How come posters 'lose' items like passports.

thaiduncankk

No, I do not teach English but it amazes me how many posters use the word 'loose' when something is lost ?

Lose - become unable to find, fail to get or win.

Loose - able to move freely, not close fitting.

I am not having a go at anyone in particular, especially non native speakers, but the word pops up in almost every topic discussed.

I apologize if anyone is offended in me pointing the difference out.

It's mainly Australians and non-native speakers.

Quite a lot of Australians seem to leave school without learning to read or write at all.

Not sure why, but I know plenty who learnt to read and write after their formal schooling finished.

Im a non native speaker I make mistakes.. and spellchecker wont pick up on those kind of errors. So be it, I also don't check my posts too much, i post for fun so i don't feel its that important.

of course it's not important but it is still surprising how many native speakers make that mistake. one of the reasons is that there is no difference in pronunciation between "lose" and "loose".

i always smile when i read "he is a looser" and think of Mr. Mattheson (our English teacher when we were teenagers) who explained to us German pupils that a "looser" means "diarrhea" and then got a roaring laughter from us when he used the rather vulgar German word "Dünnschiss" (thin sh*t) with his explanation laugh.png

Im a non native speaker I make mistakes.. and spellchecker wont pick up on those kind of errors. So be it, I also don't check my posts too much, i post for fun so i don't feel its that important.

of course it's not important but it is still surprising how many native speakers make that mistake. one of the reasons is that there is no difference in pronunciation between "lose" and "loose".

i always smile when i read "he is a looser" and think of Mr. Mattheson (our English teacher when we were teenagers) who explained to us German pupils that a "looser" means "diarrhea" and then got a roaring laughter from us when he used the rather vulgar German word "Dünnschiss" (thin sh*t) with his explanation laugh.png

Diarrhoea

Apart from Loose, Lose is pronounced looze, but it has nothing to do with a washroom/toilet. tongue.png

Diarrhoea

"Diarrhoea" = just another spelling

Why is there two different ways of spelling diarrhoea?
Origin

Late Middle English: via late Latin diarrhoea from Greek diarrhoia, from diarrhein 'flow through', from dia 'through' + rhein 'to flow'.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/american_english/diarrhea

It's mainly Australians and non-native speakers.

Quite a lot of Australians seem to leave school without learning to read or write at all.

Not sure why, but I know plenty who learnt to read and write after their formal schooling finished.

Can't comment on that because the few times I tried to speak with Australians I couldn't understand one word. While I can communicate with any other English speaking people.....

I wonder how many mistakes the OP makes when speaking Thai wink.png

He had "I apologize if anyone is offended in me pointing the difference out." Seems to me there is some thing wrong in there. Perhaps at me would have been a bit more appropriate.

Lose rhymes with 'snooze'

Loose rhymes with 'moose'

When I went to school, different pronunciations !

also different meanings.

Edited by northernjohn