nVidea card back in 2008/9. Only 4Gb of memory, though that still seems enough to me.

Nothing in my desktop box appears obsolete yet, and though newer stuff has come along, I can think of no compelling reason to upgrade. All the compilers and video editing software are still running lickity-split. Windoze 10 32 and 64 bit are installed and working fine, though I see no great virtue in booting either of those rather than W7 64-bit. Other operating systems are run in VirtualBox, no problem.

Offhand, I'd guess the system I have will meet my performance needs for another 4-5 years at least, barring equipment failure. That's quite a long time for any computer to last.

When I finally DO have to build another desktop box, I'll do it exactly the same way: top of the line parts, all the way around. The best I can get at the time, whatever that might be.

Have fun. smile.png

Sorry man I have to dissagree

If your getting the latest and greatest especally in PC parts your paying a Huge premium for it

When I do a build I genrally go for 1 grade lower than the latest Bleeding edge tech

for example compare

GeForce GTX 970 vs 960

GTX 970 ฿13,300.00

GTX 960 ฿9,390.00

Qute the premium for not much of a gain IMO

Or look at the prices of RAM when the new DDR4 came out it was priced at almost 2x the price of the same amouth of RAM in DD3 and the tests proved that the gains were poor at best.

Also if you dont get all the Top end parts across the board you will bottelneck the advangae you gained form the higher proformance parts and really make no gain for money spent.

Yea I was thinking that too

You can pick em up on AMAZON for 150 with WIndows installed

for that price you can chuck on some HDD by usb 3.0 and you will have a nice little STreambox with PC support

Why do you want a desktop only?

Mine is probably way overspeced to your needs as I sometimes work with high end software, but have a look on eBay, there are some great deals to be had:

I bought a refurbished Dell M4700 laptop (but classified as a workstation) off eBay US for $US700... still had a year warranty left!

The machine is a screamer (16gb ram upgradable to 32gb), 2GB NVidia quadro w/2GB ram, I put a 250 GB SSD (~THB4000) in it and removed the CD and replaced it with the original 700gb hard drive. A 1tb USB hard drive tops the storage off a bit nicer

Although it's a laptop, I use a docking station (bought at Fortune Town 2nd hand for THB300) and it is every bit as stationary as a desktop, with the added convenience of an extra screen and mobility.

from OP:

For the first time, I don't need a machine that will actually do anything beyond surfing the web, streaming video and downloading/watching video.

In short, I want fast response (particularly start up), but all I'll be doing is browsing and watching video

Based on the OP's stated usage, why would a discrete graphics card even be needed? The iGPU in the Intel processors since Ivy Bridge have been adequate for browsing and watching video.

Thanks for the help so far. To answer a few questions, yes i5 with 2gb ram (not 4 as I thought) and 250 ssd is my current, don't know what graphics the graphics or audio cards are, CCleaner tells me the following:

i5 CPU M 450 @ 2.40GH, 2gb RAM, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 545v - that is the limit of what I can find and I hope it makes sense to someone. It's a Samsung and I've had it 4 or 5 years, the longest I've ever had a laptop for. The only money I've put into it is a new battery and replaced the 500b drive with a 250 ssd and a couple of new keyboards and power supply, in both of those cases my fault for not being careful. It's still running OK, getting a bit tatty around the edges, the on/off button is a soft one and over the last year I've been getting a bit worried that it will one day give up the ghost altogether. One of the 3 usb ports will only work the cooling fan, not enough power even for the mouse which is always plugged in. The screen is showing signs of wear too. I know that it will last for years and years if I only use it when we go away (3 or 4 times a year for a month or so), but with constant heavy use I don't know how long. I'm not worried about failure, I only have a couple of data files and they are backed up. Everything else I need is easily available with a couple of old gems backed up. I can do a complete reinstall of Windows 7 with all the programs I use (and some of those I may only use once a year) in less than an hour. I don't have anything fancy or exotic nowadays, really don't need it.

The laptop is strapped for safety onto one of those floor standing desks that pull over your lap with the legs going under you (I'm not very good at explaining things), and I have a 1tb external drive permanently hooked up for storage (apart from when we go away). This means that with the mouse I have both good USB ports in use and have to unplug one when I want something else in. Reason for it having this permanent home is partly because I have some serious back problems and it stops me from curling up in really awkward positions with it on my lap or stomach. I know I should sit at a desk in a chair blah, blah - sitting at a desk writing code for 16 plus hours a day for 20 years is how my back got stuffed. I can have the best intentions but I will not carry them out, so I make allowances for it. Also, I found that it's actually quite nice not to have it on my lap all the time and because the desk is on an angle the screen is maybe 6 inches higher than when it's on my lap, which I find nice. My reason for thinking a desktop would be more suitable is two fold, firstly that I want to have the SSD and there isn't enough room in the laptop for another hard drive (I'm assuming there, I really have no idea what is inside the thing, and I've always been more software orientated and not really that interested in learning about hardware. Besides, I'm too old for that now. And too clumsy). The other reason is more complicated (below).

My laptop desk is a bit rickety, so I'm going to have a stand with a swinging arm made, then I can use it in the lounge, on the sun lounger or in bed. I will have the monitor fixed to the arm with a bracket, and underneath have a small but wide angled shelf for a keyboard and mouse. Undecided whether to go wireless or have the box on the base of the stand. I could do it with a laptop, but I'd have to have a separate keyboard as I want it a fair bit closer than the screen. I'd also pay a lot more for a laptop with a 20 inch screen.

The reason I think I need a graphics card is basically because I have one now. I really don't know. No gaming but movies, the current laptop only has a 1366x768 display and I've got used to watching much better quality from the TV and tablet, perhaps onboard graphics would suffice, I don't know the answer to that. A 20 inch tablet might just do the trick, and I know transformer laptops are going that way, but those with bigger screens really are top end and it would be wasteful money-wise. As I said, it's not a problem, I'll spend what I need to, but I've been buying computers since my Sinclair then Amstrad, always paying a premium for the latest upgradeable, always throwing it away 18 months later as it's been worthless and buying new. I know the advances aren't seeming to go as quickly as they did from the early 1980's to about 2005, but I honestly can't see the point in wasting money on grunt that I don't need and more importantly will never need again. I have an 18 month old 3D smart television that still has the 3D glasses sealed in plastic and we watch things I've downloaded onto a USB disk because the TV doesn't think the files in my shared folder occasionally get deleted and replaced (common problem apparently), and I really can't be bothered finding a solution. I did look for a while, but I really prefer to download in advance so that there is never any site gone down or streaming buffer and we can stop and start knowing that will start as soon as we press play. Our habits aren't going to change now. I've always bought the latest and greatest, but I don't need to do that any more. I won't ever need better quality than the 2560x1600 that is on the tablet (but I would like to get that quality, it's very nice), we aren't going to buy another TV in our lifetime so if things get even better, and my eyes can't tell the difference between our TV and Ultra HD, we won't know it exists so won't want it.

My reason for avoiding the All In One things are basically because they are new and it's human nature to abhor change, I don't know how long they've been out or how well they perform, and I know that a monitor will be not as heavy for the swinging arm as an all in one, desktop would be more cost efficient than a laptop - more upgradeable if I want (larger monitor readily available for much less money than a corresponding laptop screen and it would probably be the only thing I'd upgrade). Also in the back of my mind is that old thing about having a fridge/freezer or washer/dryer; when the fridge or the dryer goes kaput, the whole thing is knackered. Much better have separate, because; break. I'm old, I think of these things.

I think that's it, but if anyone needs more, I can ramble like you couldn't imagine.

Yea I was thinking that too

You can pick em up on AMAZON for 150 with WIndows installed

for that price you can chuck on some HDD by usb 3.0 and you will have a nice little STreambox with PC support

I liked my first one so much I bought a 2nd (both android) then bought a windows one. You cannot beat the performance of these little boxs for everyday computer use and media streaming. Even does HD without a hiccup. Buy a SSD for external storage and you are in the game. Total spent for my THREE computers was 15000 baht.

I just built one for my 65 inch Samsung UHDTV.

Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 4790

Mainboard Asus H97-B3h

Memory DDRIII 32GB

SSD 256 GB

Display Card - STRIX GTX980 4GB

3x 4TB Raid for storage

It is a bit overkill but I won't have to do any upgrades in the near future.. plays 4k content without a hitch including up scalling my 1080p movies. I have been watching some content online using my 100Mb/s 3bb FTTX line.

Kurt

If you are in BKK, go to Mega Bangna Mall and see Chairat in a storefront near Big C on the concourse to the shuttle drop-off, or you can call him at 0867851842. He built a machine very similar to what you are seeking and it is superb. Price was right as well with video card, SSD, USB ports, processor, RAM, and everything else built exactly to spec. You will thank yourself if you follow this advice.

The standard now is 8 gig of ram 1 T of hard drive with I5 processor and 1 gig vid card, go the I 7 up the ram to 16 and this machine will still be very relevant in 4 yes time and super fast.

I agree that 8gb is really the minimum to run current windows and office software comfortable... I bought my first Dell M6300 back in 2007 I believe and I just put it to bed a few months ago, almost 8 years later...

Back then it cost me $4500 with 8gb ram and a 1gb video card, but when you spread that cost over the 8 years, it's pretty low.

I lucked out getting the machine I just upgraded to, and I expect it to last at least 5 years with it's current spec.

In the end, I think building/buying your machine with the best and most you can afford is the way to go, as it will return you with many years of good and hassle-free service

All depends how fast you wany it and how long expected to last...

Without screen 10-12k is plenty for what you describe.

Ssd with 8gb ram and low i3 or high pentium is fast for all you mentioned, ssd makes a world of difference. Anyone saying i7 is wasting your money (nice pc, but you wont notice based on usage described).

If you want android in a virtual machine rather, maybe i5 would be justified (check vtx or vtd) but better getting a dedicated android box for 2k.

Get a motherboard with empty ram slots for easy upgrade later when prices drop but before type is discontinued. 8gb plenty for you now, 16gb nice but overkill.

Forget graphics card...browsing, streaming and minesweeper dont need it (unless you are playing 3d minesweeper pro in 4k?!)

If you want it to last spend a bit extra on case, power supply and cpu cooler, often overlooked.

Spend 12k now rather than the 25k others suggest...put 12k in an interest earning account and in 2 years buy a replacement faster, cheaper and newer than the 25k overkill machine is today.

Very simple, buy an Apple iMac and you have everything what you need for at least four years, a little bit pricey but no hassle with virus software etc. I have 25 year experiense of Apple and PC in an Enterprise environment, and I promise you won't regret your purchase. Good luck

except.. Macs suck!

smile.png

Kurt

Well if you don't know how it works I understand you , keep going with windows, and I promise you understand one day dude... Keep on going with your struggle with blue screens and viruses etc...

Ha! Yes, I remember the good ol' days of blue screens and virii... haven't had either since windows 7 tho clap2.gif

Before that, I thought it would be cool to buy a Mac for my wife... we sold it on after 3 or 4 months cuz we just couldn't get use to the interface, maybe we're dumb, but to each his own!

Check out the Maximum PC website. They frequently have recommemded builds for top, medium and low- end machines with complete explanations and building instructions, I often use their base models as inspiration for my own self-built machines. Next I'll be looking at the Sabretooth X99 and its appropriate parts for my next machine which WILL contain a 1 TB SSD and a 4 TB mechanical drive or two. Good luck with your build!

It appears that the OP was a programmer. If this is the case why would he want others to define his requirements? Seems a little odd to me

Who said op was a he? Got more indication that op had a husband than was a programmer, not that either makes any difference.

No, I was the programmer, but that was in another lifetime. I finished work 10 years ago and haven't kept up with anything to do with computers. Even back in the day though, I could program in a lot of different languages but still didn't know a lot about hardware and would get help from my colleagues who were into building PCs and reading PC magazines and going to swap meets on a weekend. It's a field that never had any interest to me. Kind of like the way I drive a car but have no knowledge or interest in how it works beyond checking the oil and water, and then only if I really have to (shhh, that's what husband's are for). It wasn't uncommon back then, a lot of people I worked with didn't have the first idea about machine spec's and would ask the ultra geeks when buying or upgrading, I don't know about now.

I think that you are definitely right about an i7 being a total waste of money, I don't even run MS Office or equivalent now, I have no need for anything beyond Wordpad and a nifty little lightweight spreadsheet program called Spread32. I still use the same Dreamweaver and Fireworks that I downloaded in 2006. I know that there's 9 years of improvements to software and the difference would no doubt blow me away, but I don't need them. For the minimal use I have for them, these old programs work just fine. I know it isn't fashionable to say that, but it's true. In fact, the only 3rd party programs I use on a daily basis apart from Chrome are Internet Download Manager and Total Commander. AntiVirus and Malwarebytes in the background, my Voip program and VLC both 3 or 4 times a week and CCleaner once a week. My needs really are simple nowadays.

I browsed through some monitor reviews last night, and I after reading a lot and thinking about it, I won't realistically need the very high resolution, 1920x1080 is more than enough, I was getting carried away. I have a very expensive tablet and a 42 and 55 inch TV for serious viewing. I still don't know for certain if the resolution was dependent on the monitor or the graphics card - presumably it's a combination, but if I can get 1920x1080 with onboard graphics, then I don't need a dedicated card. It sounds like I could even go down to an i3, but for the small amount of money involved it probably isn't worth moving away from an i5 with 8GB RAM, so that's pretty much settled unless someone comes out with a good reason why not to.

I would appreciate a heads up on if I can run the screen resolution I want from onboard graphics or if I need to get a dedicated card from someone please. The same amount of money would probably be better spent on something to keep everything nice and cool if it isn't necessary.

Also, any opinions on whether to run Android on Bluestacks or or a dual boot? It won't be often and never for anything too serious.

Finally, and I know this is very subjective, any recommendation on who to buy from if I get a no name grunter built in Chiang Mai please. I don't have someone I go to as I've never had the need, the guy who put the SSD in for me only works on laptops.

Thank you all for the help so far by the way, it really is appreciated.