weekend riding group in Bangkok

cgphuket

Hi, wondering if there are any groups that do rides or meet-ups in Bangkok? Not looking for the out-law biker wannabes or posers showing off their million baht bikes, just people who like to ride/explore Bangkok and the surrounding areas..... Any ideas?

Don't live near BKK, but good luck, maybe your idea will spread, even different area groups could meet up for a pow-wow and drinky-poos.

Think we will need at least two classes, nutters and old farts.

Ideas you say..how about a class for old fart nutters called the "Stains Massive" from Ali G. Sorry you have to be Brit to get that.

Edited by AllanB

There was a few but due to,too many idiots on this forum,they don't bother posting anymore they still ride just don't broadcast it on here

Were these idiots on the forum, or idiots on the road, or both?

Either way use an idiot filter, you guys must keep trying, I made quite a few friends when I started a snooker club years ago, we don't play much snooker these days, but the friendships are still good.

There are hundreds of biker clubs/groups just in the UK, some really small with only 2 or 3 guys, we should have a few here in Thailand.

When I was down in Spain a few months ago I met 3 or 4 groups from the UK so keep trying.

There was a few but due to,too many idiots on this forum,they don't bother posting anymore they still ride just don't broadcast it on here

Either way use an idiot filter, you guys must keep trying, I made quite a few friends when I started a snooker club years ago, we don't play much snooker these days, but the friendships are still good.

There are hundreds of biker clubs/groups just in the UK, some really small with only 2 or 3 guys, we should have a few here in Thailand.

When I was down in Spain a few months ago I met 3 or 4 groups from the UK so keep trying.

Oh don't worry about me Allan I keep in contact with some ex members we have in fact just been planning a ride this week for early December ,the problem with this forum there is to many bitter people who are old now,they have had their fun on bikes years ago,they don't seem to like the younger generation getting out there and having their fun,coupled with the fact there is a lot of scooter riders that think it's cool to ride a scooter long distances sometimes without safety gear ,this is not our idea of a safe fun ride ,so we now don't bother posting ride outs on here.the guys have had it many times plan a ride post it up and you get people turn up on scooters,shorts flip flops and open faced helmets.that style might be fine for popping to ,7/11 but not for a day of 300 km riding Edited by taninthai

Oh don't worry about me Allan I keep in contact with some ex members we have in fact just been planning a ride this week for early December ,the problem with this forum there is to many bitter people who are old now,they have had their fun on bikes years ago,they don't seem to like the younger generation getting out there and having their fun,coupled with the fact there is a lot of scooter riders that think it's cool to ride a scooter long distances sometimes without safety gear ,this is not our idea of a safe fun ride ,so we now don't bother posting ride outs on here.the guys have had it many times plan a ride post it up and you get people turn up on scooters,shorts flip flops and open faced helmets.that style might be fine for popping to ,7/11 but not for a day of 300 km riding

Hmmmm, interesting rant.

Would you care to explain this " on scooters,shorts flip flops and open faced helmets.that style might be fine for popping to ,7/11 but not for a day of 300 km riding"

You really think that misfortune only strikes if you are out and about on a long ride as you quote 300km and not at all in your local area whilst popping down the road??

How can one act of riding your bike in basic attire be fine and another not be fine?

Is there a 'magic' distance travelled whereby once you pass it you are suddenly in a situation that you go from "fine" to "not fine" ?..Really??

I am sure that you will find statistically that a huge majority of crashes tend to happen near to home eg; popping to 7/11 as you say.

Edited by garryjohns

Oh don't worry about me Allan I keep in contact with some ex members we have in fact just been planning a ride this week for early December ,the problem with this forum there is to many bitter people who are old now,they have had their fun on bikes years ago,they don't seem to like the younger generation getting out there and having their fun,coupled with the fact there is a lot of scooter riders that think it's cool to ride a scooter long distances sometimes without safety gear ,this is not our idea of a safe fun ride ,so we now don't bother posting ride outs on here.the guys have had it many times plan a ride post it up and you get people turn up on scooters,shorts flip flops and open faced helmets.that style might be fine for popping to ,7/11 but not for a day of 300 km riding

Hmmmm, interesting rant.

Would you care to explain this " on scooters,shorts flip flops and open faced helmets.that style might be fine for popping to ,7/11 but not for a day of 300 km riding"

You really think that misfortune only strikes if you are out and about on a long ride as you quote 300km and not at all in your local area whilst popping down the road??

How can one act of riding your bike in basic attire be fine and another not be fine?

Is there a 'magic' distance travelled whereby once you pass it you are suddenly in a situation that you go from "fine" to "not fine" ?..Really??

I am sure that you will find statistically that a huge majority of crashes tend to happen near to home eg; popping to 7/11 as you say.

it's not a rant at all mate,that post sums up what's happened on this forum.obviously there is no magic distance but you are not gonna experience the same scenario on a trip to 7/11 as you are on an all day ride....wind blast is an example and stones flicked up into your visor.I have had bugs/stones hit the visor with a pretty hard force that would probably make you crash if you had your open face helmet and sunglasses on.

I wasn't worried about you Tanithai, but I am now.

We old farts are not at all bitter, but you?..why can you not accept that we are all different regardless of age? I think that riding a bike (usually a sports bike) fast in Thailand is pretty stupid and no amount of armour will help these people when they hit a dog, or a drunk doing a ton.

My primary safety gear is my brain, using it to ride at a safe speed, with my wits about me the whole time, using all my senses to avoid an accident. I always assume that anyone near me is an idiot or drunk, expecting anything at any time..oh and I don't wear flipflops anywhere. We could go into the pros and cons of helmets, but that is another topic that has been done to death.

It has been said before that it doesn't matter what you ride (or how or where you ride) as long as you ride, a kind of rider's charter. So please join us in that philosophy.

The classification I suggested would take care of most issues by a simple "kindred spirit" grouping.

Try to relax man, no one is forcing you to wear flip-flops, or ride a scooter.

For me I would join a group of scooter boys on my 110i Wave with drum brakes, or join some old farts on my big bike, consider most things that weren't illegal, immoral, or fattening.

^

as a rider?, if you are discussing the pros or cons of a helmet, better take a walk.

you ride with your brain you say but one day a car might rear end you and your brain might be exposed on the asphalt.

our brain is to think and to take necessary safety precautions. it is not made of steel or it does not have superpowers. if your brain does not say that to you, better get it checked.

regarding riding groups for OP, first better state what you are looking for than what you are not looking for.

also what bike you ride at what speeds?

Edited by maykilceksin

I wasn't worried about you Tanithai, but I am now.

We old farts are not at all bitter, but you?..why can you not accept that we are all different regardless of age? I think that riding a bike (usually a sports bike) fast in Thailand is pretty stupid and no amount of armour will help these people when they hit a dog, or a drunk doing a ton.

My primary safety gear is my brain, using it to ride at a safe speed, with my wits about me the whole time, using all my senses to avoid an accident. I always assume that anyone near me is an idiot or drunk, expecting anything at any time..oh and I don't wear flipflops anywhere. We could go into the pros and cons of helmets, but that is another topic that has been done to death.

It has been said before that it doesn't matter what you ride (or how or where you ride) as long as you ride, a kind of rider's charter. So please join us in that philosophy.

The classification I suggested would take care of most issues by a simple "kindred spirit" grouping.

Try to relax man, no one is forcing you to wear flip-flops, or ride a scooter.

For me I would join a group of scooter boys on my 110i Wave with drum brakes, or join some old farts on my big bike, consider most things that weren't illegal, immoral, or fattening.

i think most comments on this forum go right over most peoples heads , allan you seem obsessed with comments about people wanting to ride sports bikes at high speeds in thailand,i have never ridden a sports bike in thailand and the people i have ridden with also are not on sports bikes.....

you also contradict your self stating its pretty stupid riding a bike at a ton ,but then go onto say it doesn't matter what you ride when you ride or how you ride as long as you ride............100 is the limit so you are allowed to ride at that speed and many do .thats the same limit as the uk and believe me doing that speed on the motorway in the uk is pretty slow and you will have other vehicles passing you left right and centre and this is why little scooters are banned from motorways in the uk because they are to slow to be safe .

Edited by taninthai

OP I am an old fart but not bitter and twisted 555. I honestly don't care what what people wear when they ride their bikes, what ever makes you feel comfortable. I will wear a full face helmet and a jacket but that is my choice, not because somebody told me to wear it. Anyway OP i don't know exactly what you are looking for but i am in Samut Prakarn, riding an ER6N.

Jan

Well this one certainly went over my head Thanthai, I was using the sports bike image as most people I see riding fast are on sports bike, both in Thailand and Europe.

How is a contradiction to say that I think it stupid riding too fast on Thai roads and then say it is up to you what, where and how you ride? I just keep clear and let you do your own thing and hope you will be okay.

A "ton" refers to 100mph (approx 160kph) and that is not a legal speed in Thailand, or the UK, just one or two road in Germany.

As to the open/full face helmet issue is concerned, if you get rear ended by a car your full face will give you a bit of jaw protection nothing more, but reduce your ability to see the car about to attempt a rear entry upon your person, in the first place along with other accidents.offtopic.gif

If you do not wish to ride with a certain type of person, riding a certain type of bike, in a certain type of way, find someone who suits you. This particular thread is about finding like minding people to ride with for a bit of fun, an important facet of biking everywhere in the world.

Why do we have to go down this same old route of whinging about every other topic, but the one at hand?

You started it Allan so any route it goes down is your fault. That's why most left this forum.

Your defense of an open face helmet compared to a full face helmet is just laughable.

Left or got kicked out??
Only one person that I know of got kicked out as you put it, the rest just left and moved onto another forum.

You started it Allan so any route it goes down is your fault. That's why most left this forum.

Your defense of an open face helmet compared to a full face helmet is just laughable.

Left or got kicked out??

As Shurup above mentioned, one got kicked out, the rest left. Left because the forum had degenerated with some posters (supposedly ex-riders) with nothing better to do but to troll and bait, instead of talking about actual riding.

To the OP, the FB link is a good group, we get together for relaxing day rides at times. Within that group, there are also a few hardcore riders on sportsbikes - if you're an accomplished rider, you would be able to keep up on a 650, otherwise a 1000 cc would be advisable. Finally, there are also some touring riders (as alluded to by taninthai - as he mentioned, a week's ride in December to the North is being planned as we speak). You're welcome to join if your preferred riding style for such touring rides are in line for eg, cruising speeds of around 120-140, short blasts (conditions permitting) of up to 160-180, average daily mileage of 300 - 400 kms.

If you're interested, send me a PM, I will include you into the FB group.

Left or got kicked out??

As Shurup above mentioned, one got kicked out, the rest left. Left because the forum had degenerated with some posters (supposedly ex-riders) with nothing better to do but to troll and bait, instead of talking about actual riding.

To the OP, the FB link is a good group, we get together for relaxing day rides at times. Within that group, there are also a few hardcore riders on sportsbikes - if you're an accomplished rider, you would be able to keep up on a 650, otherwise a 1000 cc would be advisable. Finally, there are also some touring riders (as alluded to by taninthai - as he mentioned, a week's ride in December to the North is being planned as we speak). You're welcome to join if your preferred riding style for such touring rides are in line for eg, cruising speeds of around 120-140, short blasts (conditions permitting) of up to 160-180, average daily mileage of 300 - 400 kms.

If you're interested, send me a PM, I will include you into the FB group.

Interesting...The way i saw it was that a certain group of ''big bike'' riders tended to want to dominate this forum and in their opinion anyone who didn't ride a ''big bike'' was not really a motorcyclist and were often treated with contempt and ridicule by these guys .

When the most obnoxious one was kicked out the rest of you apparently focused your attacks on the new sheriff who instead of kicking you all out, instead severely curtailed your raves...hence you all threw your toys out of the sandbox and went off to another forum.

This forum has had a rather peaceful existence up till the last couple of days, so the question must be asked;

Why have a few of you come back to this ''boring'' forum again, if not just to be stirring things up again.?

Must be not much of interest going on on the new forum huh.. whistling.gif

Edited by garryjohns